Introduction

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

David Uncles

Introduction

Post by David Uncles »

Hello Cal Club

I just signed up for the autox at the end of this month.
Have done occasional autox for 20 years, but was always once or twice a year at most with breaks of years between at times.
I know what's going on, but won't be serious competition for anyone.
Bought a Toyota 86 in the fall and part of my choice to get that car is the intention to do these more regularly than I have in the past.
Got the car with TRD springs & sways bars and putting some re-71rs on before the event. Going to leave it like that though as I'd rather spend my money racing than on the car.

Quick helmet question: I have an old SA2005 helmet and while I believe that is still good based on the snell year, is there an age limit on the helmet itself aside from that? It's probably about 10 years old and while I know I 'should' get a new one after 5 years, I was hoping to be able to put that off a month or two for budget purposes.

Thanks

David
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Re: Introduction

Post by Rick Brown »

Hi David, Welcome to Cal Club!

Your helmet is valid. While some organizations do have age limits, for autocross it's just the certification and 2005 is still acceptable.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Re: Introduction

Post by Bill Martin »

Consider if you buy one now it will be a Snell 2015. Wait until the Snell 2020s come out and it will have a 5 year longer life.
Kinda depends on if your current one is suitable and safe for the remainder of the year.