Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Gerald Judianto

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Post by Gerald Judianto »

Hey guys,

What class would a stock '15 Club miata be in? I'm thinking Streets?
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 30

Post by Anthony P. »

Gerald Judianto wrote:Hey guys,

C-Street
Gerald Judianto

Post by Gerald Judianto »

Anthony Porta wrote:
Gerald Judianto wrote:Hey guys,

C-Street
Thanks, Anthony!
Eric Wong

Post by Eric Wong »

The Chevy Bolt EV is now allowed and classed into H Street:
https://dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.net/us ... r-Solo.pdf

However, I put 0.5" wider wheels in mine which puts me into one of the Street Touring classes.
I'm not sure, but the “Catch-all” rule for STS might work:

Sedans & Coupes NOC (non-sports-car-based; 4-seat minimum;
up to 3.1L normally-aspirated)

The displacement of my electric motor would be... zero; and maybe "normally-aspirated" can be stretched to mean "not-aspirated-at-all".

I don't mind being in an class where my car is uncompetitive (CST works for me, too). It is far more important that I preserve expensive and slippery stock tires (on stock wheels) for long trips; and eventually get extra camber to reduce sidewall wear.

I might get a NOS sticker to make my car more intimidating, too :)

Edit: asking SEB for clarification (#23449). Meanwhile, will probably be running the cheap Rikens on stock wheels in HS this coming weekend to get a baseline on how the car handles on stock form.
Matthew Corodimas

Post by Matthew Corodimas »

Hello,

I looked at the rules but need help figuring out which class to register Laura’s M2 in. It’s stock.

Thanks.
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director
Club: CASOC
Car#: 436

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

Hey Matt,

The doc you want is here:

https://dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.net/us ... lasses.pdf

Search for M2 and you'll find it in B Street (page 145, under BMW heading). "M2 (except Performance Edition ZL9) (2016-17)"

If Laura's got the Performance Edition ZL9 (I don't think that's what she has but just in case) she's in A Street.
SCCA Certifications: Solo Safety Steward, Flagging and Communications
http://CorvetteNews.com/
Danielle Gilbert
Car#: 949

Post by Danielle Gilbert »

How do I arrange the letters? I'll be in Novice - A Street.

In a line with a space:

NOV AS
AS NOV

In a line without a space:

NOVAS
ASNOV

Vertically stacked:
NOV
AS

AS
NOV

Or... ?

A picture would be very helpful. :)
Ed T
Current Solo Director
Car#: 711

Post by Ed T »

Danielle Gilbert wrote:How do I arrange the letters? I'll be in Novice - A Street.

In a line with a space:

NOV AS
AS NOV

In a line without a space:

NOVAS
ASNOV

Vertically stacked:
NOV
AS

AS
NOV

Or... ?

A picture would be very helpful. :)
Not sure if there is a hardline rule on this but usually it's:

AS
NOV

or AS NOV

Are you asking because you are getting magnets printed? Just curious.
ES #711 Aston Martin V8 MR2 Spyder Vantage
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

Ed T wrote:Are you asking because you are getting magnets printed? Just curious.
Danielle has a plastic car....magnets aren't an option! :D
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

To specifically answer your question: Check out the cars on our http://www.solo2.com web site for photos. You'll see some of the many ways you can approach numbers. The rules say minimum 8" tall for the numbers and 4" tall for the class. You can order nice numbers online or from a local sign shop (just remember magnets won't stick to your plastic car!). That being said, many just print large as they can bold numbers and class indications on standard 8.5x11 paper and just tape the piece of paper on the car (either blue painter's tape, or electrician's vinyl tape if your car is waxed nice and the painter's tape doesn't stick well). You can do AS NOV on one line or stack them, just make sure it's easy to read.

Since you're new with us, there's no shame in just hacking some numbers on the car with tape (I do it all the time with 2" and 3/4" vinyl electrical tape). Not the sharpest looking solution, but it works just fine in a pinch. Take your time and make them readable is all that's really important. FYI: As you pull up into the line on competition days, you'll pass by the rear of the timing trailer. They will be the first to read your car numbers. They don't have to be perfect, but if they are easily legible the timing crew will appreciate it. From there the course workers will be calling in your cone counts (although we're not going to be hitting any of there are we?)....so again, clearly readable as you blaze by the course workers is appreciated. A clean contrasting color is best. Blue painter's tape won't be a good call on your blue car! :)

Either way, as long as they're readable, we won't kick you out of line if your numbers aren't flawless or you make a protocol mistake. That being said, a sharp set of numbers sets the "I came to race" tone! :)

Ugh, with you and Danny showing up in AS with nice numbers I'm going to have to step up my game! :D
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

In addition to 8" minimum for numbers and 4" for letters, the 8" number have to have an 1.5" stroke. Also, for me (timing) the preferred class letter pattern is NOV AS or NOVAS as that's the way it is in the computer. Indexed class (NOV) comes before regular class (AS). Therefore the hand written logs would match the printed audit sheet. Not a big deal, but it would make me happier! ;)

Oh, and talk to Jay @ http://www.jaycomvinyl.com/ for numbers, he's one of us. He does do static cling for plastic cars.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Danielle Gilbert

Thanks for the tips, everyone. Check out the new look!

At least, that's the idea. We'll see how it actually looks in practice.

Rick - Thanks. I ordered before I saw the update about Jay, but I'll definitely talk to him once this set wears out.

Randy - you're definitely going to need to step up now. C'mon... that Grand Sport wants to look *fancy*. :D
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

Danielle Gilbert wrote:Thanks for the tips, everyone. Check out the new look!

Rick - Thanks. I ordered before I saw the update about Jay, but I'll definitely talk to him once this set wears out.

Randy - you're definitely going to need to step up now. C'mon... that Grand Sport wants to look *fancy*. :D
Others please take note! This is officially Timing & Scoring approved. ;)
Danielle Gilbert

Rick Brown wrote:
Danielle Gilbert wrote:Thanks for the tips, everyone. Check out the new look!

Others please take note! This is officially Timing & Scoring approved. ;)
Sweet! Thanks! :D
Justin Erickson
Car#: 846

Post by Justin Erickson »

What class would 2018 Mercedes C43 AMG be in? I know the SCCA handbook says SS for "AMG NOC" is that the right class since I don't see it listed in any other classes?

What about with ECU tuning and a downpipe?
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough
- Mario Andretti
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Hi Justin, Welcome.

Considering the 2018 C63 is in F Street... your car would likely land there, once classed.

Unfortunately, until it's classed, you found the correct Catch-all in SS: AMG (NOC)

Downpipe - Cat back is open... so as long as it's downstream of the final factory cat, no problem.

ECU: That bumps you to something nasty like SSM, or our local catch-all classes: CST (Street tire 140TW) or CSM (DOT approved race tires)
Justin Erickson
Car#: 846

Post by Justin Erickson »

Craig Naylor wrote:Hi Justin, Welcome.

Considering the 2018 C63 is in F Street... your car would likely land there, once classed.

Unfortunately, until it's classed, you found the correct Catch-all in SS: AMG (NOC)

Downpipe - Cat back is open... so as long as it's downstream of the final factory cat, no problem.

ECU: That bumps you to something nasty like SSM, or our local catch-all classes: CST (Street tire 140TW) or CSM (DOT approved race tires)
Thank you for the info and insight. I will pass it along to my buddy that I'm likely bringing with me to the next event. I'll be in my Focus RS in B Street though and not in the AMG.
If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough
- Mario Andretti
tjennings

Post by tjennings »

hi,

new signup here. i'm essentially a newbie, i autocrossed for a couple of years up in San Francisco are back in the 1980's. i'll try to assume nothing! i've read over the basics and will do so again. i'm more interested in seat time and fun and improving myself, not interested at this time in competition, which is probably just as well --

-- my car is a 1961 rambler american severely modified into a roadster. it will be in a Modified class of some sort. fully street legal and technically clean and neat. it has the ancient Rambler six, fairly built, estimate 175hp. curb weight measured on a scale ad 2300 lbs. 100" wheelbase. T5 transmission and custom rear suspension and mustang axle. air springs. partially reengineered front suspension ("shelby drop") and partial tubular arms, four wheel disc brakes. sealed electronic cooling system (no drip). 205/50-16 Kumho ecsta 4/x tires. reasonably quiet exhaust.

its my casual rally car ("slow cars driven fast"). it's not all that fast but reasonably well balanced for being a totally oddity. the severe mods will surely put me in a Modified class where i won't be competitive, but i'm fine with that if you are. i'm ok with having a club officer or volunteer class my car for me.

should i just show up as recommended and see what y'all think?
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

A couple thoughts:
  • CST

This is our "catch all" class on Street Tires. Basically you have to use 200+ treadwear tires and the car is supposed to be able to be registered for street use. Other than that, pass Tech Inspection and you're good. The cars there are not vintage like yours, but you'll still have fun and be able to measure your improvement against a known group of participants.
  • CAM, possibly.

This is a national supplemental group of classes, intended to capture Classic American Muscle cars that are running in a couple non-SCCA programs such as the Optima and Pro Touring events. I think your car wouldn't be legal based on the weight, but if it's not a front runner there you can check with your fellow competitors and get their permission to run with them. I think your car will "look" like it fits in there. You can find the details at https://www.scca.com/downloads/39334-20 ... 0/download. That's a link from the SCCA's Solo Rules page here: https://www.scca.com/pages/solo-cars-and-rules
Chad-1stGen
Car#: 268

Post by Chad-1stGen »

tjennings,

Definitely come on out! Mike covered it in his reply. CST is the easy answer. However, as a classic car fan and CAM driver I'd love to see you running with us "old cars" in CAM-T. From your description the only issues is how far under minimum weight you are. However, with your tire choice I don't think anyone would mind if you ran with CAM-T. If you are on Facebook you could join the "SCCA Cal Club CAM Class (autocross)" group and ask the CAM-T people if they would object. Either way I hope to see you out there.
tjennings

Post by tjennings »

OK! thanks both Mike and Chad -- i'll show up and see what happens. i'll check out both scenes and see which is the best fit. this isn't a muscle car by any definition though! I'll look at the calendar and come out at the first opportunity. thanks a lot!
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Tjennings, be sure to pre-register for our events at solo2.motorsportreg.com. If you don't have a MSR user ID, you'll need to set one up.

We've gone to a pre-reg / pay online process, where your card won't be charged until the event. I'd suggest following Chad's suggestion, checking out the Facebook group for the local CAM people, and see if they're okay with you running with them. (My guess is they'll be fine with it unless you come out and stomp them.)

If you have their tentative approval, sign up in CAM-T for Sunday. If you want to run in the practice on Saturday, you don't need to declare a class. Even if you don't run in it you may want to stop by, find a couple CAM people and get some rides. (Bring a helmet if you have one.)

We'll look forward to seeing you out there!

Mike
rodolfo yabut

Post by rodolfo yabut »

Hi! Complete newbie here and excited to autocross! I was wondering a couple things:

- What class my car is
- If my car satisfies the rollbar requirements (basically if my car is good as-is)

2016 Mazda MX-5 ND (Miata) - stock

Thanks in advance for any help!
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

rodolfo yabut wrote:Hi! Complete newbie here and excited to autocross! I was wondering a couple things:

- What class my car is
- If my car satisfies the rollbar requirements (basically if my car is good as-is)

2016 Mazda MX-5 ND (Miata) - stock

Thanks in advance for any help!
-Your car is C Street (CS)
-There are no roll bar requirements in Street classes.
Juan Mauricio
Car#: 202

Post by Juan Mauricio »

Hello. I'm new to this forum and autocross. I pre-registered for the 14-15 Apr practice and Championship event, and I'm really looking forward to it.

I had a question about what vehicle class I should have selected during registration. I will be driving a 2018 Camaro SS 1LE.

On the '8 Easy Steps' page of Solo2.com website, it says to determine your vehicle's class first and that 'newcomers also run in the Novice class.' Do I select one or the other, or is there a way to indicate both Novice AND my vehicle's class (I was thinking CAM-C)?

Thanks!
Juan