New here, registered for Saturday Feb 9

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Nihar Gandhi

New here, registered for Saturday Feb 9

Post by Nihar Gandhi »

Hey all, I'm new here and just registered for the Feb 9 Saturday event! I've done one autocross event several years ago in Seattle, but am excited to get into it here in SoCal with my (mostly stock) 86. I have read through most of the intro material, but just wondering if anyone has any specific advice for the Saturday event. Looking forward to meeting you guys!
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Re: New here, registered for Saturday Feb 9

Post by Mike Simanyi »

First, welcome to the region!

The Seattle group is probably one of the best in the country, but saddled with some venues that are looooong drives from the major city center.

If you haven't already checked it out, be sure to peruse our New to Autocross forum. There are lots of good posts there that should walk you through everything.

Registering for the practice is half the battle. I'd suggest getting there around 6:45 - 7:15 in the morning, being sure to bring a hat, water, rain gear if the weather calls for it, and some plastic storage containers to put your stuff in while you're driving. You'll probably want a tire pressure gauge as well as some way to add air back into your tires if you have one, but if you don't there are gas stations down the street.

The reasons to arrive early are multiple. You need to check in at Registration (usually located next to the timing RV), as well as get your car through Tech (after emptying everything out), and you really should walk the course a couple times to familiarize yourself with it. If you can, walk with someone who has some experience. We have a pretty good Novice program, but I don't know if Leonard - our Novice guru - will be there.

I am temporarily without a ride but if I come out Saturday to take care of some things on the RV, I'll be in a big white Dodge 3500 Dually. It'll likely be right next to the timing RV. Feel free to grab me for some tips.

Mike
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

As Mike mentioned, we have a great Novice program, however it is geared primarily for Sunday events (guided course walk, instructors available). Feel free to ask almost anyone for a ride along to get a look at how we do courses and a feel for it at speed. Most are more than willing to take passengers, but be aware that with upcoming national events locally, some may be focusing on car setup and prefer not to have a passenger.

Welcome aboard.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Nihar Gandhi

Post by Nihar Gandhi »

Thanks Mike and Rick! I appreciate the advice, and am looking forward to meeting you guys. And yeah, Bremerton is a long drive (or ferry ride) from downtown Seattle, where I used to live. Living in Rancho Cucamonga, this is a lot more accessible!