The "I'm New Here" Thread!

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Jeff Nucum

Re: The "I'm New Here" Thread!

Post by Jeff Nucum »

Hi I'm new here! I'm a 5th year college student at the local college UCI and finishing my majors in computer science and biomedical engineering and I work part time as a web developer.

I've had my 2000 Miata for about a year and have done a few autocrosses in fontana with speedventures as well as some track days in willow springs in HTM and Streets with my UCI imports club.

I found site through google and have been lurking around and seeing how to get into the events on the calendar but i keep getting confused :? . I would like to find a club or group since i'll be graduating and i won't be involved with my schools club anymore.

looking around i had some difficulty in these:
1. I'm still not sure how to sign up for the practice event the 28th and would much like to compete in the event in march 1.
2. I am currently not an SCCA member and was interested in the weekend pass to get my feet wet but i couldn't find the registration online for it.
3. I saw the ad for the EVO driving school this weekend and i was wondering which class to take since i've had only a little bit of track/autox experience.
4. How do i join a club? i found the club listings but when/where can i meet each one?
Giovanni Jaramillo
Club: PSCC

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Jeff Nucum wrote:looking around i had some difficulty in these:

1. I'm still not sure how to sign up for the practice event the 28th and would much like to compete in the event in march 1.
2. I am currently not an SCCA member and was interested in the weekend pass to get my feet wet but i couldn't find the registration online for it.
3. I saw the ad for the EVO driving school this weekend and i was wondering which class to take since i've had only a little bit of track/autox experience.
4. How do i join a club? i found the club listings but when/where can i meet each one?
Welcome Jeff. I'll quickly answer your questions
  • 1. Practice entries in general are at the sole discretion of the hosting club. Sometimes it's for members only and if and only if they don't fill up they open it up to the general public, depending upon the club. In that case you have to read the flyer to see what the guidelines are as far as who can get in.
  • 2. There is no online registration for SCCA weekend memberships. That is done on-site only.
  • 3. I suggest taking Phase I for the Evo schools.
  • 4. As for clubs you join when you purchase a points card. As for which one, well you read the info for each one but basically you'll end up meeting new people and then the following year you can switch to a club where all your friends are. In the mean time feel free to e-mail any of the club reps and ask for info about their club.
Examples:
  • GRA - lots of Corvettes
  • Team BLEW - Lots of Subarus
  • SCNAX - lots of compact cars
  • SVTOA - lots of Fords
  • etc....
In general most new members that are unsure join No$ (No Buck$ - meaning, No meetings, No Dues - No problem!).
Jeff Nucum

Post by Jeff Nucum »

Thanks!
i also signed up for the Evo hole shot for Friday 3/27 but i probably won't be able to make it to the practice event on the 28th since the UCI carshow is on the same day. I'm planning on signing up for the event on March 1st however and i hope to meet a few member there.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Jeff Nucum wrote:Thanks!
i also signed up for the Evo hole shot for Friday 3/27 but i probably won't be able to make it to the practice event on the 28th since the UCI carshow is on the same day. I'm planning on signing up for the event on March 1st however and i hope to meet a few member there.
Are you running the ProSolo?
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Jeff Nucum

Post by Jeff Nucum »

i would like to but i'm not sure where my skills are at for head to head competition. I'm hoping the next couple of events give me a some headway.
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

I think Team Blew has more Miata's then Suby's now! ... Seb/Shauna, Steve Collins, Karen and I, Max and Rosie, Andrew Bingham, Patty Wang ... well not quite. :?
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Jeff Nucum wrote:i would like to but i'm not sure where my skills are at for head to head competition. I'm hoping the next couple of events give me a some headway.
Reason I asked is that the Evo Hole Shot school on the 27th is for novice ProSolo competitors running that weekend's event. Phase 1 is what you're looking for.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

I'll see you at the hole shot, if you're going. You can't miss me...I'm in the big a$$ white G35 sedan. I call him Moby. Welcome!
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Jeff Nucum

Post by Jeff Nucum »

^^ i used to have a 350z and its a such a fatty compared to the Miata, still a very fun car.
I slept on it and i might as well sign up. even if i don't do good it'll be a good experience.

So i can't sign up for the pscc championship event on march 1st i'm guessing since i'm not in that club?
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Jeff Nucum wrote:^^
So i can't sign up for the pscc championship event on march 1st i'm guessing since i'm not in that club?
Championships are open to everyone, it's practices that are restricted by the host clubs.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Giovanni Jaramillo

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Rick Brown wrote:
Jeff Nucum wrote:^^
Championships are open to everyone, it's practices that are restricted by the host clubs.
One reason is because practices you get 10-12+ runs and thus limits the number of entries.
Championships it's 3 runs that count, thus you can have many more people and people are coming and going as some classes run in the morning, others in the afternoon. Though in the good ol' days, we'd have 250-300 people throughout the day. Nowadays it's about half that.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Jeff Nucum wrote:^^ i used to have a 350z and its a such a fatty compared to the Miata, still a very fun car.
I slept on it and i might as well sign up. even if i don't do good it'll be a good experience.

Are you saying you might sign up for the Pro Solo?

That is a national event. You would need to be an SCCA annual member. No weekend memberships allowed there. Its a pretty serious event, and more complicated than a normal autocross. The Evo Hole shot school would make it possible to do since it trains people new to Pro solo on the format, but I would probably suggest walking before you run underwater in the deep end.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Jeff:

3 race runs Plus X runs where you don't have to work a 2nd shift, on Race Sundays.

There might also still be openings with the Porsche Auto Cross at El Toro this weekend. Look for the Porsche thread ....

Plus a lot of us also run in San Diego: http://www.sdr-scca.com/solo2/schedule/
Jeff Nucum

Post by Jeff Nucum »

thanks for the heads up on the Porsche club practice!

I considered running the prosolo since i got excited reading the "my first prosolo" on the front page. By the time i saw the entree fee was only 95 for the early registration i was sold.

However,I just checked my calendar and i'm due to go to Buttonwillow for that weekend for a track event, and unless i can get credited at speedventures i probably would have to skip on the prosolo event. I'm e-mailing them as of now.

And on the annual membership i'd gladly join, i just want to make sure this is the direction i want to head to. I was leaning more on the weekend membership to try things out on the practices on the calendar. I mean compared to a school club that goes to track days every 3 months, this seems much more mature and more on the competitive side of things.

thanks for all the comments, I've got alot to learn :)
Jeff Nucum

Post by Jeff Nucum »

Just signed up for the porsche practice. hope to see some of you there!