Newbie, Saying Hello!

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Jorge Garcia

Newbie, Saying Hello!

Post by Jorge Garcia »

Hello everyone! Just thought I'd drop by and saw hi. Im a noob who will be going to his first autocross in May 5th (SpeedVentures. Hoping to join some SCCA ones soon too). :)

Im drive a '17 Miata RF Club. Only mods are a cobalt exhaust and delrin door bushings (haha, I know...). I think Im in C Street?
It's my daily driver as well, so haven't done any aggressive handling mods yet. Hoping to get coilovers and better tires eventually. Not thinking of being too competitive and just trying it out for fun (unless I really love it and go down the rabbit hole).

The only thing I am doing to prep for this event is getting an alignment. Couple Miata ND guys tell me the factory values are all over the place. Oil change and tire rotation were done 1k miles ago.

Nice to meet y'all! Excited to look like a fool and learn from everyone. :)
-GimbalLock - Jorge Garcia
2017 ND RF Club -- instagram @kazukimx5
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Re: Newbie, Saying Hello!

Post by Rick Brown »

Hey Jorge, welcome to Cal Club Autocross! Many of our regulars are up in Nor Cal at a National event, or you would have gotten more welcomes sooner.

Note that our next event is the day after the Speedventures one, so if the bug bites you real hard come to that, too! You can save a few bucks by signing up early, but walk ups are welcome. All the info is here:
https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/ma ... cca-418648
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Jorge Garcia

Post by Jorge Garcia »

Thanks Rick! I won't be able to go that Sunday, but I definitely will go next month! :)
Jorge Garcia

Post by Jorge Garcia »

Well that was a blast!

My buddy who drives a WRX went with me to Speed Ventures yesterday. I rode with him on the first group to try to understand the track and its markers after we walked the track once (didn't have time for more walk-troughs). Once it was time for my group it was a blast! Started at 48.1 seconds, with runs averaging around 45 and 43, and after 9 runs my last and best was 41.4 (clean run without eating cones!). Tried hard to break into the 40s but perhaps next time... It did teach me where I can push the Miata more and I felt way more confident about going out of my comfort zone and pushing the car.

I did eat a lot of cones as I was learning, but no damage to the car (whew!). The orange little triangles aren't as scary anymore, but definitely gotta respect them. :)

Looking forward to going to an SCCA event in June and learning from y'all!