Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Post by Craig Naylor »

Seb is correct, 9.0 for STR (2wd), the 7.5 was for STR (AWD)

I apparently stopped reading as soon as my eyes registered "STR", and didn't actually read the details.

STR looks like the place to be for your car.
Chris Myers
Car#: 369

Post by Chris Myers »

I know this is slightly off topic but I know this thread gets a fair bit of traffic. So hopefully its ok for a quick question. :roll:

I have an auto CVT honda fit (flappy paddle shifter), and typically when I race I put the car in sport mode and let the car figure out the gear changes. However at this past May event I decided to manually put the car in 2nd gear for fun runs. I noticed the acceleration was way more responsive and it seemed faster.

Is it ok to launch from the starting line in 2nd gear, or should I start in first and change up to 2nd immediately? Thanks
2013 Honda Fit Sport -STF
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director
Club: CASOC
Car#: 436

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

Chris Myers wrote:I know this is slightly off topic but I know this thread gets a fair bit of traffic. So hopefully its ok for a quick question. :roll:

I have an auto CVT honda fit (flappy paddle shifter), and typically when I race I put the car in sport mode and let the car figure out the gear changes. However at this past May event I decided to manually put the car in 2nd gear for fun runs. I noticed the acceleration was way more responsive and it seemed faster.

Is it ok to launch from the starting line in 2nd gear, or should I start in first and change up to 2nd immediately? Thanks
As you know, most of the folks at our events have manual transmissions. While I don't know specifically about Honda Fit, I do the flappy paddle thing in my automatic Corvette (6th gen). I launch in first gear, and typically hit the paddle into second at the most appropriate spot in the first element or two. Then, just leave it in 2nd the rest of the lap. Sometimes (very rarely) I'll grab 3rd for just a bit to avoid hitting the rev limiter (manual Corvettes don't mind hitting the rev limiter, but in the automatics hitting the rev limiter while paddle shifting will result in a big loss of power for a moment and unsettle the car...critical to not blow the launch 1st to 2nd shift by hitting the limiter). In my car there is a significant delay between pressing the paddle and the actual shift as well. But it's easily compensated for by pressing the paddle a bit early (daily driving with the paddles has trained my brain to shift ahead so the car will actually be shifting when appropriate). The actual shift is actually quite quick and smooth (just need to hit that button about a half second before you want it to happen).

My son's Mazda 3 is an automatic, and he manually shifts it when he runs it. Same deal...start in first, manually shift the automatic to second when appropriate...and leave it the rest of the lap. Works well for him.

That all being said, I've had some very good drivers get in my car and just launch in 2nd and not even mess with 1st.

Good luck out there!
SCCA Certifications: Solo Safety Steward, Flagging and Communications
http://CorvetteNews.com/
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Hey Chris,

It depends on the transmission, and requires some investigation by you.

1st, find out if it auto up-shifts at redline/revlimiter even it you don't... or will it allow you to bang against the rev-limiter?

There are quite a few auto & CVT's transmissions that will not stay against the rev-limiter... and will over ride you and shift anyway.

That said, I ran an auto Prizm (Corolla) for my 1st 5 years Ax'ing. I found that leaving it in 2nd was the best option.
How much do you think you will gain by hanging on to 1st for an extra 200-500rpms... @ 15-25mph?

I think you will find many manual drivers often short shift to 2nd, to optimize the location/vs rpm of their 1st/2nd shift - so as not to be in a corner. (S2000 AP1's not included, those bastards often make it out of that corner & into the straight before hitting 9000 rpm's)

If you paddle shifters rotate with your steering wheel.... LOCK in 2nd at the start!
Chris Myers

Post by Chris Myers »

Hi Randy & Craig,

Thanks for the advice its appreciated!

I also suffer from a late .5 second gear change. It's never right when i need it. So the tip about anticipating is good to know. The car won't shift up and will bounce off the limiter, however any excess will result in the car switching itself to normal automatic mode. It's smart enough to not let me kill the engine haha, which is good.

The paddles are on the steering wheel (which can be curse sometimes from accidentally hitting them in a tight turn), so I could change gears at the start line which is usually into a sharp turn.

I think I will start in 1st and then shift to 2nd the remainder. I do notice the launch is a lot slower in starting in second, but the power comes on sooner. I also don't want to put any more strain on the engine than is needed.

Thanks guys!
Bryan Hiura

Post by Bryan Hiura »

Hello All!

Need some help classifying my car.

'13 Subaru WRX 2.5L Stock Turbo
Modifications include: Intake, Exhaust, Coilovers, Sway-Bars F&R, Cobb Accessport.
Tire/wheel size is OEM: 8" wide, 235 width.

After reading the rulebook seems like I am STX ?

Thank you guys, look forward to your responses!

Best Regards,
Bryan H.
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Bryan Hiura wrote:Hello All!

Modifications include: Intake, Exhaust, Coilovers, Sway-Bars F&R, Cobb Accessport.

Best Regards,
Bryan H.
Appears the 2009-14 WRX is classified in STU. What are your intake and exhaust mods?
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Bryan Hiura

Post by Bryan Hiura »

KJ Christopher wrote:
Bryan Hiura wrote:Hello All!

Best Regards,
Bryan H.
Appears the 2009-14 WRX is classified in STU. What are your intake and exhaust mods?
Thx for response KJ Christopher.
Running Cobb SF Intake, 3" Downpipe, stock midpipe, muffler delete axle back exhaust.
With the Downpipe I am running a stage2 tune, which increased boost pressure above factory. Wondering where this places me... Thx!
Max Hayter
Club: CASOC
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Extra boost = ASP. Run the Cobb STU tune or stock tune to be STU legal.
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Corvette Ed

Post by Corvette Ed »

Hello...I am new and I have just joined SCCA. I'm not sure what to classify my car as. I am assuming it would fall under CAM but not sure. I have a 1971 Corvette 350/4sp which is pretty much stock with the exception of headers and side pipes, an upgraded intake manifold and carb, the rest of the car is stock. I plan on going out to El Toro this Sunday. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ED!
Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 194

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

Corvette Ed wrote:Hello...I am new and I have just joined SCCA. I'm not sure what to classify my car as. I am assuming it would fall under CAM but not sure. I have a 1971 Corvette 350/4sp which is pretty much stock with the exception of headers and side pipes, an upgraded intake manifold and carb, the rest of the car is stock. I plan on going out to El Toro this Sunday. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ED!
Hey Ed,

CAM would be the way to go. At least for now as it is somewhat of a "catch all" class for American Muscle. At this point, I would say not to worry too much about the classing but just enjoy yourself with the car.
http://www.osgiken.net
4 BSP- 2019 Mazda ND Miata - 2001 SSM Honda S2000
OS Giken / Bride / ShaftWorks USA
Corvette Ed

Post by Corvette Ed »

Sounds good! Thank you for the response. I will go out on Sunday and scope it out!

Ed
KMBowen

Post by KMBowen »

Hi New to the sport and would like assistance in classifying my car.
2012 Audi A4 Quatro
Stasis exhaust - Installed by dealer
H&R adjustable coiler overs
Otherwise stock

Thank you,
Ken Bowen
Sean Fenstermacher
Car#: 81

Post by Sean Fenstermacher »

KMBowen wrote:Hi New to the sport and would like assistance in classifying my car.
2012 Audi A4 Quatro
Stasis exhaust - Installed by dealer
H&R adjustable coiler overs
Otherwise stock

Thank you,
Ken Bowen
Hi Ken!
Your H&R coilovers will put you into STX. If you go back to stock springs, you would be in G-Street.
Chris Myers

Post by Chris Myers »

Hey there guys/gals,

My dad is interested in Autocrossing his '94 V6 Camaro and needs help classing his car. The Camaro is bone stock all around but he is looking to purchase some tires to autoX.

What class would be best for his Camaro? And what mods if any would be allowed in said class.

Much appreciated!

-Chris
Chris Myers

Post by Chris Myers »

Bump!
Anyone?
David Barrish
Club: PSCC
Car#: 58

Post by David Barrish »

Looks like H Street.
Chris Myers

Post by Chris Myers »

David Barrish wrote:Looks like H Street.
Thanks David! That looks right to me.
Jonathan Ly

Post by Jonathan Ly »

Jonathan Ly wrote:I'm looking to try autocrossing for the first time and just wanna do it for fun. Please help me with my car's classing.I have a 2000 miata (LS I believe). Currently, it has 15x8 +36 wheels with 225/45 toyo proves r1rs. It has an intake(I can revert to stock if it helps me bump to a different class) and 01+ exhaust manifold. The car already came with a roll bar when I got it. Not exactly sure if the front shock tower brace came from the car factory, but it seems like it. I believe that's all in terms of mods.
Just wanted an update. I recently got a set of the 15x6 OEM wheels and plan to use 195/50/15 tires eventually (unless otherwise suggested). How would that affect my classing (originally CST-thats California street touring, right?)?
Gerald Judianto

Post by Gerald Judianto »

Hi, Everyone!

I recently joined SCCA and I'm new to autox. I would like some help with classification.

'92 Miata
1.6L w/ turbo upgrade
15x8 wheels w/ 205/50. 200 UTQG
1-way adjustable coilovers
Removed soft top. Bolted down hardtop
Roll bar
1.8 brakes

After looking at the rule book and this thread, I believe the car falls under SSM or CST?

Best Regards,
Gerald
Kevin Pao

Post by Kevin Pao »

Jonathan Ly wrote:
Jonathan Ly wrote:I'm looking to try autocrossing for the first time and just wanna do it for fun. Please help me with my car's classing.I have a 2000 miata (LS I believe). Currently, it has 15x8 +36 wheels with 225/45 toyo proves r1rs. It has an intake(I can revert to stock if it helps me bump to a different class) and 01+ exhaust manifold. The car already came with a roll bar when I got it. Not exactly sure if the front shock tower brace came from the car factory, but it seems like it. I believe that's all in terms of mods.
Just wanted an update. I recently got a set of the 15x6 OEM wheels and plan to use 195/50/15 tires eventually (unless otherwise suggested). How would that affect my classing (originally CST-thats California street touring, right?)?
If you keep your 15x8 and just make sure your tire is 200tw, you would be in STR.

15x6, you would still be in STR /CST.
Kevin Pao

Post by Kevin Pao »

Gerald Judianto wrote:Hi, Everyone!

I recently joined SCCA and I'm new to autox. I would like some help with classification.

'92 Miata
1.6L w/ turbo upgrade
15x8 wheels w/ 205/50. 200 UTQG
1-way adjustable coilovers
Removed soft top. Bolted down hardtop
Roll bar
1.8 brakes

After looking at the rule book and this thread, I believe the car falls under SSM or CST?

Best Regards,
Gerald
Correct. or also CSM (Like CST but with race tires)
Gerald Judianto

Post by Gerald Judianto »

Awesome. Thanks, Kevin.
Steve Dominguez

Post by Steve Dominguez »

Hi recently joined and am looking at what my car class is.
It's an 2008 G35 Sport sedan. its bone stock as of this moment so just making sure, does that put me in the F street class?
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Steve Dominguez wrote:Hi recently joined and am looking at what my car class is.
It's an 2008 G35 Sport sedan. its bone stock as of this moment so just making sure, does that put me in the F street class?
Yes.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...