Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Mark Blucker

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Post by Mark Blucker »

I'm new to solo 2 and need help classifying my street legal dune buggy. Originally a 50's beetle, it was cut in half and shortened 13" in 1963 and re-registered as Assembled (kit car?). Fiberglass body, 6 point cage, 5 point belts. 2 seater
It has a 1776cc VW engine with a counter weighted crank,110 cam, big valve ported heads and dual Weber 40's.
It also has 9" wide rear wheels
I hope to run it at El Toro in late March.
Any help would be appreciated.
Mark B
Aaron Goldsmith
Club: CASOC
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Do you mean the Pro Solo in March?

Well.. according to Marshall dune buggies are specifically allowed in B Mod..
Mark Blucker

Post by Mark Blucker »

Gene- Thanks for the reply. B Modified
And yes, I was referring to the the pro solo 3-28 and 3-29 at El Toro.
Mark
Aaron Goldsmith

Mark Blucker wrote:Gene- Thanks for the reply. B Modified
And yes, I was referring to the the pro solo 3-28 and 3-29 at El Toro.
Mark
It's a National level event so tech and classing is going to be strict at that one, so you'll need to make sure you read the rule book first and are in compliance with the Bmod rules.
http://cms.scca.com/documents/Solo_Rule ... _Rules.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since it's a pro solo, you'll also want to read the supplemental Pro Solo rules.
http://cms.scca.com/documents/Solo%20Ru ... oRules.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You also need a Rule Book (which they sell there at tech) and to be a full SCCA member to compete at National events like the SD National Tour and El Toro Pro Solo.
John Brusky

Newbie Classing Question (Trihawk!)

Post by John Brusky »

Hello,

I have a 1985 Trihawk (similar to a Morgan 3-wheeler). My father did SCCA autocross events in the early 1980's with this vehicle. It is unmodified. Stats: 1350 lbs, 1299 cc Citroen GSA engine (naturally aspirated), 64 bhp, street tires. It has seats, seatbelts, a-pillar and rollbar. I don't think anyone has raced one in a long time. I appreciate your help classing this and any advice on how to get started (autocross). I live in Orange County, Ca. Thank you very much!

John

Photo of a Trihawk:
http://pages.zoom.co.uk/elvis/trihawk.jpg
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

3 wheels vehicles are not legal in any class.
Aaron Goldsmith

Re: Newbie Classing Question (Trihawk!)

John Brusky wrote:Hello,

I have a 1985 Trihawk (similar to a Morgan 3-wheeler). My father did SCCA autocross events in the early 1980's with this vehicle. It is unmodified. Stats: 1350 lbs, 1299 cc Citroen GSA engine (naturally aspirated), 64 bhp, street tires. It has seats, seatbelts, a-pillar and rollbar. I don't think anyone has raced one in a long time. I appreciate your help classing this and any advice on how to get started (autocross). I live in Orange County, Ca. Thank you very much!

John

Photo of a Trihawk:
http://pages.zoom.co.uk/elvis/trihawk.jpg
CST or CSM the run what you brung classes is about it i'd think.
John Brusky

Post by John Brusky »

Thanks for the quick reply,

Should I just show up and try for CSM, or is there somebody I should clear it with first?
Thanks,

John

Jeff Nucum

Post by Jeff Nucum »

sample run groups for prosolo:
Group 1 FJA, FJB, HS, GS, FS, ES, STS2
Group 2 L2, DS, BI-1
Group 3 CS, BS, AS
Group 4 SS, STS
Group 5 STX, FSP, ESP, DSP
Group 6 CSP, BSP, L1, BI-2
Group 7 ASP, SM, SM2, Prepared Index Class (XP and CP thru GP)
Group 8 STU, Modified (AM thru FM), F125

i noticed SST wasn't there since i'm guessing its a local class. what would i place into for prosolo?
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

No SST, CST, or CSM at the tours or Pros.

Jeff, you'd be CSP.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

John Brusky wrote:Thanks for the quick reply,

Should I just show up and try for CSM, or is there somebody I should clear it with first?
Thanks,

John
Nothing to clear, as posted before, you can not run it in any class at an SCCA event. There is no class that gives an allowance for less than four wheels.

12.1 AUTOMOBILE (CAR)
A self-propelled land vehicle, running on at least four wheels, not in
a line, which must be in contact with the ground when at rest.
Will Kalman
Club: PSCC
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:Nothing to clear, as posted before, you can not run it in any class at an SCCA event. There is no class that gives an allowance for less than four wheels.

12.1 AUTOMOBILE (CAR)
A self-propelled land vehicle, running on at least four wheels, not in
a line, which must be in contact with the ground when at rest.
Why are you guy misleading him about classing when he's asking about eligibility? Otherwise, he may bring it out for a practice, where there are no classes. Or try to run Time Only on a Sunday.

John, sorry to inform you that the SCCA rules do not allow vehicles with less than four wheels to participate.
Jason Isley BS RX8

Will Kalman wrote:Why are you guy misleading him about classing when he's asking about eligibility? Otherwise, he may bring it out for a practice, where there are no classes. Or try to run Time Only on a Sunday.

John, sorry to inform you that the SCCA rules do not allow vehicles with less than four wheels to participate.
Will, he asked what class it goes in.
What makes you think a practice or time onlys are a free for all and SCCA rules do not apply? Do you not have a SSS on hand for those events? I am not sure what kind of silly point you are trying to make, when it is clear you get the fact that the car can not run at any SCCA event.
Last edited by Jason Isley BS RX8 on Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Puertas
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

John, your dad autocrossed his Trihawk locally before we switched to SCCA rules.

I remember watching it run at Cypress college. I also remember visiting the Trihawk shop/showroom down in Dana Point.

Come on out to an event! It would be fun to see it, and I'm sure we could find someone to give you a ride around the course in their car.
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:
Will Kalman wrote:Why are you guy misleading him about classing when he's asking about eligibility? Otherwise, he may bring it out for a practice, where there are no classes. Or try to run Time Only on a Sunday.

Will, he asked what class it goes in.
What makes you think a practice or time onlys are a free for all and SCCA rules do not apply? Do you not have a SSS on hand for those events? I am not sure what kind of silly point you are trying to make, when it is clear you get the fact that the car can not run at any SCCA event.
Jason, you misread what Will wrote. Re-read it. He clearly says the vehicle isn't allowed to run. As a writer and editor, you need to focus. :)
Vincent Chang

Post by Vincent Chang »

Anyone knows where a stock Smart car might be classed? HS?
Jason Isley BS RX8

Vincent Chang wrote:Anyone knows where a stock Smart car might be classed? HS?
None, the SSF factor (pg 253-254 of the Solo rules) keeps it out. There may have even been a past FasTrack on that one.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:
Vincent Chang wrote:Anyone knows where a stock Smart car might be classed? HS?
None, the SSF factor (pg 253-254 of the Solo rules) keeps it out. There may have even been a past FasTrack on that one.
In stock class....
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
John Brusky

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here! (Trihawk)

Post by John Brusky »

Thanks for the info. Sorry to hear that I can't participate. I remember riding shotgun with my father at local autocross events and at a large event at Lone Pine. Trihawk hired a professional driver (Lance Stewart) who I understand posted some pretty good times in the Trihawk. By today's standards it is pretty slow and I imagine not very competitive. I was hoping to challenge myself and my vehicle in a safe environment (I am not so much interested in competing against others yet). If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear your suggestions (practice events, non-timed events, etc?) I am not familiar with other options I might be allowed to participate in, SCCA or otherwise. Please don't tell me to buy a four-wheeler, that's not the point :-)

Sincerely,

John
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

John-

There are some marquee clubs and also speedventures that occasionally put on events. They are not as regular or as structured as we are. I can't say they will let you run, but you should try contacting them. That would be your best shot. They have different insurance and sanctions and almost always fewer rules than our Taliban style competition. :)
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
John Brusky

Post by John Brusky »

Thank you all very much. It would be great if SCCA had a non-competitive class with relaxed rules for oddballs like me. Morgan 3-wheelers have a 70+ year history of racing. It is a shame to exclude this class of vehicle. I have posted a query to NASA-x. I have never had a ticket, but it is only a matter of time unless I find some place to knock over some cones! ;) I won't check the newsgroup much longer, but if anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate an email anytime in the future. Thanks again.

Sincerely,

John

Aaron Goldsmith

John Brusky wrote:Thank you all very much. It would be great if SCCA had a non-competitive class with relaxed rules for oddballs like me. Morgan 3-wheelers have a 70+ year history of racing. It is a shame to exclude this class of vehicle. I have posted a query to NASA-x. I have never had a ticket, but it is only a matter of time unless I find some place to knock over some cones! ;) I won't check the newsgroup much longer, but if anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate an email anytime in the future. Thanks again.

Sincerely,

John
For any future folks wondering about this, we have a class with pretty much no prep rules (CSM). The insurance carriers for the SCCA have a few that supersede any classing though.
Kirk Blair

Post by Kirk Blair »

Hi,
I have a lotus 7 replica type.... it has a stock Honda S2000 motor (air filter housing & exhaust are not stock) and Falkin 615 tires. Not sure what other info is needed..
Attachments
mine at racetrack.jpg
mine at racetrack.jpg (187.19 KiB) Viewed 176577 times
Michael Palero
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 18

Post by Michael Palero »

Kirk Blair wrote:Hi,
I have a lotus 7 replica type.... it has a stock Honda S2000 motor (air filter housing & exhaust are not stock) and Falkin 615 tires. Not sure what other info is needed..
It can run in X-Prepared (XP) or California Street Modified (CSM) on race tires, or California Street Touring (CST) on your Falken street tires.
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Kirk Blair wrote:Hi,
That looks like a fun car!
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.