Rules Clarification: When no class exists

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Rick Brown

Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Club: CASOC
Car#: 17

Rules Clarification: When no class exists

Post by Christine Grice »

So in the process of calculating the year end points I have stumbled upon a rules question.

I was using rule 7.3.2 (a) to calculate a lady's score when she was the only one in the class.

7.3.2 WHEN NO CLASS EXISTS:
(a) Ladies class participants shall earn points by using the formula in 7.3 with 5% added to the lowest time of all drivers holding a current CSCC SOLO Points Card in the corresponding Open class, with a maximum of 100 points possible.
(b) Open class drivers shall earn their average if their class does not exist per 7.2.
(c) Ladies shall earn their average if their class and the corresponding Open class does not exist as per 7.2
(d) Prepared and Modified (Prep/Mod) may still be combined when a class does not exist as per 7.2, with times adjusted in accordance with the PAX index as listed in Appendix C.

A competitor has contacted me asking why they didn't get their average for an event (which would be much higher than what is calculated with 7.3.2a) citing rule 7.3.3

7.3.3 UNCOMPLETED CLASSES: Competitors in uncompleted Classes shall earn their average. When no Class exists or a competitor is not permitted to complete his/her runs, that driver shall earn his/her average.

So the question is: What is the purpose of rule 7.3.3, and which rule should be used to calculate a lady's points when she is the only one in her class?
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Re: Rules Clarification: When no class exists

Post by Rick Brown »

Christine Berry wrote:So in the process of calculating the year end points I have stumbled upon a rules question.

I was using rule 7.3.2 (a) to calculate a lady's score when she was the only one in the class.

7.3.2 WHEN NO CLASS EXISTS:
(a) Ladies class participants shall earn points by using the formula in 7.3 with 5% added to the lowest time of all drivers holding a current CSCC SOLO Points Card in the corresponding Open class, with a maximum of 100 points possible.
(b) Open class drivers shall earn their average if their class does not exist per 7.2.
(c) Ladies shall earn their average if their class and the corresponding Open class does not exist as per 7.2
(d) Prepared and Modified (Prep/Mod) may still be combined when a class does not exist as per 7.2, with times adjusted in accordance with the PAX index as listed in Appendix C.

A competitor has contacted me asking why they didn't get their average for an event (which would be much higher than what is calculated with 7.3.2a) citing rule 7.3.3

7.3.3 UNCOMPLETED CLASSES: Competitors in uncompleted Classes shall earn their average. When no Class exists or a competitor is not permitted to complete his/her runs, that driver shall earn his/her average.

So the question is: What is the purpose of rule 7.3.3, and which rule should be used to calculate a lady's points when she is the only one in her class?
7.3.3 is supposed to be for when a class is interrupted due to weather or other cause. The "When no Class exists" part shouldn't be in there.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

The wording is clearly unclear... If not outright wrong.

Every thing works until 7.3.3 says something about No class exists. That shoud be clarified to when no Open class exists.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!

So it sounds like 7.3.3 should actually read:

7.3.3 UNCOMPLETED CLASSES: Competitors in uncompleted Classes shall earn their average.

(while we are fixing the supp regs, can we fix the SK rules to reference the current SCCA rulebook instead of the 2003 rulebook?)
~Christine Grice
Giovanni Jaramillo

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Christine Berry wrote:can we fix ?
Just create a new thread with your proposed changes for the 2009 Supp Regs in this forum and the rules chairman (Curt Luther) will incorporate them.
Giovanni Jaramillo

Also talk to Craig Naylor as he really wants to trim the fat off of the supp regs (i.e. too wordy, redundancy of info, wrong info).
Curt Luther
Car#: 9
Location: Lookin' in Mike's cooler for "water" ;)...and my underwear

Post by Curt Luther »

Christine Berry wrote:(while we are fixing the supp regs, can we fix the SK rules to reference the current SCCA rulebook instead of the 2003 rulebook?)
Damn. Missed one. There were some dating back to the 1999 rulebook...
Rev. Dr. Curtis J. Luther, Esq., M.D.
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!

Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:
Just create a new thread with your proposed changes for the 2009 Supp Regs in this forum and the rules chairman (Curt Luther) will incorporate them.
Why use the extra space and clutter up the message board? Its just a little thing, and I got my point across to Curt :thumbup:
~Christine Grice
Giovanni Jaramillo

Christine Berry wrote:
Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:
Why use the extra space and clutter up the message board? Its just a little thing, and I got my point across to Curt :thumbup:
True, just easier to see as a separate thread, assuming you had more changes to make. Glad we're fixing the supp regs just in time for 2009.