Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 30

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Post by Anthony P. »

Bill Martin wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:32 pm You sure about that?
Could be FS, I guess, depends what level performance pack n such.
Earl Merz
Club: No$
Car#: 40

Post by Earl Merz »

Mustang EcoBoost is in D-Street
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE with Nav (need it to find my way around the course)
Anthony P.

Post by Anthony P. »

Earl Merz wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:08 am Mustang EcoBoost is in D-Street
oops, yes ECOBOOST, missed that lol.
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

Maybe I missed it but I don't see an Ecoboost Performance Package Mustang listed. The base car is DS, but in Mustang and Camaro lines, the "track" option cars are typically classed higher than base model. An exception is the 1LE Turbo4 Camaro, but that exception is specifically listed in the rules. Not seeing the same exception for a Mustang Ecoboost Performance Package called out. So I don't know. But it might be interesting. I'm told the Ecoboost PP is a 4.5second 0 to 60 car with 9.5 wheels. And autocross was one of the design priorities.
Emon Fazlollahi

Post by Emon Fazlollahi »

Hi I need help to class my car. I got a 2016 mustang gt with headers, catback exhaust, engine time, eibach springs, and wider rims and tires
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Hi Emon.

The easy options for you are a local class we call CST (California Street Touring) and CAM C (Classic American Muscle Contemporary.)

CST is basically any street-licenseable car on 200 or greater treadwear tires. It is frequently our most popular class.

CAM C is a national class, and you can read about it here: https://dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.net/us ... 1574804058

Please let us know if you have any other questions.
Kyle O'Rourke
Car#: 860

Post by Kyle O'Rourke »

Hey, so...is the Model 3 Performance now in SS? Not sure I understand the last FastTrack. Looks like it says it's moved to SS but at the beginning, it mentions about new rules applying to 2021?

Thanks!
Marshall Grice
Club: CASOC
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

It is in SS effective immediately.
Kyle O'Rourke
Car#: 860

Post by Kyle O'Rourke »

Marshall Grice wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:56 am It is in SS effective immediately.
Alrighty then. Time for CST!
Travis Maggini

Post by Travis Maggini »

Wow classing gets complicated! I’ve done 2 autocrosses now and want to start getting a little more serious. Looking to eventually be competitive but I know my build is in the horrible in between stages where I’m bumped into a high class that I can’t compete in. But I’m still very confused...or I have it right and I’m thinking too hard....Please help me haha

Run down of my car:
01 MR2 Spyder

1ZZ with built internals (original motor with lower compression)
Euro 6-Speed with LSD (factory option in Europe)
Gutted pre-cats with factory cat and HKS muffler
Factory computer and intake

Coilovers with camber plates in front
Hard dog roll bar
TRD front swaybar, factory rear
Every adjustable arm in rear with spherical bushings

Factory wheels with 320 TW tires

Gutted soft top but carpeted interior
One Bride seat, one OEM, factory 3 point harness

OK so it seems to me that because of my suspension or just my emissions system alone I am straight into CSP? If so I know I will not be competitive at all. Is there a lower class I can fit into without much compromise?
Also, there is the new class XS-B that I would fit into where I wouldn’t have to invest in slicks but, again, not going to be competitive in. My other concern with XSB is that it will not be awarded any PS points or awards. Does this mean that I don’t get any points at all? Seems like a waste to run in XSB if I have nothing to show for it? I also am not too familiar with how this point system works....

Car was built for a turbo (thus the low compression) but ran out of money for the turbo part and never got around to it. So now I’m running a low comp motor with really long gears so it’s awkward. Once the turbo is on I plan on making around 300 hp and hoping that combined with wider/stickier tires will make me somewhat competitive in CSP? Not even looking for top 20. Just looking to have some friendly competition.

So am I correct in my assessment of the classes or is there something I’ve missed? Thanks in advance, sorry such a long post.
Travis Maggini

Post by Travis Maggini »

Just to add to my sea of words here...just now reading about the CST class. Being described as a catch-all class but I can’t seem to find any mention of the regulations for that class anywhere. Can someone point me towards it? Although it seems XS-B is likely the class I should be in given my lack of experience.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

No internal engine mods in SP. CST is a Regional class so it's described in our local Supp Regs:
CALIFORNIA STREET TOURING (CST):
Vehicles eligible for CST must comply with the rules of CSM, with the exception that all of the
tires mounted on the car must have a TREADWEAR number of 200 or higher molded by the
manufacturer on the sidewall.

CALIFORNIA STREET MODIFIED (CSM):
Vehicles eligible for CSM must be capable of being licensed for street use in California, shall be
run on DOT approved tires, and must meet all SCCA Solo Safety requirements.

So essentially there are no rules, lol. CSM was our original catch all class, CST was added when using real street tires started becoming popular. CST has become very popular, no one has built a car to the limits. We may be replacing CSM/CST with the X classes, it's under discussion.

There may be some other class you fit in, but that many mods hurts my head too much to figure it out! I'll leave that to someone else. ;-)
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Travis Maggini

Post by Travis Maggini »

Woah so I can’t even run in a prepared class!? Geeze I got into this game way too late haha. Thanks for the quick reply.

I know it’s in the regional regulations but I can’t seem to find them. Does anyone have a link to them?

And so now I’m still wondering what classes I fit into besides XSB and apparently CST or CSM. Obviously between the two CST is the better choice because of my current tires. But are there no national classes I could get into after dabbling in regional with a fully built motor?
Robert Puertas
Club: PSCC
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

The non-US transmission is the bigger issue, I think.
Seems like the car would be legal for SSM. Of course, anybody running there competitively would be running Hoosiers...
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director
Club: CASOC
Car#: 436

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

Travis Maggini wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:53 am I know it’s in the regional regulations but I can’t seem to find them. Does anyone have a link to them?
http://solo2.com

Click on Newcomers, Click on Supplementary Regulations
SCCA Certifications: Solo Safety Steward, Flagging and Communications
http://CorvetteNews.com/
Anthony P.

Post by Anthony P. »

Yeah, welcome to autocross! Many people have started with off the wall builds or initial mods that put them in a way higher class. My first mod was an intake that put my otherwise street class car into B-Street Prepared. So, for many years I competed in our local class CST as I made it faster and built it for BSP. XB/XA is a new supplemental class for the SCCA, so new in fact that it won't be incorporated locally until next year although it is available the the ProSolos and National Tours.

If you are looking to be competitive in the mean time while you build you car, there are often available seats in competitive cars for national events. Usually a bit of money, like-ability and trust can earn a co-drive with another person in their car for national events.
Travis Maggini

Post by Travis Maggini »

Yah not looking to drive anyone else’s car competitively The whole fun of it for me is driving what I built and tinkering with it. I’m a mechanic so the build is more than half the fun haha
I’ve been planning this turbo build for years so I don’t really want to back out of it. This will be my second turbo set up and I was going to go for the beans this time so I built the motor. If I need to go widebody with Hoosiers I guess I will. Wasn’t really the plan but plans change...and more building :)

But in the meantime while I’m gathering parts I guess CST is really the only feasible class for me because it has no rules but tires are at least limited to 200 TW?

I was under the impression XS class was going to be available this year but only at a regional level until next year? You’re saying the opposite, it’s not until 2021 and right now it’s only national and pro solo? I’ll have to get on my desktop to more easily navigate the websites. On the phone is just too difficult haha

Thanks for all the help everyone, my questions are endless. I’ll be out in Fontana Saturday the 14th and depending on how this class thing gets worked out maybe Sunday too?
Anthony P.

Post by Anthony P. »

Sure. Also find the Orange Vibe, Matt. He was in a similar position and has had a really fun time building for SMF on a budget.
Travis Maggini

Post by Travis Maggini »

I did talk to Matt with the Crazy Vibe at the last event quite a bit...but more about 1zz turbos and less about autocross haha. I'll seek him out again, thanks.
Monica LaFrance

Post by Monica LaFrance »

Good evening! Newcomer here, wanting to get started. I am reading and absorbing as much information as I can.

My question... I have a BMW 320i xDrive. The 320 is listed in G street, what I wanted to know is if the AWD pushed into another class. I couldn't find anything that differentiated rear wheel vs all wheel in the 320 and I just want to be absolutely sure.

Thanks!
Reed Gibson
Current CSCC Overall Champion

Post by Reed Gibson »

Monica LaFrance wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:54 pm Good evening! Newcomer here, wanting to get started. I am reading and absorbing as much information as I can.

My question... I have a BMW 320i xDrive. The 320 is listed in G street, what I wanted to know is if the AWD pushed into another class. I couldn't find anything that differentiated rear wheel vs all wheel in the 320 and I just want to be absolutely sure.

Thanks!
Hm, I took a look through the classing book and you're right, there's nothing I can see that specifies RWD vs AWD. There's no "Catch-All" class that I can see so I think GS is an appropriate classing for your BMW.

Thank you for taking the time to do a little research before asking, now comes the fun part ... getting to drive!
Steven Espinoza

Post by Steven Espinoza »

2015 Volkswagen GTi
Cold air intake
Lowering springs
Sport shocks and struts
Drilled and slotted rotors

What class am I?
Reed Gibson
Current CSCC Overall Champion

Post by Reed Gibson »

Steven Espinoza wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:41 pm 2015 Volkswagen GTi
Cold air intake
Lowering springs
Sport shocks and struts
Drilled and slotted rotors

What class am I?
Hi Steven, your first step would be to check the Solo Rulebook for your car, that can be found here:https://www.scca.com/downloads/48347-20 ... 6/download

A search for "GTI" shows your model GTI as G-Street. But because you have some mods let's take a look at the Street Category rules.

Going back up in the document to the Street Category rules, the first thing we'll look at is is Section 13.8 Suspension. Point A states that the springs must be OEM so that bumps you up to the next mod Category.

Let's move on to the next category in the rulebook, Street Touring. Browsing through the approved mods in this section shows that your car is legal for a Street Touring class. Another search for GTi shows that turbo GTi's are eligible for the Street Touring Hatch class.

After reading through the sections I can see that this would be your class based on your current mod set. ST classes are quite popular as they allow the user to make significant upgrades to their cars without ruining their "streetability".

Hopefully this guide helps you and others who are trying to interpret the admittedly daunting SCCA rulebook. Hope to see you at our newly announced event in August!
Steven Espinoza

Post by Steven Espinoza »

Impressive breakdown. Thank you for the help. See ya'll soon.
David Davilas

Post by David Davilas »

Hello guys, trying to figure out what class I am so i can order some lettering and numbers.

I have a 2004 350z with aftermarket wheels, coilovers, intake and exhaust. I registered for sunday as a novice since its my first event.