Page 39 of 40

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:42 pm
by Ed Wang
Hey all, just wanted to make sure I classed my car correctly before I show up to my first AutoX event. I drive a 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 (2.3T) with some basic mods:

Autotech HPFP Internals
Corksport Short Ram Intake
HKS Catback Exhaust
KW V1 Coilovers
JBR Rear & Passenger Side Motor Mounts
OEM Spin-On Oil Filter Conversion Kit
SPC Rear Camber Arms
18x8.5 +25 Wheels (Stock are 18x7)
215/40R18 Hankook Ventus V12 (OEM are 215/45)

My understanding is that this setup would place me in STX. Can anyone give me a quick verification? Thanks a bunch! :D

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:36 pm
by Garrett Johnsen
Hello,

Sunday, July 9th will be my first ever autocross event. I have a 99' Mazda Miata. Car is mostly stock except it has coilovers, wheels, and a roll bar. It currently has garbage all season tires on it. What class should I be running in? Thank you!

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:52 pm
by Ryan Doherty
Hello!

I have a street legal registered 1984 Corvette with stock suspension, numbers matching engine bored to 355 and Contiental Extreme Contact tires. The curveball is an exceptionally large weight reduction - the body has been removed and the car is caged. I would appreciate understanding what class this fits into and if no class works, could I still attend practice days?

Thanks,
Ryan

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:53 pm
by Douglas Kerr
Michael Palero wrote:Post your Car Classing questions here! We'll class your car!


Hello. I am new to autocross, and I can't find an answer to my car class. I have a Fiat 500e. I note that the base Fiat 500 is excluded due to stability issues. The 500e is an electric vehicle with a 600+ pound battery pack a foot above the ground. The 500e certainly is not a base 500. But, then again, it is not a 500 Abarth, which is allowed under the SCCA rules. So we have a conundrum given that the lowest 500 is excluded, but the fast Abarth is allowed.

As Car & Driver in a comparison of electric cars notes, "The 500e was quickest through the slalom thanks to its racier Firestone tires, fast steering, and tight roll control." There is no stability issue with the 500e given the ballast of a 600 lb battery.

Please let me know if the Fiat 500e is allowed at the event, and what class it may be placed, in addition to novice.

Thanks, Doug

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:11 am
by Eric Wong
Hello, I'm also new to autocross and have a new 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV LT.

It has a 900+ lb battery on the floor and the lead designer is an SCCA racer.

It looks like it's already done autocrossing in Michigan:
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/opinio ... 102600828/

Mine is nearly stock, except I replaced both front 215/50 R17 tires after damaging one on a pothole and upsized to 225/50 R17 (still using the OE wheel) to reduce the probability of further curb/pothole damage.

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:06 am
by Eric Wong
Answering my own question on the Bolt EV and Douglas Kerr's on the 500e, I guess we're in EL (Electric Stock):
http://solo2.com/supp_regs/SCCA_Cal_Clu ... s_2013.pdf
And I guess we can both enter the Novice class, too. I'm very likely to sign up and show up for my first autocross in Irvine this Saturday.

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:43 am
by Manny Parra
I'm totally new to auto crossing and need help classifying my car, I have a 2016 subaru Sti. I am currently running coilover, rear control arms, and aftermarket rear sway bar with wider wheels. The rest are the stock components.

What should I chose when signing up for the practice day?

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:59 pm
by David Watson
Hi,

I am looking to get started in So. Cal, Fontana and El Toro. My car is currently;

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Base (V6)
Added; tubular subframe connectors and shock tower brace
poly trans mount
4th Gen Camaro SS wheels; 17" x 9.5" with 275/40/17 tires
Stock sway bars from a same year Z28 Camaro (V8)
EBC Yellow and Hawk HP5 brake pads

I am looking to make the following upgrades in the near future;
New boxed rear control arms with rubber or poly bushings
adjustable tubular panhard bar with one steel and one poly bushing
~1" drop springs of significantly greater rate
adjustable performance dampers

Thanks for your attention, hope to see you in Fontana Oct. 22.

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:04 pm
by Craig Naylor
Douglas Kerr wrote:Please let me know if the Fiat 500e is allowed at the event, and what class it may be placed, in addition to novice. Thanks, Doug


Your argument makes sense regarding the lower center of gravity, unfortunately the Fiat 500 (non Arbath) is excluded.

Back to the validity of your argument, being the the center of gravity is lower than the 500, I would suggest contacting the National office (Doug Gill), and presenting your case.

Your other option is STF... but you would need to demonstrate you have upgraded the suspension to compensate... such as coilovers, and reduced ride height.

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:28 pm
by Craig Naylor
Eric Wong wrote:Hello, I'm also new to autocross and have a new 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV LT.


Link to the Bolt running an event in Detriot aside, the Bolt has been added to the rollover exclusion list in the July 2017 Fastrack

https://www.scca.com/downloads/22596-17 ... o/download

#21981 Classification?
Per the SAC, the Chevy Bolt does not meet the rollover requirements in 3.1.a and therefore is not eligible for Solo competition.

Craig

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:32 am
by Eric Wong
Craig Naylor wrote:Link to the Bolt running an event in Detriot aside, the Bolt has been added to the rollover exclusion list in the July 2017 Fastrack

https://www.scca.com/downloads/22596-17 ... o/download

#21981 Classification?
Per the SAC, the Chevy Bolt does not meet the rollover requirements in 3.1.a and therefore is not eligible for Solo competition.


Shucks. Per Chevy http://www.chevrolet.com/byo-vc/client/ ... One=388584

The track width is 59.1", and the height is 62.9", which makes it 1.064:1, worse than the 1:1 recommended in 3.1.a:
https://dk1xgl0d43mu1.cloudfront.net/us ... s-1-12.pdf

However, did the SCCA take the low center of gravity into account? I expect the Static Stability Factor (SSF) to be better than 1.30 due to the 949 lb. battery on the floor of a 3580 lb. vehicle. I haven't calculated the center of gravity height on the Bolt since it is difficult. I lack scales and solid shock replacements: http://www.longacreracing.com/technical ... item=42586

For what it's worth, every review of the Bolt seems to mention it's low center of gravity: https://www.google.com/search?q=Chevy+Bolt+"center+of+gravity"

Anyways I'm a total newbie, haven't joined the SCCA yet and the Bolt is my only car, so it's a chicken-and-egg problem. Can I appeal as a non-member?
Thanks.

Anyways, I've already made plans to be a spectator this Saturday and paid $60 for Sunday; I'll see about getting a refund if an appeal can't be made for the Bolt.

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:25 am
by Kyle Rahill
Michael Palero wrote:Post your Car Classing questions here! We'll class your car!

Link to Rulebook: SCCA rules


I have a four cylinder 1998 toyota camry. As I understand the rules I am in "street". However, I do not understand what the letters are for i.e. A Street, B Street.

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:12 am
by rmgibson
Kyle Rahill wrote:
Michael Palero wrote:Post your Car Classing questions here! We'll class your car!

Link to Rulebook: SCCA rules


I have a four cylinder 1998 toyota camry. As I understand the rules I am in "street". However, I do not understand what the letters are for i.e. A Street, B Street.


Appendix A would be what you're looking for. A quick search for Camry shows that you would be in H-street.

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:18 am
by rmgibson
David Watson wrote:Hi,

I am looking to get started in So. Cal, Fontana and El Toro. My car is currently;

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Base (V6)
Added; tubular subframe connectors and shock tower brace
poly trans mount
4th Gen Camaro SS wheels; 17" x 9.5" with 275/40/17 tires
Stock sway bars from a same year Z28 Camaro (V8)
EBC Yellow and Hawk HP5 brake pads

I am looking to make the following upgrades in the near future;
New boxed rear control arms with rubber or poly bushings
adjustable tubular panhard bar with one steel and one poly bushing
~1" drop springs of significantly greater rate
adjustable performance dampers

Thanks for your attention, hope to see you in Fontana Oct. 22.


It looks like some of your mods (V8 swap parts) may bump you out of running in F-Street. I'd recommend reading through the rules and seeing what class you'd be most competitive in. Luckily for muscle cars you have the option of running in one of the Classic American Muscle (CAM) classes where the rules are much more open. Street Touring Pony may also work...

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:46 pm
by David Watson
Hi,

the rulebook seems to preclude suspension components with spherical joints for most classes, are they permissable in CAM- C?


Thanks.

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:41 pm
by Rick Brown
David Watson wrote:Hi,

the rulebook seems to preclude suspension components with spherical joints for most classes, are they permissable in CAM- C?


Thanks.

From the SCCA Solo Rules, Appendix B - CAM:
"Brake, Suspension, and Steering System Allowances
• Components, lines, hoses, and method of attachment are unrestricted."

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:27 pm
by Dan Duran
Can you guys help me? The past few sundays I've raced under CST, but I feel I maybe should be under STU? What do you guys think?

2015 STI
Coilovers
Front strut bar
9.5 wide wheels
Tbe
Re71r's
Accessport

Please help as I'm trying to finalize registration for this weekend. Thanks!

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:40 am
by Rick Brown
Dan Duran wrote:Can you guys help me? The past few sundays I've raced under CST, but I feel I maybe should be under STU? What do you guys think?

2015 STI
Coilovers
Front strut bar
9.5 wide wheels
Tbe
Re71r's
Accessport

Please help as I'm trying to finalize registration for this weekend. Thanks!

FYI for everyone, note that you can always edit your registration after you register online. If you are unsure about classing or even what car you will drive, go ahead and register by Saturday night the week before the event to get the early discount, then update your info if necessary. This can be done up to midnight Friday prior to the event.

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:39 pm
by Dan Duran
Rick Brown wrote:
Dan Duran wrote:Can you guys help me? The past few sundays I've raced under CST, but I feel I maybe should be under STU? What do you guys think?

2015 STI
Coilovers
Front strut bar
9.5 wide wheels
Tbe
Re71r's
Accessport

Please help as I'm trying to finalize registration for this weekend. Thanks!

FYI for everyone, note that you can always edit your registration after you register online. If you are unsure about classing or even what car you will drive, go ahead and register by Saturday night the week before the event to get the early discount, then update your info if necessary. This can be done up to midnight Friday prior to the event.



Hey Rick. That's great info, I didn't know so that helps me out. Any Input on classing question with my current mods? Thanks!

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:51 pm
by rmgibson
Dan Duran wrote:
Rick Brown wrote:
Dan Duran wrote:Can you guys help me? The past few sundays I've raced under CST, but I feel I maybe should be under STU? What do you guys think?

2015 STI
Coilovers
Front strut bar
9.5 wide wheels
Tbe
Re71r's
Accessport

Please help as I'm trying to finalize registration for this weekend. Thanks!

FYI for everyone, note that you can always edit your registration after you register online. If you are unsure about classing or even what car you will drive, go ahead and register by Saturday night the week before the event to get the early discount, then update your info if necessary. This can be done up to midnight Friday prior to the event.



Hey Rick. That's great info, I didn't know so that helps me out. Any Input on classing question with my current mods? Thanks!



Take a look at the following link under Street Touring https://www.scca.com/pages/solo-cars-and-rules. Your car seems to be STU but it won't be hard to read through and double check. See you out there!

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:41 pm
by Edgar Mendoza
New to AutoX, I just want to make sure I am supposed to be in the STR class?
I have a 2016 miata, lowered on springs, with 17x9 wheels and 245/40/17 toyo proxes R1R.

Thanks guys,
Edgar

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:46 pm
by rmgibson
Edgar Mendoza wrote:New to AutoX, I just want to make sure I am supposed to be in the STR class?
I have a 2016 miata, lowered on springs, with 17x9 wheels and 245/40/17 toyo proxes R1R.

Thanks guys,
Edgar


Yes

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:08 pm
by Gregg Hoyle
First of all....thanks for your help!

I have a 1971 Mini Cooper
Engine changed to a larger but factory available for that year Mini.
Exhaust Header
Added wheel flares
Stock size wheels with offset to increase tire footprint width slightly
Yokohama A008 tires
Interior stripped except for (2) front seats
4 point Roll bar (2 mid points, 2 rear points)
Adjustable Coil spring replacement with ride height adjustment in place of rubber cone suspension
Front disc brakes replacing drum brakes
Rear adjustable sway bar

I think that the above would put me in Street Prepared

I want to add camber caster to the front by using negative caster arms and adjustable tie rods for caster/toe in adjustment. Would this addition put me in Street Modified?

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:59 am
by Anthony Porta
Gregg Hoyle wrote:First of all....thanks for your help!

I have a 1971 Mini Cooper
Engine changed to a larger but factory available for that year Mini.
Exhaust Header
Added wheel flares
Stock size wheels with offset to increase tire footprint width slightly
Yokohama A008 tires
Interior stripped except for (2) front seats
4 point Roll bar (2 mid points, 2 rear points)
Adjustable Coil spring replacement with ride height adjustment in place of rubber cone suspension
Front disc brakes replacing drum brakes
Rear adjustable sway bar

I think that the above would put me in Street Prepared

I want to add camber caster to the front by using negative caster arms and adjustable tie rods for caster/toe in adjustment. Would this addition put me in Street Modified?


Nationally because of the gutted interior that would put you in at least E-Prepared.
Locally you could run CST- if you put on 140 tw tires or CSM if you would like to run your current tires.

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:09 pm
by Gregg Hoyle
Anthony Porta wrote:
Gregg Hoyle wrote:First of all....thanks for your help!

I have a 1971 Mini Cooper
Engine changed to a larger but factory available for that year Mini.
Exhaust Header
Added wheel flares
Stock size wheels with offset to increase tire footprint width slightly
Yokohama A008 tires
Interior stripped except for (2) front seats
4 point Roll bar (2 mid points, 2 rear points)
Adjustable Coil spring replacement with ride height adjustment in place of rubber cone suspension
Front disc brakes replacing drum brakes
Rear adjustable sway bar

I think that the above would put me in Street Prepared

I want to add camber caster to the front by using negative caster arms and adjustable tie rods for caster/toe in adjustment. Would this addition put me in Street Modified?


Nationally because of the gutted interior that would put you in at least E-Prepared.
Locally you could run CST- if you put on 140 tw tires or CSM if you would like to run your current tires.


Thanks Anthony, if I add a basic interior will that put me back into Street Prepared?