Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Rick Brown

George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Re: Rules Proposal: Averages

Post by George Schilling »

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:
Steve Ekstrand wrote:Run-offs are club racing. But they aren't Regional or Divisional.

Do you really want to give an avg for driving in a SDR local event???

But there may be situations where you would. Lets say they asked Renee and Brian to come run a SDR event and give an SSS workshop while there.
I'm not making a morale judgment about one kind of event over another. The idea is to have something in the Supps that reflects the zeitgeist of the committee and is flexible enough so that special circumstances can be reasonably considered. That includes Lisa's situation, or Renee helping out with an SS school out of the region, or even in the region. Some requests for an average should be guaranteed, but by no means do I think a rule that tries to establish an all-inclusive list is in the best interests of the region and its efforts to promote Solo and motor sport in general.

Sure, there are drops. However there often personal reasons people need to use them. Work, family, sickness, broken car, broken leg--I'm lookin' at you Fireball. What about Ryan's competition in the TDI Cup? Does anyone think that we should rigth a rule such that he could not apply for his average? I don't.
Bob, Bob, Bob.............It 's times like this that I think there's hope for you yet. Nice job also then with the initial post also. (Palin's rubbing off on me)
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Bob Beamesderfer
Club: PSCC

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

George Schilling wrote:
Bob, Bob, Bob.............It 's times like this that I think there's hope for you yet. Nice job also then with the initial post also. (Palin's rubbing off on me)
Yeah, but George you won't look as good in those Saks Fifth outfits. :lol: :lol:
Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Since we approved the "concept" at the committee mtg, with final wording forthcoming. I hope I haven't stepped on any toes working on this. I believe the following cuts down on the word count, and includes everything discussed at the meeting. Thanks to Bob and Curt for all your above revisions, with out the vetting there I would never have come up with the following. What do you all think?

7.7.1 Averages for event conflicts.
Averages available for conflicts between CSCC and and other SCCA events, must be requested and approved advance of the event. To qualify, points card holder must be a participant or event official. SCCA events include: Solo: National Tours, Pro Solo's, Solo Nationals; Club Racing: Regional, Divisional, and National races; Other: National Convention, SCCA Pro Racing series. Any other SCCA event as Solo Committee deems reasonable. Other Solo regional events are not intended to be included.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

One issue I see is how inefficient we are. Reality would state that you might need to request an AVG two months in advance to be sure of receiving the okay before cancellation deadlines and such. A winter request might mean more time? Three months?

I haven't finalized plans for tomorrow. Seriously, I can't decide if I'm up to going to the auto show with dad.

Thoughts? Can we agree to respond to most requests informally? Like request made, and posted to the executive board not for approval, but objections?

The only denial I've seen is a BS one that is a very odd case that I think confused some people. Normal cases are pretty easy. We just want to make clear that choosing SD region over us isn't going to cut it. Or deciding to go to a Speedventures Track day isn't a reason. Just set the expectations, and allow for special consideration of the oddball situation.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Michael Palero
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 18

Post by Michael Palero »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:
The only denial I've seen is a BS one that is a very odd case that I think confused some people.
Which one was that?
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Sssh! We need to protect the clueless. Its too raw right now.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Michael Palero
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 18

Post by Michael Palero »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:One issue I see is how inefficient we are. Reality would state that you might need to request an AVG two months in advance to be sure of receiving the okay before cancellation deadlines and such. A winter request might mean more time? Three months?

I haven't finalized plans for tomorrow. Seriously, I can't decide if I'm up to going to the auto show with dad.

Thoughts? Can we agree to respond to most requests informally? Like request made, and posted to the executive board not for approval, but objections?

The only denial I've seen is a BS one that is a very odd case that I think confused some people. Normal cases are pretty easy. We just want to make clear that choosing SD region over us isn't going to cut it. Or deciding to go to a Speedventures Track day isn't a reason. Just set the expectations, and allow for special consideration of the oddball situation.
An average request can still be denied even if they meet the rule requirements.
In 2008, there was no rule stating when the request was supposed to be made.

So what I'm saying is, you can have a valid reason to request an average, formally request the average through the correct channel, attend an event that will qualify you for the average and still get your request DENIED.

No BS there.
Giovanni Jaramillo

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Michael Palero wrote:In 2008, there was no rule stating when the request was supposed to be made.
It was an "unwritten" rule (which is now being rectified to be written into the supp regs) that states you must make your request either
  • in person at the monthly Solo Committee/E-Board meeting
  • or via your club representative (who is at these meetings)
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Michael... I'm not sure where you're going...

I was calling the denial BS.
Not the request.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

What was your excuse for not requesting your average before the event. I haven't kept up with it, but I thought there were circumstances where one could ask after the event ... and one's tardiness would be considered, of course fairly, by the PTB.
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Mako Koiwai wrote:What was your excuse for not requesting your average before the event. I haven't kept up with it, but I thought there were circumstances where one could ask after the event ... and one's tardiness would be considered, of course fairly, by the PTB.
Nobody involved in the discussion here has been denied an average, at least not recently. And, what's the PTB?
Glenn Duensing
Car#: 28
Location: Relaxin' and chillin' on the third rock from the Sun.

Post by Glenn Duensing »

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:
Mako Koiwai wrote:What was your excuse for not requesting your average before the event. I haven't kept up with it, but I thought there were circumstances where one could ask after the event ... and one's tardiness would be considered, of course fairly, by the PTB.
Nobody involved in the discussion here has been denied an average, at least not recently. And, what's the PTB?
Wrong. There was one at the last meeting. The request came 3 months after the event.
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Thread is now locked. Our Rule Meister has the committee approval to provide a written version of the formerly unwritten rule. All further discussion on this unnecessary at this level and the thread is presently going OT. If anyone would like to continue the discussion, please start a new thread elsewhere.

Michael, the Committee considered your request dutifully and rendered a decision. If you'd like a complete disclosure of the discussion, start a new thread in the Solo Talk or Off Topic groups and we'll summarize it there. I strongly advise against this as it will not be complimentary.

Mike