Returning after a few years.

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Fred Sullivan
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 502

Returning after a few years.

Post by Fred Sullivan »

Just wanted to say hi, it’s been a few years but I’m coming back to run on Sunday. This will be my first event driving a front wheel drive car and could use any tips or pointers anyone could give me. Specifically Driving techniques in regards to front wheel drive and staying in boost. Im not a left foot breaker, maybe it’s time to learn. If you see the red civic si pop by and say hi.
Sean Fenstermacher
Car#: 81

Re: Returning after a few years.

Post by Sean Fenstermacher »

Welcome back!
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

How did it work for you Fred?

I'm not a FWD person, but it seems to me you want to be on the gas a lot earlier coming out of turns in FWD than RWD.

How was the throttle response on your car? I haven't driven one yet, but it seems like they should be getting to the point where these F.I. cars don't suffer huge lag.
Scott McHugh
Club: GRA
Car#: 45

Post by Scott McHugh »

Fred,

Just saw your post, or I would have come over and said hi at Sunday's event.

I have some good experience with FWD (and RWD too), and would be happy to give you some input at future events that I attend. I don't attend all the events but will be sure to stop by and say hello when I do.

Your new Civic Si is a great car. Hope you had fun at Sunday's event.

BTW, have you researched via you tube how to fully turn off the traction control on your Civic? It's a multi-step procedure that takes about a minute.

Scott
Fred Sullivan
Car#: 502

Post by Fred Sullivan »

Hi mike,

The car was a lot more fun than I expected. I need to get some fresh tires since my Bridgestones were past their prime years ago with my Rx8 and now they’re done. Throttle response was a bit sluggish if I was out of boost and low in the rev range but that was bad driving on my part. It digs itself out of a hole pretty well which was nice. It points in well and trail breaking can get it loose on entry which carries through to mid corner. It’s a strange sensation for a car to push on hard throttle but that’s fwd. Gearing is a bit short.

Scott, I’ll take you up on your offer when I get some tires the next time I’m out. I didn’t do the pedal dance so some of the were still on in the background but the only time they kicked in was when I blew a corner so it was my fault anyway. I wonder how they would act in a slalom though.