Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Richard Jung
Club: PSCC
Car#: 71

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Post by Richard Jung »

Intake duct, canards and non-factory front splitter are technically illegal. Maybe ok to run it like that at regional event, if your competitors are ok with it.
Fun car, good luck.

Rick

Edit: Noticed that the Varis pic was probably only to show the intake, so disregard the canards comment. :)
Mark DeShon
Car#: 113

Post by Mark DeShon »

Richard Jung wrote:Intake duct, canards and non-factory front splitter are technically illegal. Maybe ok to run it like that at regional event, if your competitors are ok with it.
Fun car, good luck.

Rick

Edit: Noticed that the Varis pic was probably only to show the intake, so disregard the canards comment. :)
Well, Rick, you're STU. Are you okay with it? haha.
Agreed. Non-factory aero pieces and the intake make it STU illegal. I'm building an STU 350 as well and I won't have any issue running against you regionally unless you start kicking my butt. haha. Once you bump to the National level you would likely get protested, but right now just worry about getting seat time. Also, I reluctantly bring this up because I want more STU competition, but we have a regional run-what-you-brung class called CST (California Street Tire) that you would fit into. Hoping to see you out soon. Remember, seat time is key!
Mark D.
Jc Nubla
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 424

Post by Jc Nubla »

thank you for all the clarifications Rick and Mark. and yes, I just captured the pic from Varis to show the intake duct. not my actual car, I wish it was though! :) hoping to get some seat time soon! :D
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Jc Nubla wrote:thank you for all the clarifications Rick and Mark. and yes, I just captured the pic from Varis to show the intake duct. not my actual car, I wish it was though! :) hoping to get some seat time soon! :D
Just tape over it for local events.

No competitor can give you the ok to bring a non-compliant car for competition, its up to you to do the right thing.
Jeffear
Club: CASOC
Car#: 482

Post by Jeffear »

Just curious. What class would a 2015 Mustang with Ecoboost turbo 4, with auto trans and performance package run in. Assume DOT street tires on stock wheels.
Typical human reaction to the accordion.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL6d4ZysqKo
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 13

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Jeffear wrote:Just curious. What class would a 2015 Mustang with Ecoboost turbo 4, with auto trans and performance package run in. Assume DOT street tires on stock wheels.
While it doesn't appear that the rules have been updated as such yet, this was in the most recent (December) FasTrack:
#14863 Mustang Classing Proposal
Per the SAC, add a new listing in FStreet for the 2015 Mustang.
That is the only information to go off of that I could find (nothing about particular models), but it seems like a safe bet you're looking at FS.

Assuming of course you don't have any mods that are illegal in Street classes.

Link to FasTrack: http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/ass ... %201-3.pdf
JanelMeric

Post by JanelMeric »

I am new to autocross and will be racing a 2008 BMW 135 i. What classification will I be in?
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

JanelMeric wrote:I am new to autocross and will be racing a 2008 BMW 135 i. What classification will I be in?
F Street assuming it's stock.
JanelMeric

Post by JanelMeric »

Yes, my 135i is stock. The only thing changed is non-runflat tires. Is F Street the same as F Stock classification? I don't see F Street listed on the web site. Also, where can I get magnetic or removable vinyl numbers and letters? Do I use just "FS" for my F street classification? What about the fact that I am a novice and female? Would I add letters to signify these also? Sorry so many questions!
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

JanelMeric wrote:Yes, my 135i is stock. The only thing changed is non-runflat tires. Is F Street the same as F Stock classification? I don't see F Street listed on the web site. Also, where can I get magnetic or removable vinyl numbers and letters? Do I use just "FS" for my F street classification? What about the fact that I am a novice and female? Would I add letters to signify these also? Sorry so many questions!
F Street is the new name for F Stock, the difference being the requirement for tires with a treadwear rating of 200 or higher.
Two people in the organization can make magnetic numbers for you that meet the guidelines, which include numbers and class letters. Jayson Woodruff (http://www.jaycomvinyl.com/) or me (rickracer@quixnet.net).
If you choose to run in Novice, which is a good place to start, you would need NOV FS (or NOVL FS for ladies class, you can run in either) on your car. You would still run with the FS cars, just scored with the rest of the novices.

Note that until you purchase a Points Card, you are considered a guest and will be issued paper numbers at registration in the 600 range. The Points Card lets you choose a permanent number in addition to earning points for year end awards.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

We haven't had competition in NOVL for a while. You might consider the PAX-Ladies class. 9 time national champ Christine Grice is running open Pax and several time Nat'l champ Nicole Wong is running STS Open. That makes PAXL at least in the range of mere mortals with a couple of tough aliens running against the guys.

I've been promoting PAXL to several ladies as an option to run. Its fun to run in a big class and of course the more competitors the more trophies. Novice class is very fragmented since you run with the underlying class. FStreet doesn't have a huge following. I think we could easily hit 7-8 ladies running PAXL with a range of skill and experience. That would be a blast. If that doesn't interest you, I'd suggest just running NOV open and not the Ladies so you have competition. It really helps to have competitors to run against. We are a helpful bunch. Its not cutthroat. We are all about driver development locally and most of want to increase our competition. Its nice to run against a regular bunch and compare your improvement against known quantities.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:FStreet doesn't have a huge following.
Has the most pre-regs of all the Street classes so far...
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Thumbs up on that! I love being corrected with good news!
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Jesus Saucedo
Club: No$
Car#: 226

Post by Jesus Saucedo »

Steve Ekstrand wrote: I've been promoting PAXL to several ladies as an option to run. Its fun to run in a big class and of course the more competitors the more trophies. Novice class is very fragmented since you run with the underlying class... It really helps to have competitors to run against. We are a helpful bunch. Its not cutthroat. We are all about driver development locally and most of want to increase our competition. Its nice to run against a regular bunch and compare your improvement against known quantities.
Well said, and so true. The people of the former STC were so cool and helpful to me. Much appreciated. And I need to dust off the Civic to see where I'm at these days (still near the bottom, surely. hehe).
Art Rinner
Car#: 83

Post by Art Rinner »

My brother Vince is interested in Soloing his Boss 302 Laguna Seca. Am I correct that it is legal for STU?

Thanks
Art Rinner
#83 240ZT
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 13

Post by Jeff Stuart »

It's listed as an A Street car (assuming it doesn't have any non-street mods).

As an Street Touring car, yes, STU.
Art Rinner

Post by Art Rinner »

I thought I read it was on the exclusion list for Street.
Art Rinner
#83 240ZT
Matt Ales
Car#: 87

Post by Matt Ales »

Jeff's correct. Laguna Seca edition is AS, non Laguna addition is FS, uggggggg, and both go to STU but really if you're gonna go STU you should really just go to ESP cause that's what everyone else does. :D
#87 - 2006 BMW M3
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 30

Post by Anthony P. »

Matt Ales wrote:Jeff's correct. Laguna Seca edition is AS, non Laguna addition is FS, uggggggg, and both go to STU but really if you're gonna go STU you should really just go to ESP cause that's what everyone else does. :D
ESP for the win!
Art Rinner

Post by Art Rinner »

ESP=Race Tires=$$$=No go
AS it is.
Art Rinner
#83 240ZT
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Art Rinner wrote:My brother Vince is interested in Soloing his Boss 302 Laguna Seca. Am I correct that it is legal for STU?
Thanks
Glad to hear your brothers coming back out. Its been a while. Down sized a bit from the big 'ol police cruiser?

You had another family member who also ran wen you first started didn't you?
Art Rinner

Post by Art Rinner »

Craig Naylor wrote:
Art Rinner wrote:My brother Vince is interested in Soloing his Boss 302 Laguna Seca. Am I correct that it is legal for STU?
Thanks
Glad to hear your brothers coming back out. Its been a while. Down sized a bit from the big 'ol police cruiser?

You had another family member who also ran wen you first started didn't you?
That would have been Russ, he's now into making custom guitars and karaoke.
Art Rinner
#83 240ZT
86daily

Post by 86daily »

Hello! I'm a complete novice to AutoX. I do have some limited track experience (6-7 days) over the last 2 years and am hoping to hone my car control.

I own a fairly stock-ish 2013 Subaru BRZ and am seeking help with car classing!

Mods:
Home-brew Setrab oil cooler
17x9 Wedsport TC105n wheels
235-40-17 Dunlop Z2
Tein Street Flex Adjustable Coilover Suspension
SPL Rear Lower Control Arms - Spherical Bushings
Alignment by West End
Carbotech XP10 brake pads

I visited today's practice session at Fontana to learn more about autox. People have told me that the bushings on the rear LCAs bump me out of STX class and into CST or SM class which would not make my car very competitive.

Thanks in advance! :)
Jc Nubla
Car#: 424

Post by Jc Nubla »

Hi Guys,

I have a friend that I got hooked into the sport :twisted:

just wanted to know what class he would fall in to. he's planning to run on March 8 as NOV as well.

2003 Porsche Boxster 2.7
Lowering Springs and HFC are the only mods.

thanks in advance for the help!

JC
ajmawley

Post by ajmawley »

Hello, I need help classing my car.

It's a 2003 Corvette Z06 w/ mild heads/cam/intake mods and an exhaust. The suspension is stock. The tires are Toyo R888s in the rear and Federal RSR's in the front. I know a stock c5 z06 belongs in A street, but I was wondering if I would be in A mod since I have <200 tw tires and engine work.

Thanks,

AJ