Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Post by Rick Brown »

Juan Mauricio wrote:Hello. I'm new to this forum and autocross. I pre-registered for the 14-15 Apr practice and Championship event, and I'm really looking forward to it.

I had a question about what vehicle class I should have selected during registration. I will be driving a 2018 Camaro SS 1LE.

On the '8 Easy Steps' page of Solo2.com website, it says to determine your vehicle's class first and that 'newcomers also run in the Novice class.' Do I select one or the other, or is there a way to indicate both Novice AND my vehicle's class (I was thinking CAM-C)?

Thanks!
Juan
On the page where you select your class, there are two parts, Class and PAX, for class you select Novice, which is an indexed (or PAXed) class, and for PAX you select CAM-C, which adjusts your times relative to others in the class. You can edit your registration in Motorsportreg by logging in and going to your dashboard. If you have any trouble, let me know and I can fix it for you.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Juan Mauricio
Car#: 202

Post by Juan Mauricio »

Very helpful. Looks like it's corrected now. Thank you, Rick!
Reed Gibson
Current CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX

Post by Reed Gibson »

Rick Brown wrote:
Juan Mauricio wrote:Hello. I'm new to this forum and autocross. I pre-registered for the 14-15 Apr practice and Championship event, and I'm really looking forward to it.

I had a question about what vehicle class I should have selected during registration. I will be driving a 2018 Camaro SS 1LE.

On the '8 Easy Steps' page of Solo2.com website, it says to determine your vehicle's class first and that 'newcomers also run in the Novice class.' Do I select one or the other, or is there a way to indicate both Novice AND my vehicle's class (I was thinking CAM-C)?

Thanks!
Juan
On the page where you select your class, there are two parts, Class and PAX, for class you select Novice, which is an indexed (or PAXed) class, and for PAX you select CAM-C, which adjusts your times relative to others in the class. You can edit your registration in Motorsportreg by logging in and going to your dashboard. If you have any trouble, let me know and I can fix it for you.
If you car is mostly stock then the V8 1LE would be in AS (V6 is BS). I know the 2018 hasn't been classed yet but I don't think anyone would mind locally.
Juan Mauricio
Car#: 202

Post by Juan Mauricio »

Hi Reed.

Yes, mine is completely stock. I went ahead and switched to A Street.

Thanks!
Johnny Dy

Post by Johnny Dy »

I'm new to the forum too. Will take note of the details here
nathan vieau

Post by nathan vieau »

1985 VW Golf
1996 GTi VR6 motor/trans/brakes/5lug swap
LSD/HD clutch/light flywheel/close ratio R&P
aftermarket cams/intake/exhaust/chip
KW V1 coilover suspension, aftermarket swaybars/stressbars
no a/c ... no heater
Falken Azenis 205/40/16 tires

thanks!
-Nathan
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Club: CASOC
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

nathan vieau wrote:1985 VW Golf
1996 GTi VR6 motor/trans/brakes/5lug swap
LSD/HD clutch/light flywheel/close ratio R&P
aftermarket cams/intake/exhaust/chip
KW V1 coilover suspension, aftermarket swaybars/stressbars
no a/c ... no heater
Falken Azenis 205/40/16 tires

thanks!
-Nathan
SMF

Did you just bypass the heater or did you remove parts from under the dash?
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
lito ancheta

Post by lito ancheta »

Apologies as this is a cross post. Will be signing up for the May El Toro event and need the car class info.

Driver - Novice
Car - 1992 Miata 1.6
Previous Owner set up - Cold air intake, headers, exhaust. Suspension: Coilovers
Tires: Dunlop Direzza 2

Thank you.

Lito
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

lito ancheta wrote:Apologies as this is a cross post. Will be signing up for the May El Toro event and need the car class info.
Driver - Novice
Car - 1992 Miata 1.6
Previous Owner set up - Cold air intake, headers, exhaust. Suspension: Coilovers
Tires: Dunlop Direzza 2
Thank you.
Lito
As long as these clarifications are meet:
Cold Air Intake - MAF untouched, and no holes have been cut to route air for the cold air intake...
Exhaust - CAT required (100 cell -minimum)
= STS

Tire STS legal...
Direzza 2...
- Direzza ZII Star Spec maybe?
- Older 140 (TW) - technically no, but as a Novice no one will likley care
- current 200 (TW) - Yes
lito ancheta

Post by lito ancheta »

Hi Craig,

Yes MAF is untouched.
Catalytic intact.
Tires are Direzza z2 Star Spec
Treadwear 200

STS class it is.

Thank you.
Matt Trainham

Post by Matt Trainham »

Hey all -

Have a fun one to bring out this weekend: 2019 Hyundai Veloster N, Performance Pack.

All stock, except for RE71's on a base model 18" wheel.

Car is OE equipped with the 2.0 turbo, 275HP, 6-spd manual, FWD, eLSD, active suspension (strut front, multilink rear).

I expect it to eventually get classed in G Street, as it's closest in performance (a little over) the best-equipped VW GTI's, but not quite as fast as the new Civic Type R (D Street) or Golf R / Focus RS.

For the time being - GS, or take the Hyundai-NOC in HS?

Honestly, not after points - we're running the car in multiple events like this to test for any potential issues that didn't show up early in proto stage, and work out setup combinations for different uses.

Looking forward to meeting everyone Sunday @ El Toro!
Reed Gibson

Post by Reed Gibson »

Matt Trainham wrote:Hey all -

Have a fun one to bring out this weekend: 2019 Hyundai Veloster N, Performance Pack.

Car is OE equipped with the 2.0 turbo, 275HP, 6-spd manual, FWD, eLSD, active suspension (strut front, multilink rear).

I expect it to eventually get classed in G Street, as it's closest in performance (a little over) the best-equipped VW GTI's, but not quite as fast as the new Civic Type R (D Street) or Golf R / Focus RS.

Honestly, not after points - we're running the car in multiple events like this to test for any potential issues that didn't show up early in proto stage, and work out setup combinations for different uses.

Because it's not yet classed your best bet is just to run CST. There are only a few GS drivers signed up for Sunday so you could run with them as long as they're OK with it.
Sean Fenstermacher
Car#: 81

Post by Sean Fenstermacher »

Matt Trainham wrote:Hey all -

G-Street would be safe start as the 2017 Veloster Turbo Rally Edition is also there.
If you do plan to consistently autocross the car, you might want to shoot a quick letter to request classing http://www.sebscca.com :)
M TRAINHAM

Post by M TRAINHAM »

Thanks guys - registered for GS, looking forward to Sunday and seeing how the car does (and knocking the cobwebs off myself).

Will follow up on a classing request, too - thanks Sean!
Paul Osorio

Post by Paul Osorio »

Hey guys. Name is Paul, nice to meet you all. I had my first event but signed up as a novice.

I'm signing up for the June 9-10th in Del Toro at Irvine, but i'm not sure what to class my car.

Both cars are same same but different and I'd like to take both out to different events.

First is a 2000 Mitsubishi Mirage

-Bone stock 4g93 1.8 NA motor (so slow T_T )
Only "engine" modification would be a Mishimoto Radiator I intalled for better cooling
-
Suspension
Stock shocks on some H&R lowering springs.
Stock front & rear sway bars
Front and rear strut bars
Stock brakes
15x7.5 on 205/50 Federal RS-RR

Other car is a 1997 Mitsubishi Mirage

4g64 2.4 engine swap. The block/head is stock.
Koyo Radiator
DIY CAI intake
-10 an fitting/catch can
Header/ exhaust

-Suspension
BC Racing coilovers
Factory front sway bar, aftermarket rear sway bar

Brakes
-eclipse twin pot front calipers, and matching rotors.

Wheels are 15x7.5 205/50 Federal RS-RR

Thanks for the help

EDIT: was reading through the rulebook. Saw the Mirage listed under HS class? Are mine too modified to be in this?
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

Paul Osorio wrote: First is a 2000 Mitsubishi Mirage

-Bone stock 4g93 1.8 NA motor (so slow T_T )
Only "engine" modification would be a Mishimoto Radiator I intalled for better cooling
-
Suspension
Stock shocks on some H&R lowering springs.
Stock front & rear sway bars
Stock brakes
15x7.5 on 205/50 Federal RS-RR
The radiator, lowering springs, and strut bars put you into the Street Touring category. I think it falls under the "Not Otherwise Classed" section of the STS class
“Catch-all”: Sedans & Coupes NOC (nonsports-car-based; 4-seat minimum; up to 3.1L normally-aspirated)

This assumes the radiator meets the requirements listed in 14.10.L (equivalent or larger/heavier than stock) https://www.scca.com/pages/solo-cars-and-rules
Paul Osorio wrote: Other car is a 1997 Mitsubishi Mirage
4g64 2.4 engine swap. The block/head is stock.
Koyo Radiator
DIY CAI intake
-10 an fitting/catch can
Header/ exhaust

-Suspension
BC Racing coilovers
Factory front sway bar, aftermarket rear sway bar

Brakes
-eclipse twin pot front calipers, and matching rotors.

Wheels are 15x7.5 205/50 Federal RS-RR
The engine swap in this one puts you up into Street Modified. Generally, Front wheel drive cars go to SMF, 4+ seat cars go into SM and 2 seat cars go into SSM.

Locally, CST "California Street Touring" is always a good catch all class where you can have fun.
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Paul,

Based on the mods you performed, neither technically belong in Street. Your safest bet from a classing standpoint is to run in CST, but don't expect to come out on the podium there as the competitors can be quite fast.

Your other option may be STS, under the catch-all in the rules. The car with the swapped engine didn't have that exact model of engine in it originally, correct? So it's not legal there. Technically it'd be Street Modified, but CST would be a better option for you. Alternatively you could talk with the STS crowd and see if they're okay with you running with them.

Here's the STS catch-all verbiage in the 2018 rule book, available on the SCCA website if you scroll down the page here - https://www.scca.com/pages/solo-cars-and-rules:

“Catch-all”:
Sedans & Coupes NOC (non- sports-car-based; 4-seat minimum; up to 3.1L normally-aspirated)

Mike
Eyezack87
Car#: 24

Post by Eyezack87 »

STS crowd is super chill and wont care (I'm still proof of that lol). Given that myself and the Mazdaspeed3 is in the same class due to STF being phased out, it would be some friendly competition among ourselves. Glad you're coming back Paul. Try not to follow the rabbit too far into the rabbit hole :lol:
Isaac Lam
Blue 2010 STF Camry LE
Black 2001 ES MR2 Spyder (co-driver)
Paul Osorio

Post by Paul Osorio »

:D thanks for all the advice you guys, and yea it's tough not too. So much fun :lol: i did crack one of my wheels at the last event tho. T_T

One last question. When does one stop signing up as novice? Is it after your first event or??
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Paul Osorio wrote: One last question. When does one stop signing up as novice? Is it after your first event or??
Novice is optional. You don't have to run there at all. Kinda depends on where you are at when you first start. If you are winning, there is a year end award and it only takes 6 events instead of 10+ for regular classes.

NOVICE (NOV) and NOVICE LADIES (NOVL)
A. Purpose of this class: To encourage new members/competitors to participate in autocross
and be introduced into the community in a class structured for their needs. Also, to allow
them to sharpen their skills without being discouraged by “getting their doors blown off”
by more experienced drivers.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Paul Osorio

Post by Paul Osorio »

Rick Brown wrote:
Paul Osorio wrote: One last question. When does one stop signing up as novice? Is it after your first event or??
Novice is optional. You don't have to run there at all. Kinda depends on where you are at when you first start. If you are winning, there is a year end award and it only takes 6 events instead of 10+ for regular classes.

NOVICE (NOV) and NOVICE LADIES (NOVL)
A. Purpose of this class: To encourage new members/competitors to participate in autocross
and be introduced into the community in a class structured for their needs. Also, to allow
them to sharpen their skills without being discouraged by “getting their doors blown off”
by more experienced drivers.
Gotcha. Thanks :)
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Hello,

This is my first event. I'm not sure if it's open to novice drivers, but I'm looking to attend and register for the weekend of July 21/22 at El Toro.

I need help in figuring out what class my car would fall under if I am able to attend. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe I would fall under the D Street class (DS).

The car is a 13' Subaru BRZ. Everything is stock except for these modifications.

Tires: Michelin PSS (215/45R17)
Engine: Tomei Header, Perrin Exhaust, K&N Drop in filter

Thanks for your help!
Reed Gibson

Post by Reed Gibson »

Hugo wrote:Hello,

This is my first event. I'm not sure if it's open to novice drivers, but I'm looking to attend and register for the weekend of July 21/22 at El Toro.

I need help in figuring out what class my car would fall under if I am able to attend. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe I would fall under the D Street class (DS).

The car is a 13' Subaru BRZ. Everything is stock except for these modifications.

Thanks for your help!
Your header bumps you out of the street category but no one locally will probably mind. Otherwise you can always run CST (our anything goes 200TW street tire class)!
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director
Car#: 436

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

Hugo wrote: This is my first event. I'm not sure if it's open to novice drivers, but I'm looking to attend and register for the weekend of July 21/22 at El Toro.
Hey Hugo,

Welcome to Cal Club SCCA Autocross! We are absolutely open to novice drivers! Come on out and join the fun. We have lots of great folks that will be glad to "show you the ropes!" Go ahead and sign up for the event. Let the registration folks on site know you're new and they'll get you pointed in the right direction. We also have instructors that are glad to help you get around those first few laps, and our novice coordinator does a very informative novice track walk (full of speed secrets...a must attend item for anybody interested in going faster!). If you need a helmet, we have free loaners available as well. Arrive early, get signed in, get your car tech'd, walk course, and make sure you attend the driver's meeting (they'll cover all the safety stuff, rules and what's expected when you do your work assignment).

Also, you're more than welcome to bring your friends (family, significant others, etc.). No charge to come and watch. We also allow passengers to ride along (again no charge), so feel free to bring friends/family....or hang out in grid with a helmet and ask if you can ride along with one of our experienced drivers (an awesome way to learn....and get a chance to ride in some pretty cool cars).

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Randy G.
SCCA Certifications: Solo Safety Steward, Flagging and Communications
http://CorvetteNews.com/
Justin Lanza

Post by Justin Lanza »

Hello,

I need help getting crazy bulk in figuring out what class my car would fall under if I am able to attend. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe I would fall under the D Street class (DS).

Thanks for your help!
If I somehow managed to contend what class would I be in? I found it and my auto fit the road arranged classification on the spot aside from the interior motor redesign. My motor is stock (94 Mazda rx-7 1.3L wankel) aside from I have a gentle road port. 8-)
Last edited by Justin Lanza on Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.