Local vs national run idea

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Rick Brown

Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 30

Local vs national run idea

Post by Anthony P. »

After attending my first national event I realize why we used to keep our local events to 3 runs (participation aside). It was a real challenge getting it done in 3. Having 4 runs locally is appreciated and I like that as well so....

A comprise I was encouraged to share was that we still have 4 runs but that the last run is considered an x-run and doesn't count, but would give the opportunity to "clean up that one corner". If I knew a way; it would also be neat if the fourth run were counted as an x-run and paxed with the rest for them with an additional 15 dollars in solobucks for the #1 person. Thereby everyone gets 4 runs and everyone gets 3 competition runs.
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Re: Local vs national run idea

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Most programs around the country do 4+ runs. I doubt you'll get much traction trying to cut back our "in competition" runs around here. Especially when the simple rebuttal is "You can skip a run if you don't like four." Or "why can't you just pretend to only get three?"

Jay W
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Looks like your Tour car owner dropped a bug in yur ear. Bill has preached that idea for several years now.

We offered in both SD and LA 4 runs regularly for many years. In the mid aughts participation in both regions jumped above 300 participants for a few years and 3 runs became the norm. With the change in economy,participation once again fell,and were often back up to 4 runs. As Jayson pointed out, many parts of the country offer even more runs. I ran a local event elsewhere where they didn't send the first car out till 10am... offered 6 runs, and then had nearly 2 hrs of fun runs, packed up and off site by 5pm. Sure they were only 30 sec. runs... but it felt like a good deal for your money.

In today's economy, it's even more important to offer that feeling of bang for your buck. Due to fixed costs we can't really lower the buck side of the equation... but we can offer more bang in the form of the number of runs.

When I started in '97 the entry fee was $20 with a $5 (San Diego) weekend membership fee. With inflation that $25 would be $35.87 in 2014 dollars.
In 2014 we charge $35 entry fee ($35 in LA / $30 + $5 weekend membership in SD)+ $15 SCCA National weekend membership fee. So in real dollars it costs almost half as much more today than it did when I started. We need to offer more for that money. In LA if one were to take advantage of the reduced price no work X runs, you do have to fork out twice the money... but you can get close on a per run cost to what I paid when I started (inflation adjusted) Take runs away... and your not offering such a good deal.
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Craig Naylor wrote:
Anthony Porta wrote:After attending my first national event I realize why we used to keep our local events to 3 runs (participation aside). It was a real challenge getting it done in 3. Having 4 runs locally is appreciated and I like that as well so....

A comprise I was encouraged to share was that we still have 4 runs but that the last run is considered an x-run and doesn't count, but would give the opportunity to "clean up that one corner".
Take runs away... and your not offering such a good deal.
How about that......I agree with you both. I'll bring it up at the next meeting. :gpower:
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 30

Post by Anthony P. »

Actually it wasn't anyone's suggestion but I did notice that there was a difference in only having three runs. I coned both my first runs not thinking about making the first one clean "just in case". I would like to have as many runs as possible with smaller run groups. I miss the dollar runs! It was a great opportunity to drive my car and others. While the tour comes close once a year it would be nice to have that pressure / excitement accessible more than once a season.
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

Or just get a less reliable car. Every run is potentially your last! }:)
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

I'm pretty sure it would be a minority opinion to cut to three counting runs. But you can DIY. Just take out an early cone on your last run. And tell people ahead of time so you don't wimp out.
Ed Holley
Club: CASOC
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

Anthony Porta wrote:After attending my first national event I realize why we used to keep our local events to 3 runs (participation aside). It was a real challenge getting it done in 3. Having 4 runs locally is appreciated and I like that as well so.....
I think we need more runs...like 8 @Nationals, and 10 or 15 locally. And then you pick your best 3 (or 4). :D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :gpower:
Unfortunately, I still would not get it done.
Hey wait, maybe what I said, but National winning drivers are REQUIRED to ride/drive WITH YOU. But, of course THOSE runs would not count.

BTW, Anthony...great driving in that Schlong-mobile. You da man!!
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata