Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Post by George Schilling »

Max Hayter wrote:viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6393
Thanks Max. Fixed
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Steve Alexander

Post by Steve Alexander »

looks like I didn't get on the list for Saturday. I saw that the list was updated for Tuesday then again Wednesday, I guess there is a chance it took over 4 business days for my check to be received.
If I show up anyway, is there a chance my car can run if there is a cancelation? there are 102 people signed up, just two over the limit.
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Steve: You should probably choose a more appropriate topic to post these types of questions. For instance this one would have been perfect for the "CASOC Practice Entry List" thread.

But to answer the question; there is always a chance folks will dropout unannounced, especially if it's raining at o'dark thirty when they get up.
There may be some folks willing to give up a run or two in their own car to give that little beast a try as well... ;)
Steve Alexander

Post by Steve Alexander »

OK, thanks for the quick reply. if my driver can go Sunday, I will probably sign up for that day.
Sorry, I will not post on this topic any more.
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

We have a NASIOC Subiest asking a which class question for the ProSolo:
As for classing my car, its an 04 WRX on street tyres with the following mods:
Intake
Turbo Intake
Upgraded stock-location turbo (FP 68hta)
boost controller
custom tune
Larger intercooler
port and polished throttle body and intake manifold
TGV deletes
1000cc injectors
fuel pump
header
uppipe
downpipe
exhaust
struts
springs
sway bars (front and rear)
endlinks
roll center adjust kit (this is NOT an anti lift kit)
group N trans mount
stage 3 clutch
STi 6speed transmission (this is what is giving me the most trouble in figuring out my class)
Davin Swanson
Car#: 979

Post by Davin Swanson »

I'll take a wag. Looks like SM to me. That's the lowest level of preparation that allows replacement of the stock turbo. As for the tranny, 16.1.D says "Drivetrain and related components are unrestricted except for the following limitations." The following section doesn't mention transmission at all, so I assume that he can use any transmission that he wants.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Further, from our Suby driver trying to figure out his class for the ProSolo:
So looking through the SCCA rule book, it appears I would be in SM. I'm confused about one rule under SM though:

---Quote---
16.1 ALLOWED MODIFICATIONS
B. *Competitors may pick and choose between all Stock, Street Touring,
Street Prepared, and Street Modified category allowances when preparing
an SM car.* Apparent conflicts between inherited rule sets from
16.1.A shall not prohibit any specific inherited allowance. Allowances
inherited from 16.1.A may not incorporate SM-specific allowances.
Foreign spec parts may not be used to substitute for parts which are
required to remain stock.
---End Quote---
What does it mean when it says you must choose between all stock ST SP or SM when preparing for SM?

I also looked into FP and XP as well. Under prepared rules I found this rule regarding my 6speed swap from and 06 sti:

---Quote---
17.0.B. Specifications
The SCCA® shall publish specifications for each car specifically
classed in the Prepared Category section of Appendix A. These
specifications will at a minimum specify each vehicle’s allowed minimum
weight and maximum wheel sizes.

1. Equipment and/or specifications may be exchanged between different
years and models of a vehicle if:
a. the item is standard on the year/model from which it was taken,
and
b. the years/models are listed on the same line of Appendix A
(Prepared Classes). The updated/backdated part or the part
to which it is to be attached may not be altered, modified, machined
or otherwise changed to facilitate the updating/backdating
allowance unless the modification is specifically allowed by
these rules. Cars not listed in the Prepared Category sections
of Appendix A may not be updated/ backdated until approved
by the SEB and http://www.scca.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; published in the official SCCA®
publication.
---End Quote---
What does this mean for my 6 speed swap, is it legal? I'm having trouble finding the answer in Appendix A.
John Stimson
Club: PSCC
Car#: 124

Post by John Stimson »

The one questionable modification for SM is the roll center adjustment kit. If it changes the pickup points on the body, it's not legal in SM. If it modifies the control arm or the spindle, then it's okay.
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

John Stimson wrote:The one questionable modification for SM is the roll center adjustment kit. If it changes the pickup points on the body, it's not legal in SM. If it modifies the control arm or the spindle, then it's okay.
SM. The roll center adjustment kit affects lower ball joints.
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
Colby Zethraeus

Post by Colby Zethraeus »

I have a 2000 camaro z28 6 speed. I am a complete newb to auto cross but would like to get involved.
My car is set up more for straight line performance. It is completely street legal( has rear seats blinkers etc) the engine spun the reluctor wheel on the crank (Chevys timing) right now it is a stock block but supercharged and inter cooled, with headers cats and mufflers it puts out approx 500hp. I can reassemble the motor to be sc or I can make it naturally aspirated. I don't know what class I should enter where I can be competitive. There is no point in entering it a in a supercharged class and getting owned by everyone in the class because I can't turn and brake and do not have a huge racing budget. Regardless of which way I go with the engine I plan on upgrading at a minimum to cts v brembo's in the front, eibach springs and sway bars. Thanks in advance for any info.
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

As it sits CST (local class) is going to be your best bet. It's basically a very open class that requires street tires. My guess is your car is too far 'gone' to be reduced to a class that it'll be competitive in. It'd take you a few years to get your driving competitve as well.

So my basic suggestion is to run CST and run what ever equipment you like and want, but don't expect to be competitive. While you do this you'll learn to autox and how to make effective modifications/adjustments. During this time you can evaluate other cars and classes and in a couple years you'll probably be ready to pick up something more appropriate.

Don't take this as a deterrent. I'd wager at least 3/4ths the driver's here now started AutoXing in something equally mis-prepared.

Jay W

Colby Zethraeus wrote:I have a 2000 camaro z28 6 speed. I am a complete newb to auto cross but would like to get involved.
My car is set up more for straight line performance. It is completely street legal( has rear seats blinkers etc) the engine spun the reluctor wheel on the crank (Chevys timing) right now it is a stock block but supercharged and inter cooled, with headers cats and mufflers it puts out approx 500hp. I can reassemble the motor to be sc or I can make it naturally aspirated. I don't know what class I should enter where I can be competitive. There is no point in entering it a in a supercharged class and getting owned by everyone in the class because I can't turn and brake and do not have a huge racing budget. Regardless of which way I go with the engine I plan on upgrading at a minimum to cts v brembo's in the front, eibach springs and sway bars. Thanks in advance for any info.
Don Salyers
Club: No$
Car#: 42

Post by Don Salyers »

Colby, Jayson's right. But, another choice would be CSM, local class but you can use R-Comp tires. In my opinion street tires on a higher horsepower car is not much fun. I started with a 98 Mustang Cobra in FS bought some Falken's to run SK1----lasted 3 runs.

Since you have already modified the car, you should read the ESP rules.

http://www.scca.com/solo/content.cfm?cid=44517" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don
Colby Zethraeus

Post by Colby Zethraeus »

Thank you Jason and don I appreciate the fast response, and yes don I will check into that.
Dave Boles

Post by Dave Boles »

This Sunday will be my 1st time autocrossing in CalClub, I've been competing in San Diego and run in KM, I have noticed that your classing is a bit different, I signed up in Kart Mod, but should I have signed up in CPM or will they just put me in that class, I've noticed that in the registration page I'm by myself in KM, and there is another kart thats in CPM
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Dave Boles wrote:This Sunday will be my 1st time autocrossing in CalClub, I've been competing in San Diego and run in KM, I have noticed that your classing is a bit different, I signed up in Kart Mod, but should I have signed up in CPM or will they just put me in that class, I've noticed that in the registration page I'm by myself in KM, and there is another kart thats in CPM
Yes, we combine all Prepared and Modified vehicles into CPM due to the relatively small number currently competing. I've updated your classing on MotorsportReg. So in the future you pick CPM as your class and Kart Modified as the modifier/pax.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Jimmy Duong
Car#: 820

Post by Jimmy Duong »

I want to make some magnets for myself for next year and wondering what I need to make for the class I'll be running. Should it be ES SK2 or are the classes being changed next year to ES RTR? Also will be running in novice class so I believe I'll also need to make some NOV magnets too?
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Jimmy Duong wrote:I want to make some magnets for myself for next year and wondering what I need to make for the class I'll be running. Should it be ES SK2 or are the classes being changed next year to ES RTR? Also will be running in novice class so I believe I'll also need to make some NOV magnets too?
ES RTR NOV
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

KJ Christopher wrote:
Jimmy Duong wrote:I want to make some magnets for myself for next year and wondering what I need to make for the class I'll be running. Should it be ES SK2 or are the classes being changed next year to ES RTR? Also will be running in novice class so I believe I'll also need to make some NOV magnets too?
ES RTR NOV
No.
When registering online your "Class" is NOV and the "PAX" modifier will be ESK, the K adds the additional RT index for being on stocK tires. That's what I'd rather see on the car since that's what will be in the computer. No reason to have RTR on the car.
Davin Swanson
Car#: 979

Post by Davin Swanson »

For your first season I would recommend putting a roll of wide, color-contrasting (the neon green stuff works well!) painter's tape in your autocross kit for putting the NOV letters on your car. Yeah, it doesn't look as cool as printed magnets, but you will only be using NOV for one season.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Davin Swanson wrote:For your first season I would recommend putting a roll of wide, color-contrasting (the neon green stuff works well!) painter's tape in your autocross kit for putting the NOV letters on your car. Yeah, it doesn't look as cool as printed magnets, but you will only be using NOV for one season.

Painters tape is evil. }:)
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Rick Brown wrote:
KJ Christopher wrote:
ES RTR NOV
No.
When registering online your "Class" is NOV and the "PAX" modifier will be ESK, the K adds the additional RT index for being on stocK tires. That's what I'd rather see on the car since that's what will be in the computer. No reason to have RTR on the car.
I think the appropriate answer should coincide with the same labeling required for a national tour or nationals, plus NOV.........presumably more in line with what KJ suggested.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Jimmy Duong
Car#: 820

Post by Jimmy Duong »

I understand that my class and PAX is Novice and ESK when registering, but wanted to have the "correct" class letter designations on the car. I'm cutting/making the letters myself so it won't be too much trouble for me to cut/make a few extra letters if need be. Seems like I started a debate. So is ES RTR NOV correct?
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Chx the SCCA solo rule book on number and class letter rules, ie. height and width
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

Jimmy Duong wrote:I understand that my class and PAX is Novice and ESK when registering, but wanted to have the "correct" class letter designations on the car. I'm cutting/making the letters myself so it won't be too much trouble for me to cut/make a few extra letters if need be. Seems like I started a debate. So is ES RTR NOV correct?
You can certainly make RTR if you plan on running the ProSolo & Tour, but if you are running NOV locally, do not put RTR on the car. Separate classes. The Timing computer operator assumes what's on the car is correct if there is a conflict and will change the computer to match. While RTR could indicate that it would be ESK in NOV, it could also be that the car is used by multiple drivers in different classes.

So for local events it makes our life much easier if you use the convention that the software uses. NOV ESK, with the K separate so it's easy to do RTR ES for National events.

As Mako indicated, there are size rules too. Minimum 8" numbers with a 1.5" stroke (line width) and class letters 1/2 of that. Contrasting color to vehicle.
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Rick,

I'm having trouble following why we want to make the RTR/RTA/RTF class letters different for our local region than the national events. Seems confusing to me. How are you going to differentiate between the different classes in the system if you don't have the Rear/Front/AWD designation? If we have an Integra Type R or MS3 and a BMW 128i or 335i show up, they would both be DSK cars, but wouldn't be competing against each other (unless they were both Novices), as ITR and MS3 is RTF and the BMWs are RTR.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins