Can I run Novice? Tire suggestions

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Earl Merz
Club: No$
Car#: 40

Can I run Novice? Tire suggestions

Post by Earl Merz »

Hello,

Am I allowed to run Novice class? I haven't autocrossed in close to 10 years now. Looking at the new car classes..., my head hurts.

Anyways, What I really need are tire recommendations. What is a good autocross/track day tire in a 285/30-20 F 305/30-20 R fitment. Or would I be okay to run a 295/30-20 (RE71R) all around? Not sure how that would upset the ABS/TCS/Stability control. I'm open to suggestions. So far I've found Michelin and Goodyear but would like other options if they are available.

Thanks
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE with Nav (need it to find my way around the course)
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Re: Can I run Novice? Tire suggestions

Post by Rick Brown »

Earl Merz wrote:Hello,

Am I allowed to run Novice class? I haven't autocrossed in close to 10 years now. Looking at the new car classes..., my head hurts.

Anyways, What I really need are tire recommendations. What is a good autocross/track day tire in a 285/30-20 F 305/30-20 R fitment. Or would I be okay to run a 295/30-20 (RE71R) all around? Not sure how that would upset the ABS/TCS/Stability control. I'm open to suggestions. So far I've found Michelin and Goodyear but would like other options if they are available.

Thanks
Not everyone knows you have a new car, might help with the suggestions.... 1LE
EarlCamaro.jpg
EarlCamaro.jpg (90.89 KiB) Viewed 14214 times
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Earl Merz

Post by Earl Merz »

I'm pretty sure I could fit that tire size on the RX-7. I'd need a bit of Pats help.

But yes, SS 1LE. Bone Stock except for the paint protection I had applied. I have a spare set of wheels coming and I have more normal street tires for non autocross/track day usage. Not looking to run Hoosier R7 tires but would like something that would provide more grip than the goodyears.

Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Sweet new ride! Like so not a Dodge Omni derivative.

Sure seems like 295 square would work, but I'd want that confirmed by somebody with specific Camaro knowledge. Maybe the Wong's know?
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

YAY, EARL'S COMING BACK!

Miss you, buddy :-D
Tom Tanquary
Solo Safety Steward
Club: PSCC
Car#: 705

Post by Tom Tanquary »

Welcome back!
[youtubeShortLink][/youtubeShortLink]"Our intelligence grew faster than our wisdom.... "
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

According to the rules in our supplemental regs, you can run novice class. Whether or not you like beating up on complete newbies is another question entirely. 8-)
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Chad-1stGen
Club: CASOC
Car#: 268

Post by Chad-1stGen »

295 width is no problem on the Camaro. Most run either an 18" wheel or 19" wheel to access the largest width tires though. 305 in 19" or 315/335 in 18" I don't know how the 295 on a 20" compares for height.

It's much easier to fit the 19" wheels rather than the 18" though. I'm sure the Wong's can help you out.
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Welcome back Earl!

Definitely check in with the Wongs - I'm pretty sure they'll know the answer or they can check in with Brian Peters who'll know.

Just a quick reminder that you can go up or down 1" in wheel diameter, so if the 20" wheels are standard in your car you can change them or leave them, in any configuration you'd like. For example, perhaps you want to run 20s in the front, 19s in the rear.

You may just want to come out with what you have right now and dip your toes in the water, and discuss tire / wheel sizes in person.

Yes, I'd say you qualify for Novice in 2019 as long as you don't run too many 2018 events and haven't been doing a bunch of track stuff.

Mike
Earl Merz

Post by Earl Merz »

Okay, I'll work with the Goodyears for now and look at options later. Who knows, maybe something good will come up. I hope I can make it out in October. I should have the fluids changed and the track alignment done by then. Who does good alignments these days if the dealer sucks, like they usually do (green is good :thumbup: ). Does anyone know if its worth it to have the eLSD flashed with the alternate software. From what I heard, Chevy did the new program at the request from autocrossers. It's supposed to free up the diff earlier for tighter turn in and activate sooner to get out of the tight turns better. Not sure if it's worth it as I'd have to pay for it and I'm not building this to be an autox car. It kinda sucks that the car sits most of the time, I love driving it, but I can't justify starting it up to drive 50 yards to work.
Reed Gibson
Current CSCC Overall Champion

Post by Reed Gibson »

Not sure where you're located Earl but in the South Bay many of us use West End Alignment.

If you're in Orange County you could swing by FRSport as well for an alignment as a few of our regulars work there!