Pointers/Directional Cones

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Rick Brown

George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Re: Pointers/Directional Cones

Post by George Schilling »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:My suggestion on the rule was more in regards to the pointer cone oversight that it seems most regions have failed to deal with. "Everybody knows"....

I hear you on the libertarian mantra, but I've been on the wrong end of clubs and event masters in this region whipping out the supps to twist an outcome to their agenda. It isn't pretty.
Like you, I haven't bothered to read the supp, but if it's just a matter of adding cone/pointer cone, I could support that. But you know how I hate rules. :P
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
John Fendel
Car#: 23

Post by John Fendel »

I stopped and the course worker just stood there staring at me. Possibly newbie?
I made the call, as Event Chair, to allow the 4th run during the run group. If the run was not made we could not allow it or disallow it (disallow would be the only option). Then I asked for all the evidence to be presented. After I reviewed the case I made the call. The motor home made some incorrect statements over the P.A. and as we all know the announcer's words are not official.
It sounds like the correct procedures were followed, but a lot of uninformed discussion resulted from opinions about what people thought occurred. The driver did what he was supposed to do, stop and point problem to course worker. New worker didn't understand what was being pointed out to him. Driver then proceeded rather then pose a possible safety hazard for following drivers. Since safety is our primary objective, this was the correct action for the driver.
The event chair granted a provisional re-run based on the initial information. This allowed him the option of allowing the re-run or denying the re-run based on a more thorough review of the facts. The re-un was subsequently allowed.
So despite an inexperienced course worker, the event proceeded efficiently and safely, the incident was reviewed with all the facts in hand and the outcome was decided in an orderly manner. It did show that there is an item that needs to be added to the supp regs and this should be handled quickly.
If it weren't for the peripheral opinions/discussions, this wouldn't have turned in to a tempest in a teapot. It does show that people should refrain from expressing their opinions so quickly and wait to get all the facts.
#ALSaware, GRC Performance, Red Line Oil
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I haven't seen this tempest in a teapot reaction anywhere? What am I missing?
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Michael Palero
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 18

Post by Michael Palero »

Bill Schenker wrote: But what about that pax seat? You see that thing? it may be "legal" but it sure as h*ll ain't sanitary looking!
I blame Lugod
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Doug Teulie wrote:
Rick Brown wrote:I agree, the provisional rerun should count.
Jonathan Lugod, ST Rerun approved for Sunday March 20th, 2011.
Run 3 marked as rerun, provisional run now counts (even though his fastest run was actually run 2 so no change in the results).
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 194

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

Rick Brown wrote:
Doug Teulie wrote:
Rick Brown wrote:I agree, the provisional rerun should count.
Run 3 marked as rerun, provisional run now counts (even though his fastest run was actually run 2 so no change in the results).
my run 2 had a cone. 68.896+1 my provisional was a 69.121 (i think?) which puts me in 5th place for the event and my overall points changes as well. That is unless there was a cone during that run.
http://www.osgiken.net
4 BSP- 2019 Mazda ND Miata - 2001 SSM Honda S2000
OS Giken / Bride / ShaftWorks USA
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Jonathan Lugod wrote:
Rick Brown wrote:
Doug Teulie wrote:
my run 2 had a cone. 68.896+1 my provisional was a 69.121 (i think?) which puts me in 5th place for the event and my overall points changes as well. That is unless there was a cone during that run.
You're right, didn't notice the cone on your 2nd run. Just looking at the timing computer, haven't generated updated results yet.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...