First auto cross this weekend

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Jose luis Gomez

First auto cross this weekend

Post by Jose luis Gomez »

Hey everyone my name's Jose and this weekend will be my first auto cross and I'm super excited. Just a couple of questions how long do these events usually last ? I'm trying to plan for food and cooler ?
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Re: First auto cross this weekend

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Welcome to the region Jose! There are a number of important posts in this very forum, with lots of background. Please peruse them for great info.

I would strongly suggest planning for a cooler and some water. There is some food nearby - Carl's Jr, Del Taco, Taco Bell, some other stuff too - and I think we may have a food truck on site again. I'd suggest bringing some sort of snack (nuts, food bar) and water and see how it all lays out for you.

Be sure to bring a hat, a jacket (we may get a bit of rain early Saturday), and be ready to have a blast.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Saturday's are designed to be an all day event. You usually run/work once in the morning and once in the afternoon, with a lunch break.

Sunday, in our current format, is designed to end around 1pm for the competition runs (earlier if you are in the 1st or 3rd run group). Then if you choose to stay for the free fun runs, 2 to 2.5 hours more, which includes running, working and helping clean up.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Jose luis Gomez

Cool thanks everyone. See you guys at 6 am
Jose luis Gomez

I had a amazing time, learned about a spec d class for my frs
And I even did a 50 flat for my first time only half a second slower than the fastest spec d car :)
Max Hayter
Club: CASOC
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Jose luis Gomez wrote:I had a amazing time, learned about a spec d class for my frs
And I even did a 50 flat for my first time only half a second slower than the fastest spec d car :)
Then you better build a SSC car... we certainly need more in the region.

However, the two fastest SSC cars were at a 46.3 once conditions dried out in the afternoon on Saturday :) I was the guy in the red one - I think we chatted. Glad you had a good time.
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Jose luis Gomez

Oh man thanks for shattering my dreams lol but yeah we talked I was in the white frs. Could you link me the scc rules ?
Max Hayter

Post by Max Hayter »

Sure - here you go... go to the Handout half way down the page.

2018 Solo® Spec Coupe Rules handout

https://www.scca.com/pages/solo-cars-and-rules
~Max H.

#31 SSC
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

To simplify it for you Jose, at a minimum you need:
  • The Spec suspension package from Tire Rack. Yes, you need the front struts, rear shocks, Pro Plus kit (springs and bars) and the alignment kit (rear arms.) No, you can't use the standard Koni FRS/BRZ dampers or even the factory dampers. The Spec dampers are factory-sealed and marked with a tamper-proof seal. They are also run through rigorous testing on Koni's shock dyno before they're certified for Spec use.
  • Falken Azenis RT615K+ in size 225/45-17. Yes, only that tire.
  • Your OE, original 17"x7" wheels *or* any 17" x 8" wheel with an offset of +40 or greater, including the use of a wheel spacer, that weighs at least 17 lbs per wheel. (Wheel studs and lug nuts may be changed or substituted.) You will want the wider wheel, but being allowed to use the OE wheels (not an equivalent - *only* the OE wheels) lets you push the wheel expense down the road so you don't break the bank.

There's more you can do. You can, for example, swap out some exhaust components and save weight, change your shift knob, etc. You can read all about it in the SSC rules that Max mentioned on the SCCA Rules page.

The thing I like about it is: you can get substantial camber so tires last a long time, everyone deals with the same weaknesses since all the cars are effectively identical, and the entire setup is very affordably priced. Oh - and it's quite fun to drive.
Jose luis Gomez

This sounds fun!! I'm gonna start ordering parts now
Max Hayter

Post by Max Hayter »

Jose luis Gomez wrote:This sounds fun!! I'm gonna start ordering parts now
You'll need your SCCA Membership number to get the Koni sealed shocks, so make sure you have that. Once you have placed the order, Tirerack will contact you for it.

On the Tirerack site, if you select a 15 FRS, you can then select SCCA Solo Spec Coupe as the model and all the right parts will show up for either wheels or suspension.
~Max H.

#31 SSC
Jose luis Gomez

Oh man that's super convenient, I'm stuck on leaving the tires I have on my track tires or just throwing them on the stocks
Tony R

Post by Tony R »

Tire Rack has a splash page for SSC that has a lot of information for you, too. See this link.

Looking forward to more people in the class. I'll be making a couple more trips down from NorCal this year. Probably in May and July.
-Tony
Auto Innovations STX #1/87 | E Street MR2-S #86 (sold)