Need family / experience solo advice.

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Daryl Slawnikowski
Club: PSCC
Car#: 156

Need family / experience solo advice.

Post by Daryl Slawnikowski »

My son, Ozzie and I ran our first solo event (see post “Our First Event, Thanks All”) last Sunday. I have signed us up with SCCA as a Family membership and we both have our own SCCA membership numbers.
We have two ’79 Scirocco’s, but I’m not sure I can afford to run both. I initially signed up in the Historic FSP class. We have not joined a club, or bought a point’s card yet. Though I spoke w/ a club and have showed interest with them. I’m starting to lean on the thought of signing up my 17 yr old son as the points card person and letting him run the point events, I’ve been reading some of the forums and wondering if he should start possibly in the novice class instead of running in the Historic or FSP. I myself was very comfortable by all the support that the Historic guys gave me, but he’s a kid and I’m concerned about him not being contend with the possibly of not being able to compete with some of more experience drivers.
Any feedback from family running SoCal solo2 members will be greatly appreciated, feedback from all members will also be appreciated.

Thanks Daryl

Questions:
Both memberships are valid with crew licenses through 11-30-09. WHAT DOES CREW LICENSES MEAN?
Doug Teulie
Car#: 99

Re: Need family / experience solo advice.

Post by Doug Teulie »

Daryl Slawnikowski wrote:My son, Ozzie and I ran our first solo event (see post “Our First Event, Thanks All”) last Sunday. I have signed us up with SCCA as a Family membership and we both have our own SCCA membership numbers.
We have two ’79 Scirocco’s, but I’m not sure I can afford to run both. I initially signed up in the Historic FSP class. We have not joined a club, or bought a point’s card yet. Though I spoke w/ a club and have showed interest with them. I’m starting to lean on the thought of signing up my 17 yr old son as the points card person and letting him run the point events, I’ve been reading some of the forums and wondering if he should start possibly in the novice class instead of running in the Historic or FSP. I myself was very comfortable by all the support that the Historic guys gave me, but he’s a kid and I’m concerned about him not being contend with the possibly of not being able to compete with some of more experience drivers.
Any feedback from family running SoCal solo2 members will be greatly appreciated, feedback from all members will also be appreciated.

Thanks Daryl

Questions:
Both memberships are valid with crew licenses through 11-30-09. WHAT DOES CREW LICENSES MEAN?
Every class has experienced drivers in Solo 2.
Novice runs at the same time as your entered class. Novice is scored differently, that is the only difference.(that my change next year with CSM)
I personally never ran as a novice because I did not know we had a novice class back then. I ran against some great drivers and stuck it out. I supported my class and the many greater than me drivers for years hoping I would win someday. I am still learning, and that is what Solo is about. If Oz wants to run novice that is great. It would be best if he made as many friends with us old guys and learned the sport slowly and steadily. This sport is not just about winning. It is difficult and that is why we all do it for many years. If it were any easer it would be like road racing (quote). It is about learning how to put it all together in one package and then have the best day of your life. If Oz wants me to show him some a few things have him show up early at the practice events (but not the next one). We have many great instructors (way better than me). Oz needs to find his path and set his goals. We can help but he needs to learn the sport and decide how far he wants to go.
Doug T
PSCC CSCC #99 /SCNAX SD #151 LT Points 23,600.
TEAM DHE/FAST 1976 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 SILVER SCIROCCO
TEAM DHE/FAST 1980 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 RED SCIROCCO
Need VW parts?--->http://www.parts4vws.com Need Wax?--> Mother's
Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

I agree with Doug. I just started autocrossing in April, and I'm driving a car that is woefully uncompetitive (example: I was ecstatic that I got within less than 2 sec. of the leader in my class this last race). My goal, until my lease is up a year from now, is to improve my driving to the point where having a competitive car will make a difference.

Novice class is really just a formality. Ultimately, everyone races against themselves and improvement is relative. No one is going to blitz their class their first time out, or even their first year (unless their name is Schumacher or Senna). Just do whatever you can to allow your son to learn as much as he can as quickly as he can.

Plus, the bottom line is how much fun are you having? No matter how crappy my results are, I always know I've had a blast. I love cars and I love to drive.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Bob Pl
Club: GRA
Car#: 26

Post by Bob Pl »

I asked a (younger) experienced driver to mentor my son when he had his first autox experience & then dad made himself scarce for the rest of the event.

It was a smart move, both my friend & my son said they had a good time.

You might think of something along those lines.

:)
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Bob's got a point. And there are plenty of young'uns around. Leonard Cachola is the person to start with. He's the MAN!
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Join whatever club Doug wants you to join ... anything so Doug will help you run those VW's! :ibrightdea:
FrankGarza

Post by FrankGarza »

Each and every type features seasoned drivers within Alone two.
Inexperienced goes at the same time because your entered type. Inexperienced is usually obtained in a different way, that is the merely difference. (that my own alter up coming year using CSM)
Personally, i never went like a beginner because I did so definitely not know we'd a newcomer type back then. My spouse and i went towards some very nice drivers and trapped the idea out and about. My spouse and i recognized my own type and also the a lot of more than me personally drivers for many years wishing We would win sometime. My business is still studying, that is exactly what Alone is approximately. In the event that Oz wants to manage beginner that is certainly good. It might be finest when he / she created several close friends around outdated people and learned the experience gradually and progressively. That game is not merely regarding earning. It is complicated that is the reason why every one of us get it done for many years. In the event that the idea were being almost any easer it could be such as route racing (quote). It is regarding studying the best way to place it completely available as one package after which it contain the finest morning you will ever have. In the event that Oz wants me personally to indicate him or her some a number of issues have him or her display early on the train activities (but definitely not the subsequent one). We've got a lot of good trainers (way better than me). Oz must find the path and arranged the targets. We are able to support but he / she must learn the experience and choose how long he / she wants to head out.
Download high quality itil v3 dumps to prepare and pass 640-864 practice test with oracle certification dumps Testking itil certification Also get free demos of www.clarku.edu
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

FrankGarza wrote:Each and every type features seasoned drivers within Alone two.
Inexperienced goes at the same time because your entered type. Inexperienced is usually obtained in a different way, that is the merely difference. (that my own alter up coming year using CSM)
Personally, i never went like a beginner because I did so definitely not know we'd a newcomer type back then. My spouse and i went towards some very nice drivers and trapped the idea out and about. My spouse and i recognized my own type and also the a lot of more than me personally drivers for many years wishing We would win sometime. My business is still studying, that is exactly what Alone is approximately. In the event that Oz wants to manage beginner that is certainly good. It might be finest when he / she created several close friends around outdated people and learned the experience gradually and progressively. That game is not merely regarding earning. It is complicated that is the reason why every one of us get it done for many years. In the event that the idea were being almost any easer it could be such as route racing (quote). It is regarding studying the best way to place it completely available as one package after which it contain the finest morning you will ever have. In the event that Oz wants me personally to indicate him or her some a number of issues have him or her display early on the train activities (but definitely not the subsequent one). We've got a lot of good trainers (way better than me). Oz must find the path and arranged the targets. We are able to support but he / she must learn the experience and choose how long he / she wants to head out.
Speaking on behalf of the outdated people, well said!
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

All your base are belong to us
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Doug Teulie
Car#: 99

Post by Doug Teulie »

Bill Schenker wrote:All your base are belong to us
Yoda?
Doug T
PSCC CSCC #99 /SCNAX SD #151 LT Points 23,600.
TEAM DHE/FAST 1976 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 SILVER SCIROCCO
TEAM DHE/FAST 1980 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 RED SCIROCCO
Need VW parts?--->http://www.parts4vws.com Need Wax?--> Mother's
Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

Doug Teulie wrote:
Yoda?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_your_b ... long_to_us
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Doug Teulie wrote:
Yoda?
Not really just a bot. Notice it's the first post.