Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Michael Palero
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 18

Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Post by Michael Palero »

Post your Car Classing questions here! We'll class your car!

Link to Rulebook: SCCA rules
Last edited by Michael Palero on Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jamie Lessie

New and would like some help with classing

Post by Jamie Lessie »

I attended the Ladies Autocross school and enjoyed the event very much. If I were to compete what class would I be in? I looked it up and my car fit the street prepared category on the dot except for the internal engine upgrade. My engine is stock (94 Mazda rx-7 1.3L wankel) except I have a mild street port. In a rotary engine the fuel/air must make a 90 degree turn once it has entered the chamber. By smoothing it out gas mileage is increased. Would that stick my car in an entire different class? Is there a way to request or petition staying in a street prepared class? Everything else on my car is stock except coilovers, intake and a downpipe.

Thanks a bunch,

Jamie

Street Prepared – The original SCCA “street” category, Street Prepared allows
any carburetor or fuel injection system and any ignition system. Turbo /
superchargers have to remain factory spec as well as boost control systems,
except aftermarket intercoolers are allowed. Exhaust manifolds and systems are
free. Emission controls are not required for competition, but no internal engine or
transmission modifications are allowed beyond factory specs.
Some cars are
able to update/backdate components like engines, brakes, etc. (See Solo Rules
for details and specs). There are no limits on wheels sizes or DOT tires and racebred
springs and shocks are the norm.
http://www.freewebs.com/rotaryinfo/bewa ... rotary.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Re: New and would like some help with classing

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

A street port is beyond the SP porting allowances, it would move your car to SM2. If it is any consolation, the FD has won the SM2 natl championship the last three years.
Last edited by Jason Isley BS RX8 on Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

I'm no engine internals expert, and even less so on rotories. But does this help?

15.10T Intake and exhaust ports and manifold openings may be
matched provided no change is made more than one inch from
the port/manifold interface. Material may be removed to facilitate
port matching, but no material may be added

There's also the caviot on two-stroke not to modify them, not sure if the SCCA calls a rotory a 'Two Stroke'
15.10N On two-cycle engines, the ports must be of standard heights, size
and configuration; crankcase volume and reed plates must not
be altered.

The SCCA will not grant individual car/motor acceptions to the rules. What's the science behind better milage with a smoothed out port? I've always under stood the more turbulent the air flow in the better mixing of air fuel you get and a fuller burn in the chamber.

Jay W
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Jamie Lessie wrote:I attended the Ladies Autocross school and enjoyed the event very much. If I were to compete what class would I be in? I looked it up and my car fit the street prepared category on the dot except for the internal engine upgrade. My engine is stock (94 Mazda rx-7 1.3L wankel) except I have a mild street port. In a rotary engine the fuel/air must make a 90 degree turn once it has entered the chamber. By smoothing it out gas mileage is increased. Would that stick my car in an entire different class? Is there a way to request or petition staying in a street prepared class? Everything else on my car is stock except coilovers, intake and a downpipe.

Thanks a bunch,

Jamie
Technically I think you have to be in SM2 (or does the 94 have rear seats?, then SM) or our local version CSM or the new CST if on street tires. That being said, you probably wouldn't have a problem with anyone in ASP as long as you don't win :D
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Jayson Woodruff wrote:I'm no engine internals expert, and even less so on rotories. But does this help?

15.10T Intake and exhaust ports and manifold openings may be
matched provided no change is made more than one inch from
the port/manifold interface. Material may be removed to facilitate
port matching, but no material may be added

There's also the caviot on two-stroke not to modify them, not sure if the SCCA calls a rotory a 'Two Stroke'
15.10N On two-cycle engines, the ports must be of standard heights, size
and configuration; crankcase volume and reed plates must not
be altered.

The SCCA will not grant individual car/motor acceptions to the rules. What's the science behind better milage with a smoothed out port? I've always under stood the more turbulent the air flow in the better mixing of air fuel you get and a fuller burn in the chamber.

Jay W
These are more than 1" in.. Image
Jamie Lessie

Post by Jamie Lessie »

Rick Brown wrote:
Jamie Lessie wrote:I attended the Ladies Autocross school and enjoyed the event very much. If I were to compete what class would I be in? I looked it up and my car fit the street prepared category on the dot except for the internal engine upgrade. My engine is stock (94 Mazda rx-7 1.3L wankel) except I have a mild street port. In a rotary engine the fuel/air must make a 90 degree turn once it has entered the chamber. By smoothing it out gas mileage is increased. Would that stick my car in an entire different class? Is there a way to request or petition staying in a street prepared class? Everything else on my car is stock except coilovers, intake and a downpipe.

Thanks a bunch,

Jamie
Technically I think you have to be in SM2 (or does the 94 have rear seats?, then SM) or our local version CSM or the new CST if on street tires. That being said, you probably wouldn't have a problem with anyone in ASP as long as you don't win :D
There is a local version on street tires? That is good news. I don't mind modifying my car for another class but I just can't afford racing tires.

BTW: What if the size of the hole is not enlarged but the shape is changed, is that still considered a "port" :roll: According to what is said in the rules I guess so.

Why can I not find the rules for SM2? hmmm, can someone help me out?

Thanks so much btw. I used to race years ago but left because of all the assholes. What I enjoyed the most about autocross was the atmosphere. Everyone was so helpful and outgoing. Thanks for being awesome and helping out the noobs :D

Here I am on Saturday :)
http://www.freewebs.com/rotaryinfo/bewa ... rotary.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Jamie Lessie wrote:Why can I not find the rules for SM2? hmmm, can someone help me out?
They should be at the end of the SM section. Most of the SM2 rules are SM rules.

BTW, I think the names of these classes are going to change next year too. (SM2 to SSM?)

Jay W
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Jamie Lessie wrote: There is a local version on street tires? That is good news. I don't mind modifying my car for another class but I just can't afford racing tires.
Yep. You can check our Supplemental Regulations for the CSM (California Street Modified) class. For 2009 we're adding CST (California Street Touring) which will work with the same rules - virtually none :D - but limit participants to 140+ treadwear tires.

If you decide to start participating in non-local events - like National Tours or Pro Solos - that class won't be available to you, but you can certainly have a blast in the local class, learn a lot and meet some good people.

Mike
Jamie Lessie

Post by Jamie Lessie »

Jamie Lessie wrote: There is a local version on street tires? That is good news. I don't mind modifying my car for another class but I just can't afford racing tires.
I said that before but it looks like SM2 has (almost) no rules, I can't (won't) modify my car that much!

I would love to compete in local classes. I hope to see you all soon :)

Jamie
Jamie Lessie

Post by Jamie Lessie »

Another question;

I have removed my precat (they can clog and ruin an engine) I have my main cat and can pass a stiffer test when smogged but it does not have all the factory smog equipment. Would that make me ineligible to run in California Street Modified?
Jamie Lessie

Post by Jamie Lessie »

CALIFORNIA STREET MODIFIED (CSM)

Any car which complies with Street Prepared Catagory Rules, with the following
exceptions/allowances:

(1) Engines and drive trains are un restricted - including engine swaps, air induction,
carburetion/fuel injection, transmissions, drive shafts, and rear
ends/axles/differentials.

(2) Suspension is un restricted - Any modification is allowed.
(3) Electrical system - Must have operational tail lights, brake lights, headlights, wipers
and turn signals. Instrumentation is
unrestricted.
(4) Bodywork:
(a) Body panels (including hoods, fenders & trunk lids), may be substituted with
panels of alternate materials.
(b) Hood scoops are allowed.
(c) Spoilers and/or wings are unrestricted.
(d) Must have a minimum of two seats. (rear seats may be removed)

So porting is allowed? as long as I have the ability to pass smog on that port (which I do, I just need to install the other cat to pass)

Sorry for all the questions!
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Jamie Lessie wrote: So porting is allowed? as long as I have the ability to pass smog on that port (which I do, I just need to install the other cat to pass)

CSM is our local "run what ya brung" class. Porting? Allowed. HUGE Wings? Allowed. Aftermarket whirly sound thangs? Allowed. Titanium muffler bearings? Well... you get the idea.

Race slicks? Nope... they're not DOT approved.

CST will be the same as CSM, but on 140+ treadwear tires. I think you'll have a fun class and some good competition there.

Mike
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Mike Simanyi wrote:
Jamie Lessie wrote: So porting is allowed? as long as I have the ability to pass smog on that port (which I do, I just need to install the other cat to pass)

CSM is our local "run what ya brung" class. Porting? Allowed. HUGE Wings? Allowed. Aftermarket whirly sound thangs? Allowed. Titanium muffler bearings? Well... you get the idea.

Race slicks? Nope... they're not DOT approved.

CST will be the same as CSM, but on 140+ treadwear tires. I think you'll have a fun class and some good competition there.

Mike
I'm told that if you have one of those horns that plays Skynard songs, you are allowed two cones without penalty. So I'm told.

Edit for clarification: You have to play the intro to Sweet Home Alabama BEFORE the next element in order to avail yourself of the freebies.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

What about your other RX7 ?

Ladies AX Photos: http://public.fotki.com/makofoto/2008-- ... ax-school/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jamie Lessie

Post by Jamie Lessie »

Mako Koiwai wrote:What about your other RX7 ?
You mean the one I have for sale? Here is the link to the album. Hope the link works.

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b369/ ... /red%20FD/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a picture. It is much nicer then my black one. I really want it to go to someone who will appreciate it. It would make a great weekend car and if I could, I would keep it and run in a stock autocross class.
Mako Koiwai wrote: Ladies AX Photos: http://public.fotki.com/makofoto/2008-- ... ax-school/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mr. Koiwai,

Can I purchase a CD with all the photos you took with of my car? I don't really have a use for prints. Great pictures btw!
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member

Post by KJ Christopher »

Jamie Lessie wrote:
Mr. Koiwai
Way, way too courteous. We don't get much of your type around here.
kj
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

correct ... causes confusion ?! :?
Jamie Lessie

Post by Jamie Lessie »

KJ Christopher wrote:
Jamie Lessie wrote:
Mr. Koiwai
Way, way too courteous. We don't get much of your type around here.
My type? I never knew I had a type. I just thought I was weird.
Mako Koiwai wrote:correct ... causes confusion ?! :?
LOL I normally get scolded for not being polite enough :roll:

Mako, do you sell CD's with all the pictures of my car from the Ladies School event?
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Have you seen Chad's sister car 4 sale:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1091
Will Kalman
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

Jamie Lessie wrote:
KJ Christopher wrote:Way, way too courteous. We don't get much of your type around here.
In that case, nevermind, we have plenty of that around here!
Jamie Lessie

Post by Jamie Lessie »

Will Kalman wrote:
Jamie Lessie wrote:
KJ Christopher wrote:Way, way too courteous. We don't get much of your type around here.
In that case, nevermind, we have plenty of that around here!
LOL in that case I might fit right in!
Mako Koiwai wrote:Have you seen Chad's sister car 4 sale:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1091
Yeah, I did. That really surprised me. In his ad he states "Not going to find anything like this ever again." and I have been saying that too with mine but there his is. I would really like to see his car. Does he bring it to events?

I was going to post mine in the FS forum but I didn't want to ur, be "competing" against a clone. It really is crazy though. My car is almost a carbon copy of his, mine is stock though. It is REALLY hard to find a 7 like that. Do you know how long it has been for sale? Why am I asking you this? I should just PM him LOL

On the side note, would you guys do my a HUGE favor? If we get on into the event on Saturday would you mind just introducing yourselves to by boyfriend (don't tell him why you are saying hi, or that you know about him) He is not into racing (although he had to learn about cars the 3 years he has been dating me ;) ) and I would be so happy is he enjoyed this sport and it became something we could do together. I took him drag racing with me a few times ages ago and everyone there was just so mean. They told me you guys (solo2) were meaner and evil. To be honest I was a little uneasy about the ladies autox for that reason. I am sure he feels the same way about Saturdays event. It would mean the world to me if you made him feel welcome, just like what you did for me. Thank you btw for being different :) He will be driving my obnoxious-sounding MR2 (sw20) For any of you that do, Mako maybe? he speaks fluent conversational Japanese.

Here is Mr. Obnoxious himself. (not my bf, my/our MR2 hell be driving) We tested it today with our churches disable meter and it is less then 80db's at 15 feet. It made me think what the heck kinda car makes 95db at 50 feet. We aren't racing lemans cars here...

BTW: Can we request to drive in the same run group?
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

BTW-the sound thing is sort of a bluff... The rule is there so we can complain if somebody really abuses things. You'd probably have to be over a 100 for anybody to care. And you'd be surprised what cars get there. I blew sound at Golden Gate Fields in SFR which is 95 at a 100 I think. Thats in a lame little civic with 85 ftlbs of torque.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member

Post by KJ Christopher »

Jamie Lessie wrote: We aren't racing lemans cars here...
You should have heard the green monster when he was running a 3 rotor....
BTW: Can we request to drive in the same run group?
Shouldn't be a problem if you're not driving the same car.

I'll keep an eye out for your guy. Most of us are a civil lot. Even those (except two, maybe three) who aren't civil still mean well.

I'm not sure how we will have the runs set up, but if there is a rest period, I'd suggest getting that as your first group and using it to take ride-alongs. It will give him more time to meet people and gel.
kj
Curt Luther
Car#: 9
Location: Lookin' in Mike's cooler for "water" ;)...and my underwear

Post by Curt Luther »

I think we've found our new Ashley for 2009...
Rev. Dr. Curtis J. Luther, Esq., M.D.