Heritage Classic Street ,on a local note.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Rick Brown, Michael Palero

David Barrish
Club: PSCC
Car#: 58

Heritage Classic Street ,on a local note.

Post by David Barrish » Thu May 02, 2019 4:58 pm

Having proved that a locally prepared NA Miata is lots of fun, but the ship has sailed and I will leave the E Street class to those in the newer cars. So, for the time being I have the 1982 BMW 320 up and running. The car is smog legal, with current tags. The question will come up, why not FSP? The answer, is tires. Then you need wide rims. That mean having to work the fenders. And have the coil over struts with the hard as hades springs.

Not going to happen. That and I have a stash of RE-71R's that will work under the stock fenders. On 15x7 rims. With a 1.8 ltr. four cylinder. In a car that new put out 99 hp and weighed 2450 lbs.

Again, the car is ready to once again try not to scrape the door handles around the tight corners. Will see.

David Barrish
Club: PSCC
Car#: 58

Re: Heritage Classic Street ,on a local note.

Post by David Barrish » Tue May 07, 2019 10:13 pm

That was a fun weekend and a relearning curve. The first half of Saturday went well, the afternoon started off with hard starting and the car lost it's edge. Sunday morning it would not hold an idle.

I have to thank Robert Baltazar for finding the issue and providing the fix to get me into the event. And it held for the drive home. Almost running out of gas on Sunday, that was humbling. Thank you to Tom Berry for the gas. I am reminded that what the gage is telling me, is an approximation of the contents of the saddle tanks. Yes there are two, little ones, with a connection at the low point and a pump only on the passenger side. A transfer pump between tanks, showed up on later models.

Having some time to check on the things I repaired to get the car to the event uncovered a nick, that looks like bite, in a fan blade. The stress cracks make it obvious it is getting replaced along with a hose on the intake system. But it was fun and the car does like the wider tires. The door handles, survived until the next event.