Driver Improvement Resources

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Driver Improvement Resources

Post by Kurt Rahn »

In the course of doing my son's physics project (or maybe I should call it my physics project :lol: ), I've been looking for online resources that explain the basics of driving strategies, vehicle dynamics, etc. I've compiled a relatively good list of resources, but there are quite a few I've run across in the past (and failed to bookmark, like an idiot) and can't find anymore. In particular, there was a site that had a whole section on vehicle dynamics, with very good lay-person explanations and great illustrations for each concept. Ring a bell? Anyone got other sites they like?

Also, I was thinking this might be a good sticky for the noob section after people have submitted enough resources to justify it.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Re: Driver Improvement Resources

Post by Rick Brown »

Kurt Rahn wrote:In the course of doing my son's physics project (or maybe I should call it my physics project :lol: ), I've been looking for online resources that explain the basics of driving strategies, vehicle dynamics, etc. I've compiled a relatively good list of resources, but there are quite a few I've run across in the past (and failed to bookmark, like an idiot) and can't find anymore. In particular, there was a site that had a whole section on vehicle dynamics, with very good lay-person explanations and great illustrations for each concept. Ring a bell? Anyone got other sites they like?

Also, I was thinking this might be a good sticky for the noob section after people have submitted enough resources to justify it.
Well if you don't already have it, Brian Beckman's Physics of Racing series is excellent: http://phors.locost7.info/contents.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I may have been one of the first to publish it when I was the newsletter editor. I was publishing them as he wrote them if I recall.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Steve Collins
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 799

Post by Steve Collins »

Brilliant!
Thanks
Joel Payne
Club: CASOC
Car#: 311

Post by Joel Payne »

I really enjoyed the book "Going Faster: The Art of Race Car Driving" which is put out by the Skip Barber racing school. You should be able to find it at Amazon and quite of few of the bigger bookstores...
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Amazon Used Books are an excellent way to go. Everyone that I get is in practically new condition for a fraction of the price
David Crandon

Post by David Crandon »

Not to resurect a dead thread, but...

This was an excellent online source of the physics of racing:

http://www.getfaster.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;