Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Garrett Johnsen

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Post by Garrett Johnsen »

Hello,

Sunday, July 9th will be my first ever autocross event. I have a 99' Mazda Miata. Car is mostly stock except it has coilovers, wheels, and a roll bar. It currently has garbage all season tires on it. What class should I be running in? Thank you!
Ryan Doherty

Post by Ryan Doherty »

Hello!

I have a street legal registered 1984 Corvette with stock suspension, numbers matching engine bored to 355 and Contiental Extreme Contact tires. The curveball is an exceptionally large weight reduction - the body has been removed and the car is caged. I would appreciate understanding what class this fits into and if no class works, could I still attend practice days?

Thanks,
Ryan
Attachments
1984 Corvette Cage.jpg
1984 Corvette Cage.jpg (61.88 KiB) Viewed 69348 times
Douglas Kerr

Post by Douglas Kerr »

Michael Palero wrote:Post your Car Classing questions here! We'll class your car!
Hello. I am new to autocross, and I can't find an answer to my car class. I have a Fiat 500e. I note that the base Fiat 500 is excluded due to stability issues. The 500e is an electric vehicle with a 600+ pound battery pack a foot above the ground. The 500e certainly is not a base 500. But, then again, it is not a 500 Abarth, which is allowed under the SCCA rules. So we have a conundrum given that the lowest 500 is excluded, but the fast Abarth is allowed.

As Car & Driver in a comparison of electric cars notes, "The 500e was quickest through the slalom thanks to its racier Firestone tires, fast steering, and tight roll control." There is no stability issue with the 500e given the ballast of a 600 lb battery.

Please let me know if the Fiat 500e is allowed at the event, and what class it may be placed, in addition to novice.

Thanks, Doug
Eric Wong

Post by Eric Wong »

Hello, I'm also new to autocross and have a new 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV LT.

It has a 900+ lb battery on the floor and the lead designer is an SCCA racer.

It looks like it's already done autocrossing in Michigan:
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/opinio ... 102600828/

Mine is nearly stock, except I replaced both front 215/50 R17 tires after damaging one on a pothole and upsized to 225/50 R17 (still using the OE wheel) to reduce the probability of further curb/pothole damage.
Eric Wong

Post by Eric Wong »

Answering my own question on the Bolt EV and Douglas Kerr's on the 500e, I guess we're in EL (Electric Stock):
http://solo2.com/supp_regs/SCCA_Cal_Clu ... s_2013.pdf
And I guess we can both enter the Novice class, too. I'm very likely to sign up and show up for my first autocross in Irvine this Saturday.
Manny Parra

Post by Manny Parra »

I'm totally new to auto crossing and need help classifying my car, I have a 2016 subaru Sti. I am currently running coilover, rear control arms, and aftermarket rear sway bar with wider wheels. The rest are the stock components.

What should I chose when signing up for the practice day?
David Watson

Post by David Watson »

Hi,

I am looking to get started in So. Cal, Fontana and El Toro. My car is currently;

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Base (V6)
Added; tubular subframe connectors and shock tower brace
poly trans mount
4th Gen Camaro SS wheels; 17" x 9.5" with 275/40/17 tires
Stock sway bars from a same year Z28 Camaro (V8)
EBC Yellow and Hawk HP5 brake pads

I am looking to make the following upgrades in the near future;
New boxed rear control arms with rubber or poly bushings
adjustable tubular panhard bar with one steel and one poly bushing
~1" drop springs of significantly greater rate
adjustable performance dampers

Thanks for your attention, hope to see you in Fontana Oct. 22.
1999 Mazda Miata, Lewis Hamilton, Ron Fellows, David Coulthard, Jacques Villeneuve, Laguna Seca, Spa Francorchamps, Racetrack of the Americas, Long Beach Grand Prix since 1992, Circuit De Gilles Villeneuve 98 -99, VARA Willow Springs BF Goodrich :crazy:
Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Douglas Kerr wrote:Please let me know if the Fiat 500e is allowed at the event, and what class it may be placed, in addition to novice. Thanks, Doug
Your argument makes sense regarding the lower center of gravity, unfortunately the Fiat 500 (non Arbath) is excluded.

Back to the validity of your argument, being the the center of gravity is lower than the 500, I would suggest contacting the National office (Doug Gill), and presenting your case.

Your other option is STF... but you would need to demonstrate you have upgraded the suspension to compensate... such as coilovers, and reduced ride height.
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Eric Wong wrote:Hello, I'm also new to autocross and have a new 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV LT.
Link to the Bolt running an event in Detriot aside, the Bolt has been added to the rollover exclusion list in the July 2017 Fastrack

https://www.scca.com/downloads/22596-17 ... o/download

#21981 Classification?
Per the SAC, the Chevy Bolt does not meet the rollover requirements in 3.1.a and therefore is not eligible for Solo competition.

Craig
Eric Wong

Post by Eric Wong »

Craig Naylor wrote: Link to the Bolt running an event in Detriot aside, the Bolt has been added to the rollover exclusion list in the July 2017 Fastrack

https://www.scca.com/downloads/22596-17 ... o/download

#21981 Classification?
Per the SAC, the Chevy Bolt does not meet the rollover requirements in 3.1.a and therefore is not eligible for Solo competition.
Shucks. Per Chevy http://www.chevrolet.com/byo-vc/client/ ... One=388584

The track width is 59.1", and the height is 62.9", which makes it 1.064:1, worse than the 1:1 recommended in 3.1.a:
https://dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.net/us ... s-1-12.pdf

However, did the SCCA take the low center of gravity into account? I expect the Static Stability Factor (SSF) to be better than 1.30 due to the 949 lb. battery on the floor of a 3580 lb. vehicle. I haven't calculated the center of gravity height on the Bolt since it is difficult. I lack scales and solid shock replacements: http://www.longacreracing.com/technical ... item=42586

For what it's worth, every review of the Bolt seems to mention it's low center of gravity: https://www.google.com/search?q=Chevy+B ... f+gravity"

Anyways I'm a total newbie, haven't joined the SCCA yet and the Bolt is my only car, so it's a chicken-and-egg problem. Can I appeal as a non-member?
Thanks.

Anyways, I've already made plans to be a spectator this Saturday and paid $60 for Sunday; I'll see about getting a refund if an appeal can't be made for the Bolt.
Kyle Rahill

Post by Kyle Rahill »

Michael Palero wrote:Post your Car Classing questions here! We'll class your car!

Link to Rulebook: SCCA rules
I have a four cylinder 1998 toyota camry. As I understand the rules I am in "street". However, I do not understand what the letters are for i.e. A Street, B Street.
Reed Gibson
Current CSCC Overall Champion

Post by Reed Gibson »

Kyle Rahill wrote:

Link to Rulebook: SCCA rules
I have a four cylinder 1998 toyota camry. As I understand the rules I am in "street". However, I do not understand what the letters are for i.e. A Street, B Street.
Appendix A would be what you're looking for. A quick search for Camry shows that you would be in H-street.
Reed Gibson

Post by Reed Gibson »

David Watson wrote:Hi,

I am looking to get started in So. Cal, Fontana and El Toro. My car is currently;

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Base (V6)
Added; tubular subframe connectors and shock tower brace
poly trans mount
4th Gen Camaro SS wheels; 17" x 9.5" with 275/40/17 tires
Stock sway bars from a same year Z28 Camaro (V8)
EBC Yellow and Hawk HP5 brake pads

I am looking to make the following upgrades in the near future;
New boxed rear control arms with rubber or poly bushings
adjustable tubular panhard bar with one steel and one poly bushing
~1" drop springs of significantly greater rate
adjustable performance dampers

Thanks for your attention, hope to see you in Fontana Oct. 22.
It looks like some of your mods (V8 swap parts) may bump you out of running in F-Street. I'd recommend reading through the rules and seeing what class you'd be most competitive in. Luckily for muscle cars you have the option of running in one of the Classic American Muscle (CAM) classes where the rules are much more open. Street Touring Pony may also work...
David Watson

Post by David Watson »

Hi,

the rulebook seems to preclude suspension components with spherical joints for most classes, are they permissable in CAM- C?

Thanks.
1999 Mazda Miata, Lewis Hamilton, Ron Fellows, David Coulthard, Jacques Villeneuve, Laguna Seca, Spa Francorchamps, Racetrack of the Americas, Long Beach Grand Prix since 1992, Circuit De Gilles Villeneuve 98 -99, VARA Willow Springs BF Goodrich :crazy:
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

David Watson wrote:Hi,

the rulebook seems to preclude suspension components with spherical joints for most classes, are they permissable in CAM- C?

Thanks.
From the SCCA Solo Rules, Appendix B - CAM:
"Brake, Suspension, and Steering System Allowances
• Components, lines, hoses, and method of attachment are unrestricted."
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Dan Duran

Post by Dan Duran »

Can you guys help me? The past few sundays I've raced under CST, but I feel I maybe should be under STU? What do you guys think?

2015 STI
Coilovers
Front strut bar
9.5 wide wheels
Tbe
Re71r's
Accessport

Please help as I'm trying to finalize registration for this weekend. Thanks!
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

Dan Duran wrote:Can you guys help me? The past few sundays I've raced under CST, but I feel I maybe should be under STU? What do you guys think?

2015 STI
Coilovers
Front strut bar
9.5 wide wheels
Tbe
Re71r's
Accessport

FYI for everyone, note that you can always edit your registration after you register online. If you are unsure about classing or even what car you will drive, go ahead and register by Saturday night the week before the event to get the early discount, then update your info if necessary. This can be done up to midnight Friday prior to the event.
Dan Duran

Post by Dan Duran »

Rick Brown wrote:
Dan Duran wrote:Can you guys help me? The past few sundays I've raced under CST, but I feel I maybe should be under STU? What do you guys think?

2015 STI
Coilovers
Front strut bar
9.5 wide wheels
Tbe
Re71r's
Accessport

FYI for everyone, note that you can always edit your registration after you register online. If you are unsure about classing or even what car you will drive, go ahead and register by Saturday night the week before the event to get the early discount, then update your info if necessary. This can be done up to midnight Friday prior to the event.

Hey Rick. That's great info, I didn't know so that helps me out. Any Input on classing question with my current mods? Thanks!
Reed Gibson

Post by Reed Gibson »

Dan Duran wrote:
Rick Brown wrote:

2015 STI
Coilovers
Front strut bar
9.5 wide wheels
Tbe
Re71r's
Accessport

Hey Rick. That's great info, I didn't know so that helps me out. Any Input on classing question with my current mods? Thanks!

Take a look at the following link under Street Touring https://www.scca.com/pages/solo-cars-and-rules. Your car seems to be STU but it won't be hard to read through and double check. See you out there!
Edgar Mendoza

Post by Edgar Mendoza »

New to AutoX, I just want to make sure I am supposed to be in the STR class?
I have a 2016 miata, lowered on springs, with 17x9 wheels and 245/40/17 toyo proxes R1R.

Thanks guys,
Edgar
Reed Gibson

Post by Reed Gibson »

Edgar Mendoza wrote:New to AutoX, I just want to make sure I am supposed to be in the STR class?
I have a 2016 miata, lowered on springs, with 17x9 wheels and 245/40/17 toyo proxes R1R.

Thanks guys,
Edgar
Yes
Gregg Hoyle

Post by Gregg Hoyle »

First of all....thanks for your help!

I have a 1971 Mini Cooper
Engine changed to a larger but factory available for that year Mini.
Exhaust Header
Added wheel flares
Stock size wheels with offset to increase tire footprint width slightly
Yokohama A008 tires
Interior stripped except for (2) front seats
4 point Roll bar (2 mid points, 2 rear points)
Adjustable Coil spring replacement with ride height adjustment in place of rubber cone suspension
Front disc brakes replacing drum brakes
Rear adjustable sway bar

I think that the above would put me in Street Prepared

I want to add camber caster to the front by using negative caster arms and adjustable tie rods for caster/toe in adjustment. Would this addition put me in Street Modified?
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 30

Post by Anthony P. »

Gregg Hoyle wrote:First of all....thanks for your help!

Exhaust Header
Added wheel flares
Yokohama A008 tires
Adjustable Coil spring replacement with ride height adjustment in place of rubber cone suspension
Rear adjustable sway bar

I want to add camber caster to the front by using negative caster arms and adjustable tie rods for caster/toe in adjustment. Would this addition put me in Street Modified?
Nationally because of the gutted interior that would put you in at least E-Prepared.
Locally you could run CST- if you put on 140 tw tires or CSM if you would like to run your current tires.
Gregg Hoyle

Post by Gregg Hoyle »

Anthony Porta wrote:

Exhaust Header
Added wheel flares
Yokohama A008 tires
Rear adjustable sway bar

Nationally because of the gutted interior that would put you in at least E-Prepared.
Locally you could run CST- if you put on 140 tw tires or CSM if you would like to run your current tires.
Thanks Anthony, if I add a basic interior will that put me back into Street Prepared?
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

Gregg Hoyle wrote:
Anthony Porta wrote:

Exhaust Header
Added wheel flares
Yokohama A008 tires
Rear adjustable sway bar

Thanks Anthony, if I add a basic interior will that put me back into Street Prepared?
Interior should be stock in Street Prepared, except for seats, seatbelts and steering wheel. Also, if you have a roll bar, it must meet these specifications:
https://dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.net/us ... 1484693531