Greetings and questions from a newcomer.

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

lito ancheta

Greetings and questions from a newcomer.

Post by lito ancheta »

Hello Everyone,

This board is full of information and helpful members for a newcomer like myself and I thank you all. Will be signing up for the May 5 event at El Toro. Just purchased a 92 Miata and would like to learn to be a better driver. What better environment than autocross. A couple of questions and yes I have tried to read as much as I can. Previous owner set up the Miata as follows - Cold air intake, headers, exhaust and coilovers. Tires are Dunlop Direzza 2.

Obviously on Novice Class.
E Street class ?

Thanks.

Lito.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Re: Greetings and questions from a newcomer.

Post by Rick Brown »

I can tell you for sure, not E-Street. An ST class probably, but not versed on those so I'll leave it to one of the Miata experts.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director
Club: CASOC
Car#: 436

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

Hey Lito,

Welcome to Cal Club! I don't know the answer to your classing question either, but don't let that stop you from registering for the event. We have a limited number of entries for the practice day (Saturday), so if you're interested in that, I wouldn't delay! Sunday we'll take all comers, but walkup registration is a little more expensive, so make sure you register online.

And if you're looking for a little help getting started, we can help get you some instruction those first few laps so you get started on the right foot!

See ya out there! :thumbup:
SCCA Certifications: Solo Safety Steward, Flagging and Communications
http://CorvetteNews.com/
lito ancheta

Post by lito ancheta »

Thank you both. Will be signing up and hopefully will meet someone to guide how to manage the track.
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

lito ancheta wrote:.....hopefully will meet someone to guide how to manage the track.
Hey Lito,

I'm the event master for the May event. Come say "hi" and introduce yourself (or just let me know who you are at the driver's meeting). I'll get you hooked up with someone with some Miata expertise. Our novice coordinator is a Miata driver (although he's co-driving a MR2 this year). He does a novice walk before the events on every competition day (Sunday)....but he'll also do one on Saturday if there's enough interest (sorry Leonard for volunteering you!)....listen for announcements on the PA....novice walks are typically about 20-30 minutes before the driver's meeting.

Either way, we have dedicated instructor lines on Sundays....just pull in and an expert instructor will be there to help you (no cost for any of this by the way). If you come out for Saturday's practice, just let me know who you are and I'll find you somebody to help get you around the course those first few laps. And on Saturday there will be opportunities to ride along with other drivers....take advantage of that...just hang out in grid with your helmet and be friendly. While we do have a few folks that are seriously tweaking their car for competition, 99% of the time a "would you mind if I rode along?" will be met with a "sure, hop in!"

Come on out, introduce yourself, and we'll get you squared away and hooked up with a couple of people to help you "manage the track!"

Randy Gonzalez
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 30

Post by Anthony P. »

STS is a good place to start. There is a chance it doesn't fit there nationally but it's pretty close.
lito ancheta

Post by lito ancheta »

Randy,

Thank you ! and for sure will introduce myself and will take all the opportunity for learning. I will be purchasing a helmet soon and if not hopefully there would be a loaner.

Anthony,

Thank you for the information and hopefully will meet you soon.
lito ancheta

Post by lito ancheta »

Hi Randy,

Just registered for the May 5 practice as I am unsure if I can make Sunday. Registration didn’t ask for the car classification, is it because it’s just practice ?

Thanks.
Reed Gibson
Current CSCC Overall Champion

Post by Reed Gibson »

lito ancheta wrote:Hi Randy,

Just registered for the May 5 practice as I am unsure if I can make Sunday. Registration didn’t ask for the car classification, is it because it’s just practice ?

Thanks.
Yes, on a practice day we don't keep track of what you are driving. No need to worry about numbers or class lettering. Just make sure your car is in working order and we'll walk you through everything else once you get on site.

Look forward to seeing you out there!
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

And, no problem if you don't have a helmet yet! We have loaner helmets available (free). If you are going to purchase a helmet, you might want to review the helmets we accept:

https://www.scca.com/downloads/39398-20 ... s/download

Our tech team will check your helmet as part of the tech inspection of your car before each event. They look for the Snell mylar sticker or the other stickers (or sewn in labels) on the sheet linked above. Please note: Many helmets say something like "DOT Approved", etc.....this means nothing to our organization. Our approved helmets all have one of the certification stickers from the linked sheet.
lito ancheta

Post by lito ancheta »

All,

Thanks for all the quick replies, such a supportive group. Trying my best to get approval for the Sunday event and definitely be there for Saturday as I see my name on the list.

Not to over complicate the classification, I’v read the SCCA rule book and am unable to differentiate Street Touring Sport from Street Touring Roadster. My thoughts are to just show up and not worry about classification, just not comfortable being a bothersome novice.

Here is my list of items to bring. Do let me know what else.
- Tools (torque wrench, tire gauge, water sprayer, basic toolset)
- Necessities (water, food, hat, chair, sunscreen)
- Most important of all - A Sponge for Learning.

Apologies for the odd times in posting as I am currently in a different time zone.

Will definitely introduce myself to everyone.

Again, appreciate the welcome.
Reed Gibson

Post by Reed Gibson »

lito ancheta wrote:All,

Thanks for all the quick replies, such a supportive group. Trying my best to get approval for the Sunday event and definitely be there for Saturday as I see my name on the list.

Not to over complicate the classification, I’v read the SCCA rule book and am unable to differentiate Street Touring Sport from Street Touring Roadster. My thoughts are to just show up and not worry about classification, just not comfortable being a bothersome novice.

Here is my list of items to bring. Do let me know what else.

Apologies for the odd times in posting as I am currently in a different time zone.

Will definitely introduce myself to everyone.

Again, appreciate the welcome.
The main difference between STS and STR is going to be tire size. The NA Miata is woefully outclassed in STR but is great in STS. The Solo rulebook explains what the size provisions are for each class.
Nic Sanchez
Club: No$
Car#: 67

Post by Nic Sanchez »

FYI, you can't run a LSD in STS. Only in STR.
You didn't mention if you had one or not.

Nic
lito ancheta

Post by lito ancheta »

The class rulings are a bit overwhelming for me. As I disect it I think I will be in CSP class as I have the following:

Koyorad radiators
Cold air intake with OEM MAF
JR headers
Goodwin exhaust with cats
FM Coilovers with upgraded front sway bars
15x7 TW200
Front lip/air dam

At the end of the day I definitely am no threat to anyone. As mentioned earlier, my aim is to learn and be a better driver and most importantly to have Fun.

Truly appreciate all the help !
Reed Gibson

Post by Reed Gibson »

lito ancheta wrote:The class rulings are a bit overwhelming for me. As I disect it I think I will be in CSP class as I have the following:

Koyorad radiators
Cold air intake with OEM MAF
JR headers
Goodwin exhaust with cats
FM Coilovers with upgraded front sway bars
15x7 TW200
Front lip/air dam

At the end of the day I definitely am no threat to anyone. As mentioned earlier, my aim is to learn and be a better driver and most importantly to have Fun.

Truly appreciate all the help !
Yeah, the classing system can be a bit daunting to a newcomer! The easy answer is to run our local CST class which just requires you to run a street tire. It's a catch-all class designed for people with modified cars that may not fit into an appropriate SCCA street tire class!
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 30

Post by Anthony P. »

Nic Sanchez wrote:FYI, you can't run a LSD in STS. Only in STR.
You didn't mention if you had one or not.

Nic

Incorrect. You can run a vlsd viscous lsd with the 1.6 engines. A 92 is a 1.6 so if he has or doesn't have a diff it doesn't matter. I stand by sts
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

lito ancheta wrote: Here is my list of items to bring. Do let me know what else.
Portable compressor, or air tank, or tires already pumped up to your desired pressure. If you don't know, maybe 40psi to start and then work your way slowly down to optimize.
Check your fluids, everything properly secured that doesn't come out of the car, and battery tight.
lito ancheta

Post by lito ancheta »

Thanks to all who responded.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Think of us all as friendly smiling drug dealers trying to help you on your way to a new addiction!
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
lito ancheta

Post by lito ancheta »

What a great experience, kudos to Leonard for helping out a newcomer. Also gained a few friends and will definitely be attending the next session.

Thank you all !