Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

roycmoore
Club: GRA
Car#: 854

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Post by roycmoore »

Hi. Roy Moore here. Just bought a 1999 Mazda Miata for autocross. Need help in classing the car. I registered the car with MotorsportsReg.com in S2/ES for stock auto. Please confirm if this is correct or what changes I need to make. I also renewed my points card but was unable to confirm if my old number was still available to me. How do I find the list of numbers being used? Thanks for your help.
Brian Kelly
Club: No$
Car#: 215

Post by Brian Kelly »

That's the correct class. Perhaps Kurt will chime in about the points card.
2000 Miata LS
#215 ES
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

roycmoore wrote:Hi. Roy Moore here. Just bought a 1999 Mazda Miata for autocross. Need help in classing the car. I registered the car with MotorsportsReg.com in S2/ES for stock auto. Please confirm if this is correct or what changes I need to make. I also renewed my points card but was unable to confirm if my old number was still available to me. How do I find the list of numbers being used? Thanks for your help.
Welcome back, Roy. PM Kurt Rahn on the points card.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
roycmoore
Car#: 854

Post by roycmoore »

Thank you Brian and KJ for the responses. I do not know what PM means for contacting Kurt about the points card. I am just learning how to use this forum and trying to figure out how to find people on it. Please advise how to find Kurt. Regards, Roy Moore
Adam Tarnoff
Club: CASOC
Car#: 49

Post by Adam Tarnoff »

roycmoore wrote:Thank you Brian and KJ for the responses. I do not know what PM means for contacting Kurt about the points card. I am just learning how to use this forum and trying to figure out how to find people on it. Please advise how to find Kurt. Regards, Roy Moore

Private message.
#49 STX Mazda RX-8
Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

roycmoore wrote:Hi. Roy Moore here. Just bought a 1999 Mazda Miata for autocross. Need help in classing the car. I registered the car with MotorsportsReg.com in S2/ES for stock auto. Please confirm if this is correct or what changes I need to make.
If your car is unadulterated stock, that is the correct class... but it it's modified in any way, it may not be. Are there any mods, no matter how insignificant you might believe them to be? Things as innocent as aftermarket rims, or an intake can knock you out of stock.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

roycmoore wrote:Thank you Brian and KJ for the responses. I do not know what PM means for contacting Kurt about the points card. I am just learning how to use this forum and trying to figure out how to find people on it. Please advise how to find Kurt. Regards, Roy Moore
Use this link to contact Kurt: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3654 (From the contacts page on solo2.com)
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Rick Brown wrote:
Use this link to contact Kurt: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3654 (From the contacts page on solo2.com)
We connected. Thanks!
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
angela7171

Post by angela7171 »

Hi, I'm Angela in Los Angeles and I am new here. I searched on this forum for the word "Veloster" and apparently, I am the only one so far... If anyone could assist with classification of a 2013 Hyundai Veloster Turbo six speed manual transmission, I would appreciate it very much. Also, I built an intake for it, installed torsion/strut/sway bars, and swapped out the stock 18' wheels for 17' Motegi Racing wheels. Yes, I have a helmet (I race motorcycles - which reminds me, I should probably remove the tow hitch before I put the car on a race course, right? Haha!) I'm considering going to the July 20th autocross at El Toro. Thanks!
Do, or do not... There is no try.
Adam Tarnoff

Post by Adam Tarnoff »

angela7171 wrote:Hi, I'm Angela in Los Angeles and I am new here. I searched on this forum for the word "Veloster" and apparently, I am the only one so far... If anyone could assist with classification of a 2013 Hyundai Veloster Turbo six speed manual transmission, I would appreciate it very much. Also, I built an intake for it, installed torsion/strut/sway bars, and swapped out the stock 18' wheels for 17' Motegi Racing wheels. Yes, I have a helmet (I race motorcycles - which reminds me, I should probably remove the tow hitch before I put the car on a race course, right? Haha!) I'm considering going to the July 20th autocross at El Toro. Thanks!

Veloster Turbo would be G-Street (S2 I think for us); however, as you've added more than one bar, that probably bumps you up into a prepared class. The easiest thing to do in this case would to be to sign up for the Novice class and pick something like CST or S2; no one is going to bite your head off because you couldn't figure out where to class your car at your first autocross.
#49 STX Mazda RX-8
angela7171

Post by angela7171 »

THANK YOU!
Brian Kelly
Car#: 215

Post by Brian Kelly »

Agree with above. Novice class with CST index would probably be most appropriate. My coworker brings his Veloster Turbo out on occasion too, and runs in GS (it's all stock). Very fun car, even without any mods! :D
2000 Miata LS
#215 ES
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Might as well class it right from the begining.

The new Street Class rules allow the 1" diameter difference, rims must be of the same width as original though, and within a 1/4" of original offset (including use of spacers).

Street Class allows ONE anti-roll bar (i.e. your sway/strut/torsen bars). So if you have them front and back that's over the allowance.

Street Class only allows an intake filter replacement. So your "Intake" is probably over that allowance.

The above are kinda minor breaks in class, but they are outside of the limits and I wouldn't tell you to go ahead and run street class despite whats in the other messages. Your lowest available class will be STX. STX is not a high prep class, but will allow some fun mods like simple suspension upgrades and intake/exaust mods. (Note "Turbo" upgrades are pretty far out in the class progression and would put you in a very fast class; if you want to actually compete, don't mess with the turbo).

Here's my advice. Run Novice with an STX subclass for now**. Then in a few events, or say the first of the year, decide if you want to un-prep your car a little and go to G-Street or if your not going to be happy with that in daily driving, aim for STX and make a few more fun modifications.

**Novice class is a "PAX"ed class, ("PAX" is our word for handicaping cars together with a performance factor, like a golf handicap for your car). So "Novice" is the class and "STX" determines your performance index within that class. This is all done so its more about driver vs driver instead of 'who has the most expensive car'.

Jay W
angela7171

Post by angela7171 »

Thank you everyone for the follow up info. I hope to meet some of you in person this weekend. On Sunday, I'll be driving Ortega Highway then I'll stop by El Toro to watch autocross, pester folks with more questions, and cheer for the VT's out there (I saw that there are two on the registration list, Frank Rodriguez and Brian Kelly - Hello Brian!). I'll be the little redhead in the white Veloster with tinted windows and an Alpinestars and a LA Kings sticker on the rear.
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

angela7171 wrote:I'll stop by El Toro to watch autocross,
Trust me on this, just sign up. Watching will just make you bored and wish you hadn't wasted the weekend not participating.

Jay W
angela7171

Post by angela7171 »

But if I actually register, that means I need to show up at a certain time and I can't commit to being there at pre-coffee-oclock on a Sunday after a 500+mile mega-motorcycle ride on Saturday...
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 13

Post by Jeff Stuart »

angela7171 wrote:But if I actually register, that means I need to show up at a certain time and I can't commit to being there at pre-coffee-oclock on a Sunday after a 500+mile mega-motorcycle ride on Saturday...
CST runs in the afternoon, so you could register NOV-CST and then you don't have to show up until 11:00am or so. Registration and tech are open until 12:00p, and there will be an opportunity to walk course during lunch time (including a novice course walk led by our novice coordinator Leonard Cachola).
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Jeff Stuart wrote:
angela7171 wrote:But if I actually register, that means I need to show up at a certain time and I can't commit to being there at pre-coffee-oclock on a Sunday after a 500+mile mega-motorcycle ride on Saturday...
CST runs in the afternoon, so you could register NOV-CST and then you don't have to show up until 11:00am or so. Registration and tech are open until 12:00p, and there will be an opportunity to walk course during lunch time (including a novice course walk led by our novice coordinator Leonard Cachola).
And if you think you might do this, go ahead and pre-register online. It will save you $10 and pre-pay is optional.
https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/au ... 7SALbEvCpo
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
angela7171

Post by angela7171 »

Okay, thanks for the tractor beam. I've officially been sucked in.
sspyderx

Post by sspyderx »

Hey, it has been a while since I have gone to an autocross event. My car has changed quite a bit since then so I have no idea what class it is in, hence why I am here.

Its a 1984 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE with a wide body and 16x9 wheels in back and 16x7 in the front plus. I ripped out the steering box it had and put in a rack and pinion with modified sub frame. It has larger sway bars front and rear, front strut bar, engine brace, Tokiko shocks and Racing Beat Springs. Engine is Stock with a Racing Beat Muffler.

Than about covers all the mods. So I almost want to say its a SM class but I want to double make sure before I register.

Regards.
Bill Martin
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

SM is typically 4-seat sedans. Two seaters go to SSM. But your modified sub-frame might not work for that class.

If you plan to run CalClub, we have a CST class that's very unrestrictive but requires street tires and a similar CSM class for modified street cars with R-comp tires.

PS, you should really re-register here with your real name. It's our policy.
AndresSanfelippo

Post by AndresSanfelippo »

1996 Acura Integra RS
Buddy Club N+ coil overs with top hats
15x7 Rota Slipstreams +40 offset
205/50/15 Bridgestone Potenza RE-11A
Magnaflow Muffler

Help Me please.
Adam Tarnoff

Post by Adam Tarnoff »

AndresSanfelippo wrote:1996 Acura Integra RS
Buddy Club N+ coil overs with top hats
15x7 Rota Slipstreams +40 offset
205/50/15 Bridgestone Potenza RE-11A
Magnaflow Muffler

Help Me please.
Sounds like STF to me (Street Touring FWD)
#49 STX Mazda RX-8
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

STC

The only Acuras in STF are the TSX and RSX
The Integra Type R is in STX. The rest of the Integras are in STC.
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
m.meyer

Post by m.meyer »

I have a 2011 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 it has the following modifications:

Rear Sway Bar
Upgraded rear polyurethane engine mount
Shifter cable mount relocater plate
Lighter shifter weight
Second Cat and resonator delete to stock muffler

Open for options on tires