Receiving class average

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Rick Brown

Curt Luther
Club: PSCC
Car#: 9
Location: Lookin' in Mike's cooler for "water" ;)...and my underwear

Receiving class average

Post by Curt Luther »

We always hear of people requesting/receiving their "average" for being at a road race or I've even heard national solo events. Is this the section that covers it?:

7.7 TOTAL POINTS: Points for each competitor will be totaled at the end of the year.
The driver’s Class or overall average (per 7.4 or 7.5) shall be added respectively
for each non-work/run Event. Each competitor must have worked on the day of the
event or have approval from the CSCC SOLO Committee to be listed on the
results as a Sanctioned Event Official for work outside of the event. This approval
must be requested by the Event Chairman.

If so, it seems clear cut yet vague. I would understand if we used this section for someone like Renee who works as a grid chief at road race events, but it doesn't seem to cover other Solo events.

I'm asking 'cause I may be working on a crew at the ARRC at Road Atlanta causing me to miss the event on Nov. 9th. Just wondering if I gotta chance at an average. The section above says I don't, but I'm just curious on where we stand, as a region on this.
Rev. Dr. Curtis J. Luther, Esq., M.D.
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Re: Receiving class average

Post by George Schilling »

Curt Luther wrote:We always hear of people requesting/receiving their "average" for being at a road race or I've even heard national solo events. Is this the section that covers it?:

7.7 TOTAL POINTS: Points for each competitor will be totaled at the end of the year.
The driver’s Class or overall average (per 7.4 or 7.5) shall be added respectively
for each non-work/run Event. Each competitor must have worked on the day of the
event or have approval from the CSCC SOLO Committee to be listed on the
results as a Sanctioned Event Official for work outside of the event. This approval
must be requested by the Event Chairman.

If so, it seems clear cut yet vague. I would understand if we used this section for someone like Renee who works as a grid chief at road race events, but it doesn't seem to cover other Solo events.

I'm asking 'cause I may be working on a crew at the ARRC at Road Atlanta causing me to miss the event on Nov. 9th. Just wondering if I gotta chance at an average. The section above says I don't, but I'm just curious on where we stand, as a region on this.
I just looked through the rules and could find nothing more than you did Curt. It seems sufficiently vague with regard to who qualifies that a wording change should be considered to make is clearer.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Glenn Duensing
Car#: 28
Location: Relaxin' and chillin' on the third rock from the Sun.

Post by Glenn Duensing »

That's because it never passed. However it's suppose to be SCCA events. The orginal proposal was to get your average for attending a West Coast SCCA National Event as the Tour or Pros. What is been allowed is any SCCA event.
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Glenn Duensing wrote:That's attending a West Coast SCCA National Event as the Tour or Pros.
We haven't limited them to west coast, that's just the majority of the requests. I've gotten an average for a Tour in Texas in '05, and we've given them for far away SCCA functions.

The way we apply it, it doesn't really need to be in the rules. My recollection is driver's request and the committee approve or denys. This can happy with any request, it doesn't have to be in the rule book (e.g. I've requested to use the timer box, committe approved). But I guess it's such a common thing that it should get a mention. I'd just be careful to specifiy it's up to the committee and leave the type of events that qualify very vauge so we don't get locked in or out.

I think the section quoted at the top is for hard workers at local events not getting a change to race their own event. Most of us have done this at one point or another, but I've never seen a request.

Jay W
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Please take this discussion to the E-board forum.

Mike
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Jayson Woodruff wrote:
Glenn Duensing wrote:That's attending a West Coast SCCA National Event as the Tour or Pros.
We haven't limited them to west coast, that's just the majority of the requests. I've gotten an average for a Tour in Texas in '05, and we've given them for far away SCCA functions.

The way we apply it, it doesn't really need to be in the rules. My recollection is driver's request and the committee approve or denys. This can happy with any request, it doesn't have to be in the rule book (e.g. I've requested to use the timer box, committe approved). But I guess it's such a common thing that it should get a mention. I'd just be careful to specifiy it's up to the committee and leave the type of events that qualify very vauge so we don't get locked in or out.

I think the section quoted at the top is for hard workers at local events not getting a change to race their own event. Most of us have done this at one point or another, but I've never seen a request.

Jay W
This actually dates way back to when hosting clubs did not run their own events. The host club provided all the workers and competitors only drove, didn't have to work at all! So you got your average for the event, assuming you showed up on the worker list. Also the reason for the term "work/run" event in the rules which appeared when we started having events where you had to work and run.

The current usage for averages for competing in National Events developed after we became an SCCA region and members began to compete seriously on a National level. Then it was extended to other events like the SCCA Convention and working SCCA road racing including the LBGP. I tend to agree with Jay that it should remain loosly defined but maybe something at least in the minutes of a meeting listing the type of things it's intended for.

Or the other extreme. Do we really need it? Are drops enough to cover missing events for all reasons?
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Glenn Duensing
Car#: 28
Location: Relaxin' and chillin' on the third rock from the Sun.

Post by Glenn Duensing »

Rick Brown wrote:
Jayson Woodruff wrote:

Jay W
This actually dates way back to when hosting clubs did not run their own events. The host club provided all the workers and competitors only drove, didn't have to work at all! So you got your average for the event, assuming you showed up on the worker list. Also the reason for the term "work/run" event in the rules which appeared when we started having events where you had to work and run.

The current usage for averages for competing in National Events developed after we became an SCCA region and members began to compete seriously on a National level. Then it was extended to other events like the SCCA Convention and working SCCA road racing including the LBGP. I tend to agree with Jay that it should remain loosly defined but maybe something at least in the minutes of a meeting listing the type of things it's intended for.

Or the other extreme. Do we really need it? Are drops enough to cover missing events for all reasons?
That's the problem. Nobody wants to take a drop. A average will have more points. Remember it's about points.

Oh edit to add: Yes it should be in the supp regs or how is anybody going to know about it?