Car Classification Help

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Aaron McKinnon
Car#: 0

Car Classification Help

Post by Aaron McKinnon »

I need help classifying my car that has been run with PCA for years now... For any that cross over it is a CC06 car.

1974 Porsche 914

Engine Mods:
2056cc displacement (bored cylinders by 2mm)
Modified Cam
Modified Induction (FI --> Carbs)
Header

Suspension Mods:
Non-stock bushings front and rear
Increased spring/torsion bar rate
Increased front torsion bar rate, No rear bar.
Front camber plates (monoball)

Brakes:
911M front calipers
914-4 front calipers on rear of car

Wheels/Tires
15x7 wheels
Hoosier A7 tires - 205-50-15

Thanks!

-Aaron
1974 2.0 Porsche 914
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Re: Car Classification Help

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Aaron,

Within official SCCA classes, it sounds like you'd be in Super Street Modified due to the modified cam (which I believe exceeds Street Prepared's allowances.)

We also have a local class called, coincidentally, California Street Modified (CSM). This is a "run what you brung" class on tires that are less than 200 treadwear. If you choose to install 200 or higher treadwear tires, you can run in California Street Touring (CST.)

CSM is, unfortunately, not very popular due to the cost of tires. I don't recall having anyone in the class in 2018, though my memory may be incorrect. CST is one of our most popular classes, and with the improvements in street tire performance I think you may want to consider replacing those A7s with a BFG, Bridgestone or something else on par with them and play there.

Mike
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 30

Post by Anthony P. »

Hi Aaron,

Glad to see your giving us a try! Please make sure the passenger front wheel bearing was tightened. :roll:

I concur with Mike that CST is a far more popular class and that csm is a place for Hoosiers. You could get a few other people who are similar in raw time to compete with you since anything goes in csm...

Another wild idea I had that I have only shared with Tom F is, IF we could get a minimum of 5 we could create a BRI class (I think that's what you pca guys have like our Pax). What do you think?
Aaron McKinnon
Car#: 0

Post by Aaron McKinnon »

Hi Anthony!

We've talked about this and conical "old school" bearing. Leave my wheel bearing alone... It's fine! ;)

I'm hoping to compete with at least a 3-5 people on some level. Corrected time isn't quite as fun as raw. You've seen the car. Think it would be competitive in CST? It has some V720's I can use, but I'm pretty sure they are nowhere near as competitive as a Rival S 1.5 or the RE-71R.

-Aaron
1974 2.0 Porsche 914
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 30

Post by Anthony P. »

Well you get 3 drops for a season, so it does give you time to evaluate options. I think either CST may end up being course dependent, and you could just find some guys to run CSM together. You'll have a much better idea in January and yes Re71 in that size will be faster than V720's.
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

I ran CSM for a couple years with diminishing participation and eventually gave it up for lack of entries and moved to CST. If you want competition, CST is the place to be. Probably all the fast cars are on RE71Rs or BFG Rival S 1.5's.