Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Max Hayter
Club: CASOC
Car#: 31

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Post by Max Hayter »

You are not allowed to run the TRD parts. However, I wouldn't worry too much as I don't think they are a massive advantage in CS. If I was running CS, I'd buy a 09+ MX5.
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Adam Tarnoff
Car#: 49

Post by Adam Tarnoff »

Max Hayter wrote:You are not allowed to run the TRD parts. However, I wouldn't worry too much as I don't think they are a massive advantage in CS. If I was running CS, I'd buy a 09+ MX5.
Don't encourage anymore MX5s I need a chance next year!
#49 STX Mazda RX-8
Max Hayter

Post by Max Hayter »

I drove Hi Ly's on Sunday. Had me checking Craigslist this week!
~Max H.

#31 SSC
Mark Hardt

Post by Mark Hardt »

I like my car. No need to be a hater.
Max Hayter

Post by Max Hayter »

Mark Hardt wrote:I like my car. No need to be a hater.
Lol...I like it to - I used to own a BRZ.

In truth, the realities of stock class car ownership can be harsh. Rules change and suddenly, you don't have the car to have anymore. In this case, Toyota did all FRS owners a huge favor, and Subaru did not follow suit. However, I haven't seen the new version of the FRS win in CS (at big events) either, so in reality, you're no worse off and it's not such an advantage where you couldn't outdrive them anyway.

As a fairly new person to the sport, I would not concern yourself with this in the slightest. Concentrate on learning to drive the best you can... if you find yourself coming 2nd to the TRD FRS at National events by 0.2 seconds, then think about changing. However, my guess is that the NC MX5 is actually the car to have for the moment, and for next year we will have to see where they class the ND MX5.

If all that troubles you, build the BRZ to STX where you will have the dominant car :)
~Max H.

#31 SSC
Mark Hardt

Post by Mark Hardt »

Thank you for your responsive answer and insight. I get your point about the stock class. Must be nice to rotate cars every year but I am still making payments. I'm not sure what you mean by the "huge favor", but I did hear that Subaru is not interested in continuing the model. I will move to STX class but I worry I will not be able to compete without deep-pockets. I have to go check the rules for that class. Still, it is worth it for the fun and driving experience. Also, the MX5 may perform better but in my opinion the BRZ is a better looking car. Thanks again.
Jc Nubla
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 424

Post by Jc Nubla »

Hi Everyone,

I got my uncle hooked up into the sport and we were wondering what class his car falls in to. his car is a 2009 Mini Cooper JCW. it's completely stock. he is going to run novice but we just wanted to make sure he runs together with his class too.

thank you in advance and hope everyone would have a wonderful 4th of July!

JC
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Jc Nubla wrote:Hi Everyone,

I got my uncle hooked up into the sport and we were wondering what class his car falls in to. his car is a 2009 Mini Cooper JCW. it's completely stock. he is going to run novice but we just wanted to make sure he runs together with his class too.

JC
D Street
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Jc Nubla
Car#: 424

Post by Jc Nubla »

Rick Brown wrote:
Jc Nubla wrote:Hi Everyone,

JC
D Street
thanks Rick! :D
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

For future reference, this is where you look for car classing:
SCCA Appendix A-Automobile Classing, then CTRL F to search. Simple searches work best, i.e., "cooper" rather than "2009 BMW Mini Cooper JCW".

Obviously, only gets you all the classes you could be in and it's a little harder if you don't understand how the mods you've done to your car affect where you go, but that's what this thread is for.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Mark Hardt wrote: I'm not sure what you mean by the "huge favor", but I did hear that Subaru is not interested in continuing the model.
I believe Max is referring to Toyota making the springs a port installed option, which makes them eligible for Street (or something of that nature). I'm guessing by the comment, Subaru has not done the same.

On the other hand... Subaru was quoted in one of the July issues of Automotive News that they would be continuing into the next generation of BRZ. There is also this news article about the STi version back in April. http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/no ... ed-america
Kristoffer Gjevre

Post by Kristoffer Gjevre »

Is AS the class for a completely stock 2007 Corvette Z06 on street tires (with thread wear 220)?
13.3 TIRES
A. Specifications
1. Minimum UTQG Treadwear Grade of 200.
APPENDIX A - AUTOMOBILE CLASSES
A Street class (AS)
Chevrolet
Camaro Z28 (2014-15)
Camaro ZL1 (2012-15)
Corvette (C6, non-ZR1) (2005-13)
Corvette Z06 (C5) (2001-04)
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 13

Post by Jeff Stuart »

You've already done the work for us!

Yes, A Street.
jchdiley

Post by jchdiley »

1969 chevelle full autocross set up, LS3 swap? under muscle car or street touring?
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

jchdiley wrote:1969 chevelle full autocross set up, LS3 swap? under muscle car or street touring?
Your engine swap eliminates Street & Street Touring, and Street Prepared, and Prepared classes

"full autocross setup" is to vague... need more details. I've provided links to each of the classes specific allowances.

SM http://www.scca.com/downloads/7838-2015 ... e/download
- this one is tricky, and beyond my knowledge of your car. If the Chevelle came with an "LS" motor as an option... and Chevy considers the LS motors to be a family for marketing purposes of a basically same motor... maybe.

additionally we have a Muscle car specific class:
CAM-T http://scca.growsites.net/downloads/371 ... 2/download

And... if you don't fitr the rules of either of these we has a run what you bring class for:
140TW tires - CST
DOT tires - CSM
Shawn Fineout
Car#: 314

Post by Shawn Fineout »

2015 VW GTI, stock except for a stg 1 ecu tune. Does that take me out of ST?
-Shawn Fineout
2015 Tornado Red GTI
Adam Tarnoff

Post by Adam Tarnoff »

fineout wrote:2015 VW GTI, stock except for a stg 1 ecu tune. Does that take me out of ST?
A tune moves you from Street to Street Touring - I believe the GTI falls into STX.
#49 STX Mazda RX-8
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

Adam Tarnoff wrote:
fineout wrote:2015 VW GTI, stock except for a stg 1 ecu tune. Does that take me out of ST?
A tune moves you from Street to Street Touring - I believe the GTI falls into STX.
if a stage 1 tune changes the factory boost control in any way (which is very likely) it is not ST legal either. street prepared is the first stop for non-stock boost.
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Marshall Grice wrote:
Adam Tarnoff wrote:
if a stage 1 tune changes the factory boost control in any way (which is very likely) it is not ST legal either. street prepared is the first stop for non-stock boost.
Owch!
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
jchdiley

Post by jchdiley »

Craig Naylor wrote:
jchdiley wrote:1969 chevelle full autocross set up, LS3 swap? under muscle car or street touring?
Your engine swap eliminates Street & Street Touring, and Street Prepared, and Prepared classes

"full autocross setup" is to vague... need more details. I've provided links to each of the classes specific allowances.

- this one is tricky, and beyond my knowledge of your car. If the Chevelle came with an "LS" motor as an option... and Chevy considers the LS motors to be a family for marketing purposes of a basically same motor... maybe.

additionally we have a Muscle car specific class:
CAM-T http://scca.growsites.net/downloads/371 ... 2/download

And... if you don't fitr the rules of either of these we has a run what you bring class for:
140TW tires - CST

all stock suspension has been removed and upgraded to modern upgraded suspension. LS (my LS) was not an option in 60s.
DOT tires - CSM
Justin Erickson
Car#: 846

Post by Justin Erickson »

I know that the rules for the street classes, i.e. HS, state we are allowed to change wheels so long as they are +/-1 inch in diameter, +/-7mm offset, and same width. What I'm wondering is is that limited to only the wheel that came stock on a given vehicle or is that based upon any wheel that was an option when new?
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough
- Mario Andretti
Adam Tarnoff

Post by Adam Tarnoff »

Justin Erickson wrote:I know that the rules for the street classes, i.e. HS, state we are allowed to change wheels so long as they are +/-1 inch in diameter, +/-7mm offset, and same width. What I'm wondering is is that limited to only the wheel that came stock on a given vehicle or is that based upon any wheel that was an option when new?
It's based on total package - so say you have a car that came with 7" wide wheels, and another that came with 8", but the 8" wide wheel car had navigation and leather seats, you would have to have those as well.
#49 STX Mazda RX-8
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

This one is not as hard as you made it. Badging refers to branding not engine family or type. If a Chevelle had a Chevy engine available, then you can swap in any Chevy branded engine even one not sold in the US Domestic Market but available for production automobiles in other countries.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
jismay

Post by jismay »

Here's a fun one. In my read through the rulebook I think this would probably be Sport Modified, but...

Car is a 1970 VW Squareback
Body is Stock
Interior is mostly stock except seats are 90' mustang seats attached to custom mounts welded to the floorpan
Steering wheel is aftermarket and smaller than stock.
Rear brakes have been upgraded to disc, so car is now four-wheel disc
Engine has been upgraded from stock 1600 (1585 really) to 1915CC
Induction has been changed from stock EFI to dual-carburetor
Wheels are non-original, but running stock-size tires.

Thoughts?
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

My first thought is get bigger tires!

After that, yes sounds like Stret Mod mostly by virtue of the bore/stroke. You'll probably be more comfortable in the local CST class though, technically should be faster, but more of a local yocall group that fits newer drivers better.

Jay W
jismay wrote:Here's a fun one. In my read through the rulebook I think this would probably be Sport Modified, but...

Car is a 1970 VW Squareback
Body is Stock
Interior is mostly stock except seats are 90' mustang seats attached to custom mounts welded to the floorpan
Steering wheel is aftermarket and smaller than stock.
Rear brakes have been upgraded to disc, so car is now four-wheel disc
Engine has been upgraded from stock 1600 (1585 really) to 1915CC
Induction has been changed from stock EFI to dual-carburetor
Wheels are non-original, but running stock-size tires.

Thoughts?