Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Robert Puertas
Club: PSCC
Car#: 44

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Post by Robert Puertas »

Yes, you are also legal for CSM.
fredricktsang

Post by fredricktsang »

Hi everyone, I just wanted to double check my classing before I signed up for May's event.
I recently picked up a 2002 NB Miata. Everything is stock except for a rotrex supercharger, coilovers, extended lower ball joint, swaybars and ecu. I'm planning to be running on 200TW tires. Will tihs qualify for CST or will I need to run SSM? Thanks in advance!
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

fredricktsang wrote:Hi everyone, I just wanted to double check my classing before I signed up for May's event.
I recently picked up a 2002 NB Miata. Everything is stock except for a rotrex supercharger, coilovers, extended lower ball joint, swaybars and ecu. I'm planning to be running on 200TW tires. Will tihs qualify for CST or will I need to run SSM? Thanks in advance!
Yes, eligible for CST.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
pt2285

Post by pt2285 »

so i never figured it out. 69 chevelle
LS3
6l80e trans
full floater rear end
full tubular suspension swap
boxed and welded frame

CAM-T??? i think im too modified for HIST
Adam Tarnoff
Club: CASOC
Car#: 49

Post by Adam Tarnoff »

pt2285 wrote:so i never figured it out. 69 chevelle
LS3
6l80e trans
full floater rear end
full tubular suspension swap
boxed and welded frame

CAM-T??? i think im too modified for HIST
CAM-T would be the class for you.
#49 STX Mazda RX-8
Burnsy502

Post by Burnsy502 »

So I have a '96 Miata which would clearly fall into an SM class but I'm not sure if my modifications would change that. The only major upgrades are in suspension, standalone ECU, and a nitrous shot. Any big class changes due to that? (This is my first post with SCCA so bear with me if I just asked a dumb question.)
Art Babcock

Post by Art Babcock »

I have an 08 cayman S with a catback on it, no other mods, what class would that fall in?
Adam Tarnoff

Post by Adam Tarnoff »

Burnsy502 wrote:So I have a '96 Miata which would clearly fall into an SM class but I'm not sure if my modifications would change that. The only major upgrades are in suspension, standalone ECU, and a nitrous shot. Any big class changes due to that? (This is my first post with SCCA so bear with me if I just asked a dumb question.)
For your first foray into the sport I'd recommend you run our local CST class.
#49 STX Mazda RX-8
Adam Tarnoff

Post by Adam Tarnoff »

Art Babcock wrote:I have an 08 cayman S with a catback on it, no other mods, what class would that fall in?
A street
#49 STX Mazda RX-8
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Burnsy502 wrote:So I have a '96 Miata which would clearly fall into an SM class but I'm not sure if my modifications would change that. The only major upgrades are in suspension, standalone ECU, and a nitrous shot. Any big class changes due to that? (This is my first post with SCCA so bear with me if I just asked a dumb question.)
In order to run with us you'll have to remove the nitrous bottle. It is a safety issue.
jeffgray

Post by jeffgray »

Please advise; I'm a novice; will be racing car for the first time this weekend - requesting help classifying car for Autocross - 91' Miata, 1.6L (no engine mods), street legal aftermarket exhaust (stock manifolds), coil over suspension, sway bars, street legal performance wheels & tires, full roll cage, single race seat & 5-way harness, cosmetic rear bumper change, rear wing. What class can I expect to race in?
Robert Puertas

Post by Robert Puertas »

jeffgray wrote:Please advise; I'm a novice; will be racing car for the first time this weekend - requesting help classifying car for Autocross - 91' Miata, 1.6L (no engine mods), street legal aftermarket exhaust (stock manifolds), coil over suspension, sway bars, street legal performance wheels & tires, full roll cage, single race seat & 5-way harness, cosmetic rear bumper change, rear wing. What class can I expect to race in?

CST if the tires have 140 tread wear rating or higher.
CSM if lower than 140.
Jonathan Ly

Post by Jonathan Ly »

I'm looking to try autocrossing for the first time and just wanna do it for fun. Please help me with my car's classing.I have a 2000 miata (LS I believe). Currently, it has 15x8 +36 wheels with 225/45 toyo proves r1rs. It has an intake(I can revert to stock if it helps me bump to a different class) and 01+ exhaust manifold. The car already came with a roll bar when I got it. Not exactly sure if the front shock tower brace came from the car factory, but it seems like it. I believe that's all in terms of mods.
Robert Puertas

Post by Robert Puertas »

The Toyos are 140 tread wear which Is legal in CST.
If they were less than 140 you'd be in CSP.
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Actually, the new Toyo R1R is 200 Treadwear.
Jonathan Ly

Post by Jonathan Ly »

I've been considering getting a spare set of tires and saw some daisies for sale. If I were to use the daisies for autox, would I still be in CST everything currently have on my car? I forgot to mention I also have an aluminum radiator as well.
Mark Ramos

Post by Mark Ramos »

Hi everyone,
I am a first timer and not sure what class my car would be in. I have a 2015 BMW 435i convertible, no mods completely stock, tires are like new only 9000 miles. Think it would be Street A ??
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Jonathan Ly wrote:I've been considering getting a spare set of tires and saw some daisies for sale. If I were to use the daisies for autox, would I still be in CST everything currently have on my car? I forgot to mention I also have an aluminum radiator as well.
Daisies are 14", be sure to test fit them over your brakes before you commit to purchasing them.

Competitive tires are very limited in 14" options. I'd recommend spending a little more, and find a set of 15" tires.
Craig Naylor

Post by Craig Naylor »

Mark Ramos wrote:Hi everyone,
I am a first timer and not sure what class my car would be in. I have a 2015 BMW 435i convertible, no mods completely stock, tires are like new only 9000 miles. Think it would be Street A ??

Hi Mark,

Welcome

M4's are in A Street (AS), your 435i would be in F Street (aka: FS)
kmaddux37

Post by kmaddux37 »

Hey everyone,
New to autocross and having trouble classing my car. I have read through the Street Category sections and my vehicle complies with everything except for my wheels. My wheels are 1" wider than stock. After reading through the Street Touring, Street Prepared and Street Modified sections, I am confused with the wheel widths.
Another item that seems unclear to me... to qualify for Street Category you must use "standard" springs... not sure what that is supposed to mean but I plan to install some aftermarket springs with a mild 1" drop.
What class would I fall under? I have a 2013 Honda Civic Si Sedan.
Thanks!
Adam Tarnoff

Post by Adam Tarnoff »

kmaddux37 wrote:Hey everyone,
New to autocross and having trouble classing my car. I have read through the Street Category sections and my vehicle complies with everything except for my wheels. My wheels are 1" wider than stock. After reading through the Street Touring, Street Prepared and Street Modified sections, I am confused with the wheel widths.
Another item that seems unclear to me... to qualify for Street Category you must use "standard" springs... not sure what that is supposed to mean but I plan to install some aftermarket springs with a mild 1" drop.
Thanks!
It sounds like it would be STX, as 8" is too wide for STF. At any rate, you should just focus on driving and getting used to the sport, so you can run a class we have called CST, which allows most modifications as long as you are on 140tw tires and it is a registered street car.

In Street category, (which replaced Stock), you must use OEM springs.
#49 STX Mazda RX-8
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

kmaddux37 wrote:Hey everyone,
Thanks!
As Adam mentions above, you can't change wheel width in Street, so you'll look to a higher category with your 1" wider wheels The 2006-2015 Honda Civic Si is specifically classed in STX, which allows wheels up to 9" wide for 2WD vehicles. I'm not sure what your actual wheel width is, but if it is 9" or less, you'll go there.

Locally, we also have California Street Touring, which is pretty much a run-what-you-can-keep-registered class on street tires.

Main thing is to come out and meet people and have fun. Wheel get all rules crazy on you later.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Silv94

Post by Silv94 »

Hi I'm new to this and not sure what class I should be in, I have a 94 Mazda Miata m edition with coilovers, front and rear strut bar, 15x8 wheels with 225 tires, Tires have 200tw, roll bar, other than those the car is stock.
Craig Naylor

Post by Craig Naylor »

Silv94 wrote:Hi I'm new to this and not sure what class I should be in, I have a 94 Mazda Miata m edition with coilovers, front and rear strut bar, 15x8 wheels with 225 tires, Tires have 200tw, roll bar, other than those the car is stock.
This is a tough one...

Your M edition, limited slip knocks you out of STS
Your 8.0 wheels knocks you out of STR

Your looking at CSP so far as SCCA national classes go... and DOT approved race tires are allowed there.

Or CST (California Street Tire) a local a run what you brung class on 140TW tires.

If you like playing with us, and looking down the road opt for a second set of tires dedicated to AX'ing, pickup a set of 15x7.5" rims, and head to STR.
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!

Post by Sebastian Rios »

The wheel width limit for STR is 9"...