Club: SCNAX
Car#: 18

Are We Allowed to See Club Team Picks?

Post by Michael Palero »

Are we allowed to see Team Picks?
John Fendel
Club: CASOC
Car#: 23

Re: Are We Allowed to See Club Team Picks?

Post by John Fendel »

Are we allowed to see Team Picks?
The teams are listed in the results page for the event. The teams for the Team points are the highest PAX finishing members of each club. The Team Challenge members are selected by each club and submitted to registration before the first runs are started at each event.
#ALSaware, GRC Performance, Red Line Oil
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Its not private, but we do nothing to make it fun and interesting then we complain when there is a lack of participation or whatever....

Just hang a white board or cork board on the motorhome and have teams post their picks each morning so people can see and watch the "action". I'm been screaming about that since 2000. Usually the response I got at meetings was some irrelevant non-sequitor, like national drivers sucks and CASUCK ruins everything.

Like I said, and accused of unsportsmanlike behavior for saying it.... We have the best talent, weather, sites in the country. How hard do we have to work at screwing it up to get where we are???
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Michael Palero
King of Fastrack!

Post by Michael Palero »

John Fendel wrote: The teams are listed in the results page for the event.
I see those. What is that competition called?
John Fendel wrote: The Team Challenge members are selected by each club and submitted to registration before the first runs are started at each event.
Does that mean I'd have to ask registration to see Team Challenge picks at every event?

Are there Team Challenge results?
Last edited by Michael Palero on Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Michael Palero wrote:
John Fendel wrote: The teams are listed in the results page for the event.
I see those. What is that competition called?
John Fendel wrote: The Team Challenge members are selected by each club and submitted to registration before the first runs are started at each event.
Does that mean I'd have to ask registration to see Team Challenge picks at every event?

Are there Team Challege results?
John posts them for every event.

The picks are in the cash box.. don't know if they want you rooting around in there. I'd probably just ask your club rep if you want to know who they picked. George Shilling always walks around in the morning before the race and polls the casoc people about how they feel they're gunna do and takes recommendations.

Joey managed to bump me out of the last CASOC Club Points Challenge spot, damn it. (The REAL Challenge, haha)
Michael Palero
King of Fastrack!

Post by Michael Palero »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:
The picks are in the cash box.. don't know if they want you rooting around in there. I'd probably just ask your club rep if you want to know who they picked. George Shilling always walks around in the morning before the race and polls the casoc people about how they feel they're gunna do and takes recommendations.

Joey managed to bump me out of the last CASOC Club Points Challenge spot, damn it. (The REAL Challenge, haha)
But what if I'd like to see another team's picks?
Aaron Goldsmith

Michael Palero wrote:
Aaron Goldsmith wrote:

But what if I'd like to see another team's picks?
Dig'm out of the cash box I guess. Feel free to post'm on a white board too, :lol:.

http://www.solo2.com/Results/2008_team_points.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Haven't looked in a while, damn PSCC is CLOSE in the pick a team challenge. Trying to take down the club with the longest winning streak in the cal club history. ;)
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

I think Steve's on to something good with the whiteboard list on the side of the motorhome. It would certainly make the elective team challenge more interesting to me if I knew who was on each team.

Mike
Aaron Goldsmith

Mike Simanyi wrote:I think Steve's on to something good with the whiteboard list on the side of the motorhome. It would certainly make the elective team challenge more interesting to me if I knew who was on each team.

Mike
It is always fun to talk a little trash to the folks who get picked for the team :lol:
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote: It is always fun to talk a little trash to the folks who get picked for the team :lol:
I'm not exactly sure what that means, Aaron, so I'll just repeat that a simple solution - like the one proposed by Steve - can both (a) remind the clubs that they need to submit their picks and (b) clarify for everyone spectating which cars are involved in the Challenge.

It sure seems simple to me...

Mike
Michael Palero
King of Fastrack!

Post by Michael Palero »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote: Dig'm out of the cash box I guess. Feel free to post'm on a white board too, :lol:.
Does the lol imply that we're not allowed to see other team picks?
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

Your reading too far into this Mike. The easiest way currently would be to ask the club reps. A second way would be to ask to see them in the cash box. We are not trying to hide them, the cash box is just a place that we say to put them so that everyone knows at least one way to turn them in. John Fendel has also been accepting them in person and through emails. The only restriction is that you have to turn it in before the event starts.

However, I think Mike and Steve are trying to say that since no one even turned in a team for the September event (and the July divisionals) maybe we need to bring a little attention to this team challenge if it is even going to be worth having it at all. Maybe not a white board because that can get erased during the day, just use one sheet of paper per team and tape them to the side of the motorhome.
Last edited by Christine Grice on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
Aaron Goldsmith

Michael Palero wrote:
Aaron Goldsmith wrote: Dig'm out of the cash box I guess. Feel free to post'm on a white board too, :lol:.
Does the lol imply that we're not allowed to see other team picks?
It implies that i find this amusing. Though it's more like it's explicit. :lol:

Dunno why you seem to think this is some kinda conspiracy to keep you from the picks.. fell fee to designate yourself pick poster and put up a white board with the picks.
Michael Palero
King of Fastrack!

Post by Michael Palero »

Christine Berry wrote:Your reading too far into this Mike. The easiest way currently would be to ask the club reps. A second way would be to ask to see them in the cash box. We are not trying to hide them, the cash box is just a place that we say to put them so that everyone knows at least one way to turn them in. John Fendel has also been accepting them in person and through emails. The only restriction is that you have to turn it in before the event starts.

However, I think Mike and Steve are trying to say that since no one even turned in a team for the September event maybe we need to bring a little attention to this team challenge if it is even going to be worth having it at all. Maybe not a white board because that can get erased during the day, just use one sheet of paper per team and tape them to the side of the motorhome.
Well I just wanted to make sure. I've only been around here for a year, so I never know. I wouldn't want to go under the cash box, pick out the papers and then get yelled at by all the core workers for posting something sacred.

I just found out about the whole Team Pick Challenge 2 days ago when someone on the TeamBLEW board mentioned something about picking people for some challenge.
Michael Palero
King of Fastrack!

Post by Michael Palero »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:
It implies that i find this amusing. Though it's more like it's explicit. :lol:

Dunno why you seem to think this is some kinda conspiracy to keep you from the picks.. fell fee to designate yourself pick poster and put up a white board with the picks.
See my last post... I was Just trying to cover my ass by asking first. I wasn't sure if we are or aren't allowed to see them. no conspiracy theorizing here.
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

Michael Palero wrote: I just found out about the whole Team Pick Challenge 2 days ago when someone on the TeamBLEW board mentioned something about picking people for some challenge.
Perfect example of why we need to make the Team Challenge more visible during the events to make it worth the effort of remembering to pick teams.

Background information for you:

Currently we have two sets of team competitions, Team Points and the Team Challenge.

Team Points: Based on the Overall Pax results, Each team gets points for their top 5 paxing members.
Team Challenge: Each club picks 5 people before the begining of the event to compete on their team. They get points for how they do in their class.

We used to have only the Team Challenge format but after we got the computer system that automatically paxed the whole event it became easier to use the Team Points format. After a couple of years some people complained that the same people were getting points for the teams each month and it was no longer a "team" thing. So we brought back the original Team Challenge as an experiment to see how it did.

The reality is that the Team Points format takes no effort at all where as the Team Challenge requires you to know who is attending the event and what class they are running and remember to turn in the team before the event starts. I like both formats but it would appear as though the Team Challenge is struggling to stay afloat because most of the clubs haven't turned in teams for a while. Posting the Teams on the side of the motorhome, maybe along with a points summary up to that point is one way to raise the level of awareness for the Team Competitions.
:thumbup:
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Christine Berry wrote: We used to have only the Team Challenge format but after we got the computer system that automatically paxed the whole event it became easier to use the Team Points format. After a couple of years some people complained that the same people were getting points for the teams each month and it was no longer a "team" thing. So we brought back the original Team Challenge as an experiment to see how it did.

The reality is that the Team Points format takes no effort at all where as the Team Challenge requires you to know who is attending the event and what class they are running and remember to turn in the team before the event starts. I like both formats but it would appear as though the Team Challenge is struggling to stay afloat because most of the clubs haven't turned in teams for a while. Posting the Teams on the side of the motorhome, maybe along with a points summary up to that point is one way to raise the level of awareness for the Team Competitions.
Yep, no reason not to post it. Maybe even print up some large format sheets with the team names and spaces for the 5 members plus the alternate and maybe even a spot to put each member's points as their class finishes.

Not sure there is a problem with the Team Challenge staying afloat, it's just easier sometimes to let it default to the last team turned in. PSCC got 3 500's in a row that way! Of course we all blew the Sept event by not updating our teams.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

I guarantee you if a few skilled spewers instigated a strategically focused trash talking campaign it'd immediately go up the list of priorities for anyone with a competitive bone in their body (which I assume is pretty much everyone in autoX, by definition).
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Rick Brown wrote:
Christine Berry wrote: We used to have only the Team Challenge format but after we got the computer system that automatically paxed the whole event it became easier to use the Team Points format. After a couple of years some people complained that the same people were getting points for the teams each month and it was no longer a "team" thing. So we brought back the original Team Challenge as an experiment to see how it did.

Yep, no reason not to post it. Maybe even print up some large format sheets with the team names and spaces for the 5 members plus the alternate and maybe even a spot to put each member's points as their class finishes.

Not sure there is a problem with the Team Challenge staying afloat, it's just easier sometimes to let it default to the last team turned in. PSCC got 3 500's in a row that way! Of course we all blew the Sept event by not updating our teams.
We have sheets printed up, SOMEWHERE! :P

And yeah, I noticed PSCC's complacency trumped CASOC's complacency for the last several events. But we're back on the ball now and back in the lead. :gpower:
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Chuck Fowler
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 299

Post by Chuck Fowler »

i guess since i'm the one who started this, i should 'splain.
i've been having trouble with the TeamBlew picks not getting to John this year. i was turning them in when i registered, but then John couldn't find them later. we then decided that i could also e-mail them to him as a back up and if i saw him before the event, i handed my list to him. manual delivery worked but the e-mail didn't.
the last 2 events i PM'd him through the forums (i missed sept and didn't see him before oct) and it seems they are not going through or he's not being advised he has a PM when he logs on. also i've noticed there's alot of "used team from previous event" going on this year. whether it's most teams not wanting to change who they pick or what, i don't know.
so...i decided that i should be posting on our forums who i'm selecting, which caused Michael to ask what i was talking about.
i've now asked Max to see at the next meeting if ALL the teams list could be posted before the event.
now however i've decided i will just start a new thread every event and any other team that wan't to post it's choices is welcome.

edit: i like Steve's idea too :thumbup:
it's only paranoia if your wrong
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Chuck Fowler wrote:i've now asked Max to see at the next meeting if ALL the teams list could be posted before the event.
now however i've decided i will just start a new thread every event and any other team that wan't to post it's choices is welcome.

I know I and some others don't figure it out until the morning of the event because I don't always know who will be there or even what class they will run.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Aaron Goldsmith

Rick Brown wrote:
Chuck Fowler wrote:i've now asked Max to see at the next meeting if ALL the teams list could be posted before the event.

I know I and some others don't figure it out until the morning of the event because I don't always know who will be there or even what class they will run.
yeah, i know George doesn't do CASOCs till he gets there and talks to people.
Chuck Fowler

Post by Chuck Fowler »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:
Rick Brown wrote:

yeah, i know George doesn't do CASOCs till he gets there and talks to people.
no problem with that. this is not in any way saying they should ever need to be in until the start of the event. just an additional way of getting some info out.
if we can have people getting wound up about guessing the F1 finish why not local too?
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Some of the teams have so few members we don't turn in a sheet, we just run the standing team. When were lucky we actually have 5 people there.
Chuck Fowler

Post by Chuck Fowler »

Craig Naylor wrote:Some of the teams have so few members we don't turn in a sheet, we just run the standing team. When were lucky we actually have 5 people there.
it's silly season, start recruiting :thumbup: