Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Mark DeShon
Car#: 113

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Post by Mark DeShon »

First post. New to SCCA, but I've run two PCA autocross'. I'm planning to run at Fontana Speedway on May 2nd, or 3rd. I dug through the SCCA classification guidelines as much as I could tolerate for one evening, and I basically gathered that my Porsche 914 will either be classed in Street Prepared, or Super Street Modified, even though I doubt I'm even pushing 100 hp. But anyways, I don't really care about who I'm placed against, but I ran across something that said that said all 'Prepared' cars shall have a 'suitable rollbar'. My car doesn't have a tubular roll bar, or cage. I'm wondering if the factory rollbar (it's a targa top) will be sufficient. Seems kinda silly to me, because it'd take some REAL talent to roll THAT thing over in a flat parking lot. Anyways, any help on the subject would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Mark D.
P.S. Sorry if this question was answered already. I didn't read the whole thread.
Giovanni Jaramillo
Club: PSCC

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Mark DeShon wrote:flat parking lot.
The lot at Cal Speedway where we run definitely is not flat. There are elevation changes in the north section. Nothing like say Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego region but definitely elevation. I'll let others answer your question regarding classification.

Oh and welcome to Cal Club Solo region.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Street Prepared is a lower classification than "Prepared".

I can't imagine rolling over a 914 without hitting a curb and there aren't curbs at the speedway lots. But we have rolled cars (trucks).

Welcome. As you see sometimes the classing isn't so favorable. But its still fun regardless or where you fit.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
David Barrish
Car#: 58

Post by David Barrish »

Mark,

Your 914 sounds like it will run in DSP. Bring the tires you run at the PCA events and you are set.

The Historic class runs in the afternoon on Sunday the 3rd. We are the group that includes the "old-school" cars that run as a class.

Morgan Trotter runs his 320i with our group. I will be at the event before 11:00 in my Green BMW '02 #58, running in FSP, stop by and I will help you through the registration process.

David Barrish
Mark DeShon
Car#: 113

Post by Mark DeShon »

Thanks, David. I'm still not sure which day I'm going, but if I'm there Sunday afternoon I'll definitely stop by. White, narrow body 914 #131. My car is really 'Old School' in form only. All the recent prep work is fairly modern. I'm doing a slow race prep, working towards road racing, hopefully, eventually in NASA Unlimiteds.
Steve, thanks for making the distinction. I don't really care where I'm classed, since I pretty much like to compete for TTOD anyways (never won it). I just wanted to make sure they'd let me run at all. Thanks for the help guys. I'm looking forward to it. I got the final tuning of the suspension done this weekend, I'll do the final tune up of the engine next weekend. I'm actually feeling ready this time! Cool!
Mark D.
David Barrish
Car#: 58

Post by David Barrish »

Mark,

The group holding the event will control who runs on Saturday. The open event is Sunday. As a driver new to our series please let us help, see you at the event.

David Barrish
Joel Payne
Car#: 311

Post by Joel Payne »

Class question... From the quick ref guide it looks like an engine swap from non-OEM manufacturer might land me in XP but I thought I'd confirm as I'm new to autocross and thought I might fall into CSP or a few more general cases.

Car:
1990 Mazda RX7
Heads/cam Chevy LS1 v8 engine swap\
Accusump
Factory Mazda calipers on 350z track ed. rotors
Tein coilovers
17" wheels w/ 235 RA1s (I know they're less ideal for short course but I have a lot to learn regardless so I'm going to just run 'em anyways)

Thanks,
Joel Payne
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Joel Payne wrote:Class question... From the quick ref guide it looks like an engine swap from non-OEM manufacturer might land me in XP but I thought I'd confirm as I'm new to autocross and thought I might fall into CSP or a few more general cases.

Car:
1990 Mazda RX7
Accusump
Tein coilovers
17" wheels w/ 235 RA1s (I know they're less ideal for short course but I have a lot to learn regardless so I'm going to just run 'em anyways)

Thanks,
Joel Payne
Yup, that's XP.
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Joel Payne wrote:1990 Mazda RX7
Heads/cam Chevy LS1 v8 engine swap
You dropped an LS1 in an RX-7? Wheee haw!
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Jamie Lessie

Post by Jamie Lessie »

Joel Payne wrote:Class question... From the quick ref guide it looks like an engine swap from non-OEM manufacturer might land me in XP but I thought I'd confirm as I'm new to autocross and thought I might fall into CSP or a few more general cases.

Car:
1990 Mazda RX7
Accusump
Tein coilovers

Thanks,
Joel Payne
A V8 in an Rx-7?!? heresy!

haha jkjk I have a friend who has one too :D

I am wondering if there is any way I can be competitive in the sport of autocross. My car is stock except for an intake, downpipe, coilovers and a mild street port/polish (which happens to put me in a class where I can't compete)

It makes me kinda sad. :cry: I should have kept my yellow FD and ran in a stock class.

Isn't there a So-Cal class for street-legal/CA registered cars where you have to run on street tires? Any others? Novice? Ladies? etc
http://www.freewebs.com/rotaryinfo/bewa ... rotary.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Jamie, check out California Street Touring (CST). It's new for '09 and it's basically our "run what you brung" class on 140+ rated street tires.

Your car will fit perfectly there.

Mike
Giovanni Jaramillo

Jamie Lessie wrote:My car is stock except for an intake, downpipe, coilovers and a mild street port/polish (which happens to put me in a class where I can't compete)
It's funny hearing this from people (usually new people). No offense Jamie just making an observation to your comment but it's not stock (i.e. showroom stock). It's definitely modified. A truly stock car (not SCCA Stock rules) is one you got off the showroom and did not touch a thing. But as Mike mentioned CST is the perfect fit for your class as it's a Cal Club region-only class and newly created as our other "run what ya brung" class (CSM) involves R-Comp tires.
Jamie Lessie

Post by Jamie Lessie »

Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:
Jamie Lessie wrote:My car is stock except for an intake, downpipe, coilovers and a mild street port/polish (which happens to put me in a class where I can't compete)
It's funny hearing this from people (usually new people). No offense Jamie just making an observation to your comment but it's not stock (i.e. showroom stock). It's definitely modified. A truly stock car (not SCCA Stock rules) is one you got off the showroom and did not touch a thing. But as Mike mentioned CST is the perfect fit for your class as it's a Cal Club region-only class and newly created as our other "run what ya brung" class (CSM) involves R-Comp tires.
I would have put the stock equipment back on to run it as the "mods" it has are simply bolt-ons (minus the ported engine) I have everything in my garage, even have a set of stock wheels with the stock size tires. :roll: If I had only known when I had got that engine built.
http://www.freewebs.com/rotaryinfo/bewa ... rotary.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Giovanni Jaramillo

Jamie Lessie wrote:If I had only known when I had got that engine built.
Know EXACTLY how you feel. When I first started (E36 BMW M3), all I had on was the Euro M3 floating rotors on the front and the X-brace underneath. At the time there was no class STU where the E36 can now play in with street tires, thus it was B-Stock. And since my car was bone stock when i bought it, I was into "mods" and just put on 2 common mods by BMW owners. The Euro floating rotors, and the X-brace which comes on the Lightweight M3 stock and convertible M3s. I was immediately in BSP with the floating rotors but the X-brace put me in SM!!!! So I took it off, and stayed in BSP. Again this happens when new people join the sport with a car that they modded for fun...then the rule book shows them that they're thrown into the deep end of the pool.
Last edited by Giovanni Jaramillo on Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Jamie Lessie wrote:
I love this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxsY4lEGRBI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Jamie Lessie

Post by Jamie Lessie »

KJ Christopher wrote:
Jamie Lessie wrote:
I love this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxsY4lEGRBI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OMG I was laughing so hard! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jamie Lessie

Post by Jamie Lessie »

KJ, that made my day! :lol:
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

KJ Christopher wrote:
The original movie was AWESOME ("Downfall")! The seriousness of the film makes all the parodies on YouTube that much funnier. 8-)
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

KJ Christopher wrote:
Jamie Lessie wrote: A V8 in an Rx-7?!? heresy!
ROTFLMAO :lol:

I've seen that clip with a bunch of other parody subtitles, but this was by far the funniest. Rotards...I love it!
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Jamie-

Your mods aren't that big of deal. If you car was stock legal, it probably wouldn't be that competitive anyway. And if it could be you'd probably need the lightest weight expensive wheels and fresh Hoosiers and a lightweight exhaust and uber shocks to be there. Then of course a non-streetable alignment.

You've made you car more enjoyable for the street and pleasure drives and a fun albeit non-competitive autox toy. Don't have any regrets.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Joel Payne
Car#: 311

Post by Joel Payne »

Thanks for the compliments y'all. One of the guys from http://www.v8rx7forum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; put that awesome Hilter video together. We like to have some fun with our rotory breatheren however I personally think a fast car is a fast car and how you get there involves a lot of personal compromises.

I can definitely say that V8 in an RX7 is crazy fun. However, my guess is that I'm about to feel Jamie's pain and understand what it means have built an extremely non-competitive vehicle. Any chance I'd be eligible for CST or CSM? It's not like it really matters because I'll just be trying to improve myself anyways. Looking forward to meeting whoever's coming out to the GRA practice day Saturday. Looks like I'll get to see how much of a heretic the vette guys think I am. 8-)
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Joel Payne wrote:I can definitely say that V8 in an RX7 is crazy fun. However, my guess is that I'm about to feel Jamie's pain and understand what it means have built an extremely non-competitive vehicle. Any chance I'd be eligible for CST or CSM? It's not like it really matters because I'll just be trying to improve myself anyways.
That's the right attitude: have fun and learn to drive first. At some point down the road, if the nut behind the wheel isn't the limiting factor in your times, you can make the decision whether you want to take the steps necessary to be competitive.

Over the last year one thing I've figured out is if you want to be competitive--in any class--you should start with the rules/prep allowances for the class you're shooting for first, then identify a car that has a better chance of being successful and prep it. Unless, of course, you're willing to sacrifice all the mods you've already done and re-purchase new class-legal ones. Even then, though, some cars are just not going to cut it no matter what you do to them. My car is fun to drive (increasingly less so, however) and I've learned a lot over the last year, but it's completely uncompetitive and there's really nothing I could do to make it a front runner.
==============
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Joel Payne wrote: Any chance I'd be eligible for CST or CSM?
Yeah, you could run CST with some street tires (+140 Treadwear), or CSM with DOT-R compound tires.
I definitely want to check out that beast. :thumbup:

Edit: Saw that you use RA1 tires, they are considered DOT-R compound so you can run CSM.
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

Kurt Rahn wrote:Even then, though, some cars are just not going to cut it no matter what you do to them.
Where there's a will, there's a way, Kurt :gpower:
Will Kalman
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

Quoc-Viet Dang wrote:Where there's a will, there's a way
Ta-Da! 8-)