What Class Is My Car?

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Michael Neal

What Class Is My Car?

Post by Michael Neal »

I have a 2013 Scion FRS my mod list is:
-UEL Header
-Catback exhaust
-Drop in air filter
-Stage 2 e85 tune
-Coilovers
-Michelin pilot super sports 255/35/18 all around
-Wheels: 18x9.5 +35
Michael Neal

Re: What Class Is My Car?

Post by Michael Neal »

Also it is a built motor with 10.5:1 compression ratio but it's still naturally aspirated at the moment.
Reed Gibson
Current CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX

Post by Reed Gibson »

Michael Neal wrote:I have a 2013 Scion FRS my mod list is:
-UEL Header
-Catback exhaust
-Drop in air filter
-Stage 2 e85 tune
-Coilovers
-Michelin pilot super sports 255/35/18 all around
-Wheels: 18x9.5 +35
The E85 and wheel size knock you out of the Street Touring category and your lack of Hoosiers means you really don't want to run in a Street Prepared class. Your best bet is to run CST as it is a catch all class for any street tired car.
Michael Neal

Post by Michael Neal »

My tune is for flex fuel so I would be able to run 91. As for the wheels, if I go back to stock diameter, do I have any freedom in terms of width? This is all with the intention of falling into the street touring class.
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Your built motor is the major problem. There isn't any provision in either ST or SP to alter the compression ratio (edited to add:) or any other internal engine modifications.

My guess is you've built for forced induction, right? Did you change or alter the rods, pistons, heads, crankshaft, oil pump / pickup or anything else?

If you're looking for an official "National" class, you're likely in Street Modified.

Mike
Michael Neal

Post by Michael Neal »

So does that mean I would be in street modified?
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Our timing was interesting. I edited just as you wrote that. Yes, I'm pretty sure that's where you'd be.

Have you done ANYTHING else to the car? Street Mod has pretty open allowances, but it's definitely not completely open. Post any other changes you have from stock and we'll be able to comment more accurately.

Mike
Michael Neal

Post by Michael Neal »

The only other things I can think of is a front big brake kit, slotted rotors all around, stainless steel brake lines, engine damper, and fuel pump.
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Those are all fine in SM.

Locally, Reed's suggestion to run in CST is a good one. There are talented drivers running there in cars with which you'll have fun competing, then as you move towards SM you can consider switching when you feel it's most appropriate.
Michael Neal

Post by Michael Neal »

What does CST stand for? And thank you for the help.
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair

Post by Mike Simanyi »

California Street Touring.

It's our local "run whatcha brung" class for 200+ treadwear tires.
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 30

Post by Anthony P. »

Mike Simanyi wrote:
Have you done ANYTHING else to the car? Street Mod has pretty open allowances, but it's definitely not completely open. Post any other changes you have from stock and we'll be able to comment more accurately.
Michael, im gathering some information to help other new people and I would value your opnion. Why wasnt the other stuff listed under your "mods list"?

What is the best way to ask what parts arent OEM? Or if it were more advertised that this is a racing series would it make more sense about the nick picky rules questions?
Michael Neal

Post by Michael Neal »

Anthony Porta wrote:
Mike Simanyi wrote:
Michael, im gathering some information to help other new people and I would value your opnion. Why wasnt the other stuff listed under your "mods list"?

What is the best way to ask what parts arent OEM? Or if it were more advertised that this is a racing series would it make more sense about the nick picky rules questions?
The other stuff wasn't listed under my list of modifications because I've done so much to the car that I couldn't remember everything all at once and more and more kept coming back to me. In terms of the best way of asking which parts aren't OEM, having categories like suspension, brakes, wheels/tires, fueling, drivetrain, engine modifications, etc would be helpful to remember everything. I already understood from the get go that this was a racing series, hence all the detailed rules and regulations.
Steven Espinoza

Post by Steven Espinoza »

2015 Volkswagen GTi
Lowerings springs
Cold air intake
Sport shocks /struts

That is my short list of mods. More to come! What class am I?
Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 194

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

Steven Espinoza wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:37 pm 2015 Volkswagen GTi
Lowerings springs
Cold air intake
Sport shocks /struts

That is my short list of mods. More to come! What class am I?
STH
http://www.osgiken.net
4 BSP- 2019 Mazda ND Miata - 2001 SSM Honda S2000
OS Giken / Bride / ShaftWorks USA
Hugh Martinez

Post by Hugh Martinez »

Hi,

I have a 1993 Stock Honda Del Sol. Under the current regs, if I got coilovers without lowering the vehicle and maintained the stock suspension geometry, would I still be in HS or would I get bumped to another class?
Reed Gibson
Current CSCC Overall Champion

Post by Reed Gibson »

Hugh Martinez wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:41 pm Hi,

I have a 1993 Stock Honda Del Sol. Under the current regs, if I got coilovers without lowering the vehicle and maintained the stock suspension geometry, would I still be in HS or would I get bumped to another class?
You would need to keep the OEM springs installed or possibly use the same spring rate (not entirely sure about that, it's not stated so that's usually a no in the SCCA rulebook). You also need to re-use the OEM bumpstops or a bumpstop that's the same height. The exact rules can be found under the Street Category section in the SCCA Solo Rulebook https://www.scca.com/pages/solo-cars-and-rules

I wouldn't worry too much about it at first though, the Del Sol is definitely an HS underdog so unless you plan on campaigning the car at the national level I don't think anyone would mind locally as long as you follow the spirit of the street class rules.