Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

To 86 Daily- Spherical bearings thoroughly screw you in autocross. For national classing. SM. Without the spherical bearings in the lower control arms, you have a great start to a nice streetable STX car.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

To JC-

There is no place for the Boxster in Street touring. So any prep beyond Street class takes you in scary fast territory.
ASP SSM XP FP EM

Locally you may be a good fit in CST. Its basically a run what you brung class for streetable cars on 200tw or above tires.

I ran for 6 yrs until I got my first competitive car. So, don't let that keep you from having fun.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

ajmawley wrote:Hello, I need help classing my car.

It's a 2003 Corvette Z06 w/ mild heads/cam/intake mods and an exhaust. The suspension is stock. The tires are Toyo R888s in the rear and Federal RSR's in the front. I know a stock c5 z06 belongs in A street, but I was wondering if I would be in A mod since I have <200 tw tires and engine work.

Thanks,

AJ

Head and cams takes past ST or SP to SSM. Rough class. You'd have a potentially competitive car in our local only California Street Touring class with 200TW tires. We also have a California Street Mod class locally for R compounds. I think Bill Martin sometimes runs there with a miata. He'd probably love a new competitor there. That sounds like a potentially very competitive car in our two local options. Just no good national options.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Paul Churgin
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 386

Post by Paul Churgin »

86daily wrote:Hello! I'm a complete novice to AutoX. I do have some limited track experience (6-7 days) over the last 2 years and am hoping to hone my car control.

I own a fairly stock-ish 2013 Subaru BRZ and am seeking help with car classing!

Mods:
Home-brew Setrab oil cooler
17x9 Wedsport TC105n wheels
235-40-17 Dunlop Z2
Tein Street Flex Adjustable Coilover Suspension
SPL Rear Lower Control Arms - Spherical Bushings
Alignment by West End
Carbotech XP10 brake pads

I visited today's practice session at Fontana to learn more about autox. People have told me that the bushings on the rear LCAs bump me out of STX class and into CST or SM class which would not make my car very competitive.

Thanks in advance! :)
Yeah, that's the only reason I've stayed away from SPL LCA's. Whiteline seems to be one of the best that I can find that is STX legal with rubber/poly bushings.
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 30

Post by Anthony P. »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:
ajmawley wrote:Hello, I need help classing my car.

It's a 2003 Corvette Z06 w/ mild heads/cam/intake mods and an exhaust. The suspension is stock. The tires are Toyo R888s in the rear and Federal RSR's in the front. I know a stock c5 z06 belongs in A street, but I was wondering if I would be in A mod since I have <200 tw tires and engine work.

Thanks,

AJ

Head and cams takes past ST or SP to SSM. Rough class. You'd have a potentially competitive car in our local only California Street Touring class with 200TW tires. We also have a California Street Mod class locally for R compounds. I think Bill Martin sometimes runs there with a miata. He'd probably love a new competitor there. That sounds like a potentially very competitive car in our two local options. Just no good national options.

There is also Lauren in my Miata and Jessica in a heloo kitty Miata too. maybe easy pickings but then again maybe not, :oops: :lol:
86daily

Post by 86daily »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:To 86 Daily- Spherical bearings thoroughly screw you in autocross. For national classing. SM. Without the spherical bearings in the lower control arms, you have a great start to a nice streetable STX car.
Thanks Steve! :D
86daily

Post by 86daily »

I will have to measure my times against those in STX.
Paul Churgin wrote:
86daily wrote:Hello! I'm a complete novice to AutoX. I do have some limited track experience (6-7 days) over the last 2 years and am hoping to hone my car control.

I own a fairly stock-ish 2013 Subaru BRZ and am seeking help with car classing!

Mods:
Home-brew Setrab oil cooler
17x9 Wedsport TC105n wheels
235-40-17 Dunlop Z2
Tein Street Flex Adjustable Coilover Suspension
SPL Rear Lower Control Arms - Spherical Bushings
Alignment by West End
Carbotech XP10 brake pads

I visited today's practice session at Fontana to learn more about autox. People have told me that the bushings on the rear LCAs bump me out of STX class and into CST or SM class which would not make my car very competitive.

Thanks in advance! :)
Yeah, that's the only reason I've stayed away from SPL LCA's. Whiteline seems to be one of the best that I can find that is STX legal with rubber/poly bushings.
Jc Nubla
Car#: 424

Post by Jc Nubla »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:To JC-

There is no place for the Boxster in Street touring. So any prep beyond Street class takes you in scary fast territory.
ASP SSM XP FP EM

Locally you may be a good fit in CST. Its basically a run what you brung class for streetable cars on 200tw or above tires.

I ran for 6 yrs until I got my first competitive car. So, don't let that keep you from having fun.
thank you Steve! I will let me friend know about it :)
Rich Mitsuda

Post by Rich Mitsuda »

Hello,

I've been away from SCCA Autocrossing for many years. I would like to bring my daughter to some events this summer in her 2005 Mini Cooper S (completely stock). Would she run in DS-Ladies? Thanks in advance for your help.

Rich
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Blue One wrote:Hello,

I've been away from SCCA Autocrossing for many years. I would like to bring my daughter to some events this summer in her 2005 Mini Cooper S (completely stock). Would she run in DS-Ladies? Thanks in advance for your help.

Rich
Welcome back, Rich.
Yes, DS is correct. She can run in DS Ladies, though we don't have any others at the moment. Also, Novice/Novice Ladies where her times would be indexed with other Novices, although you still run with DS.

By the way, you may notice we prefer users use their real names in this forum.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Rich Mitsuda

Post by Rich Mitsuda »

Rick Brown wrote:
Blue One wrote:Hello,

Rich
Welcome back, Rich.
Yes, DS is correct. She can run in DS Ladies, though we don't have any others at the moment. Also, Novice/Novice Ladies where her times would be indexed with other Novices, although you still run with DS.

By the way, you may notice we prefer users use their real names in this forum.

Rick -

Thanks for the class information! By the way, is there a way I can edit my user name?
Marty M

RE: Post Car Classing Questions Here

Post by Marty M »

My car is a bone stock BMW 325es 1986. It's 120 hp. Manual transmission. Does anyone know what class it should be? Thanks! 8-)
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

E30 non-M's are in GStreet.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Max Shline

Post by Max Shline »

Hey guys,

This will be my first AutoX event and I needed some help figuring out where my NA Miata belongs...

Current mods are:
-lowering springs
-adjustable shocks
-rolled fenders to allow clearance for aftermarket wheels
-high flow cat
-aftermarket muffler (roadster sport)
-roll bar
-stainless steel braided brake lines
-Bridgestone Potenza RE-11A tires
-aftermarket front lip
-aftermarket steering wheel (no airbag)
-front sway bar
-strut bar

Thanks a bunch guys and gals!

-Max
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

What width wheels and size tires?
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Technically CSP because of the steering wheel, rolled fenders and potentially wheels.
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Max Shline

Post by Max Shline »

Wheels are 15x8 20mm offset. Tires are RE11A 205-50-15
Chris

Post by Chris »

Greetings! I plan on being at the SoCal Solo II
Sunday, May 3, 2015
Auto Club Speedway, Fontana, CA

According to the 2015 solo rules My car is classed as (GS) Mustang (V6) (1994-2010) pg.171

However, when I read about the allowed modifications, [Sub-frame connectors] my car is categorized as STS.

I signed up Novice indexed:
696 Cisneros, Chris Street Touring Sport 1999 Ford mustang Fontana, CA

Does it appear that I filled in the right information? :?
I'm a little bit confused. What is the difference of classing, indexing, modifier?

When I place my class letters on the side of the car what do I put? GS or STS or?
Thank you,
Chris
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Chris wrote:Greetings! I plan on being at the SoCal Solo II
Sunday, May 3, 2015
Auto Club Speedway, Fontana, CA

According to the 2015 solo rules My car is classed as (GS) Mustang (V6) (1994-2010) pg.171

However, when I read about the allowed modifications, [Sub-frame connectors] my car is categorized as STS.

I signed up Novice indexed:
696 Cisneros, Chris Street Touring Sport 1999 Ford mustang Fontana, CA

Does it appear that I filled in the right information? :?
I'm a little bit confused. What is the difference of classing, indexing, modifier?

When I place my class letters on the side of the car what do I put? GS or STS or?
Thank you,
Chris
MSR unfortunately use several names interchangeably, index=modifier=PAX, which is what determines the index multiplier applied to your time. Class is what group you are running in which may or may not be indexed (indicated in the Class listing on MSR). "Class" on MSR consists of all SCCA National classes, plus our local classes, most of which are indexed based on the PAX/RTP system (http://home.comcast.net/~paxrtp/rtp2015.html) since they consist of multiple SCCA classes running together. You signed up correctly, NOV STS, which is what goes on the car, also.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Chris

Post by Chris »

Rick Brown wrote: MSR unfortunately use several names interchangeably, index=modifier=PAX, which is what determines the index multiplier applied to your time. Class is what group you are running in which may or may not be indexed (indicated in the Class listing on MSR). "Class" on MSR consists of all SCCA National classes, plus our local classes, most of which are indexed based on the PAX/RTP system (http://home.comcast.net/~paxrtp/rtp2015.html) since they consist of multiple SCCA classes running together. You signed up correctly, NOV STS, which is what goes on the car, also.
Sweet! Thanks Rick for all the clarification and great Info. I'm enjoying learning as much as I can.
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Rick Brown wrote: You signed up correctly, NOV STS, which is what goes on the car, also.
Mustangs go to STU according to Appendix A. So, NOV STU.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Chris

Post by Chris »

Leonard Cachola wrote:
Rick Brown wrote: You signed up correctly, NOV STS, which is what goes on the car, also.
Mustangs go to STU according to Appendix A. So, NOV STU.

Thanks Leonard. When I look at Appendix A, I'm reading v6 mustangs classed as GS or ESP. The STU class seems to be saying, N/A Not Applicable?
-----
G Street class (GS)
Fusion (6-cyl)
Mustang (V6) (1994-2010) <--- my car.
Mustang SVO
Taurus SHO (1989-99, 2010-15)
ZX2 S/R (1999-2003)
General Motors
FWD models (4-cyl T
-----
Street Touring® Ultra (stu)

Ford
Mustang (N/A)
Mustang EcoBoost (2015)*

Or possibly:

EStreetPrepared (esp)
Mustang SN95 Chassis (1994-2004) <---My car SN95 chassis
Mustang (S197 chassis incl. Boss
----

It also looks like my wheels being 8 inches, classifies me as STX.

14.4 WHEELS
Any wheels are allowed with widths up to the following (OE wheels exceeding these maximums are not permitted):
STF, STS, STR (AWD)
7.5”
STX (AWD)
8.0”
STX, STR (2WD) <----My car 8 inch 2 wheel drive
9.0”
STU unlimited
------
I guess I should bring several letters just in case I am reclassified? STS, STU, STX, ESP.

If you guys get a chance, please review. I just want to have fun & learn to drive better.
Chris
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Chris wrote:
Thanks Leonard. When I look at Appendix A, I'm reading v6 mustangs classed as GS or ESP. The STU class seems to be saying, N/A Not Applicable?
-----
N/A = Normally Aspirated (first page in Appendix A)

You can run wheels up to 9" wide in STU, so your 8" wheels are legal in STU. The wheels alone bump you from GS to STU automatically. Mustangs aren't in STS or STX according to Appendix A.

ESP runs on R-Compound tires like Hoosier A6 or A7, whereas GS and STU run on street tires with 200 treadwear or higher.

We can reclass you after the event, if necessary.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Chris

Post by Chris »

Leonard Cachola wrote:
Chris wrote:
-----
N/A = Normally Aspirated (first page in Appendix A)

You can run wheels up to 9" wide in STU, so your 8" wheels are legal in STU. The wheels alone bump you from GS to STU automatically. Mustangs aren't in STS or STX according to Appendix A.

ESP runs on R-Compound tires like Hoosier A6 or A7, whereas GS and STU run on street tires with 200 treadwear or higher.

We can reclass you after the event, if necessary.

Awesome! Thanks for the clarification. That helped a lot.
Mark Hardt

Post by Mark Hardt »

I have been running my 2013 Subaru BRZ in CS class for a while now but I heard that some with the Scion FRS in the CS class are running with TRD lowered springs. I tried to read the rules but it is very confusing (dame lawyers). The document seems to say no and yes at the same time. Please clarify. Can I run TRD lowering springs (PTR07-18130) on my BRZ and stay CS class? Also, it seems very unfair if Scion FRS can be stock with TRD parts, but not the Subaru BRZ which is the same car.