New Guy, 06 Mini Cooper S

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Jon Wright

New Guy, 06 Mini Cooper S

Post by Jon Wright »

Hello Everyone,
I'm Jon, I live in Tehachapi, not far from Willow Springs, and I work for Northrop Grumman in Palmdale. I have done a few SCCA autocross and road rally events in Kansas City but not much. I did the solo school out there but that was several years ago. I absolutely loved it, and have always wanted to get back out and take it more seriously. Wife gave me the green light this season to do the starting line school and come down for weekend events this year (work permitting). I have a 2006 Mini Cooper S with 87k original miles. Its bone stock and in pretty good shape, but it is my daily driver. I have looking into classing a little and suspect I will be in DSP, please correct me if I am wrong. The only things I feel I really should do car prep wise is to get off the runflats that are on the car, and maybe put some new break pads on there (I am leaning towards the ebc red stuff) If I understand correctly this wont bump me out of DSP. If anybody has a tire recommendation or other particularly useful mods allowed in DSP I am open to hearing it. I am sure I will have a ton of questions along the way, but I am really looking forward to driving with you guys and learning to go fast. When I was driving in KC, I had a 1974 MGB GT and 1990 Miata. I am currently restoring a 1964 Triumph Spitfire as well! but that will be a long term project and when its done I don't know if it'll ever see its way around the cones. Thanks inf advance for all the help and guidance I'm sure you guys will give me!
Jon
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Re: New Guy, 06 Mini Cooper S

Post by Rick Brown »

If it's bone stock, it would be in DS (D Street), not DSP (D Street Prepared) which allows significant changes to the car. Can't help with much else, but I'm sure other folks more familiar with your car will chime in. Today was a race day, so most may not be home yet.

Welcome to Cal Club Region!
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Reed Gibson
Current CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX

Post by Reed Gibson »

Hi Jon,

First step is to check your car's classing here https://www.scca.com/pages/solo-cars-and-rules. As a fellow NG employee I'm sure you can hunt through the manual and figure out what mods are/aren't allowed. In general though, for new people I would recommend slapping a nice tire on a second set of wheels and just bring the car out in stock form. The current hotness in street tires are the Bridgestone RE71R and the BFG Rival S. However, you can just run your street tires to start and see how deep you want to dive in.

Hope to see you next year at the start of the season!
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

I'll chime in too. If it truly is completely stock - including the tune - you don't want to even *think* about going into DSP. Those cars are highly modified. Stick with DS if you're absolutely stock, otherwise consider our CST (California Street Touring) class which basically lets you do whatever you want, as long as it is on 200 treadwear tires and driven on the street.

Years ago I saw many cases of brake problems with EBC. I *think* it was the Red Stuff version. Basically if the pad got too hot, it tended to "melt down" on the rotor and gunk everything up. This was at San Diego BMW CCA autocross events. I'm sure the pad compound has changed, but getting aggressive pads is not the best value for improving your lap times.

I'm co-driving a car for 2018 and 2019, and the owner - Max Hayter - installed some Ferodo pads. I think they're DS 2500s. Great feel, nowhere near as aggressive as the previous pads he had on the car, but a little pricey. (Certainly more than OE pads on his FRS, but darn near perfect for our kind of use.)

Your best value will be good tires and coming out as often as you can. That's generally the fun way to do it too...
Jon Wright

Post by Jon Wright »

Thanks for the replies guys. I hope to get out with you on Saturday the 12th if possible. I likely will just be on my crappy run flats. They are still relatively new, but I know I will need to get on a better tire soon. honestly just getting a feel for the events out here and getting to meet a few of you and having fun is my primary goal. The car really is bone stock, I have replaced the upper motor mount and the alternator with stock parts. And though I have toyed around with the idea of a 15% reduction supercharger pulley and an intake, I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Id rather put that money into tires. I was hoping to find a cheap set of wheels to swap my runflats too as my daily commute is over 100 miles and Id prefer not to trash my autocross tires.
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

Best to spend no money until you have a better idea of what you need and what's allowed.

Take in a few events with what you have. Get to know some people and ask advice from those in similar cars or people turning in good times in the classes you're interested in.

About the worst thing you can do is spend money on goodies that make the car hardly any faster, but doom you to running a high-preparation class where you haven't a chance.