Whats the best cheap used car to buy for AutoCross?

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Bob Beamesderfer
Club: PSCC

Re: Whats the best cheap used car to buy for AutoCross?

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Cam Correa wrote:I was actually surprised to see only one MR2 at this past event. Image
The Clements, or some of them, are in Topeka. Theo, who runs E-Stock wasn't there either. Some events, there'll be a few 2nd gen and a couple of 1st gen cars.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Cheap autox cars.

I really like a ES 2nd gen MR2's. But there has been that talk for a while now about the demise of ES.
Advantage of the ES miata is the ability to dive into STS2 which is a fun class.
1st gen MR2 sucks in stock classing. But is sts2 legal. Nobody I know good has built one, but I would think it would do great????

88-91 CRX Si for sts2
89-91 civic Si for HS then build to STS

Subie N/A sedans for HS
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

The MR2 that I drove on Sunday had a roof with a pop-out sunroof. It was so low that I couldn't sit in my desired position. with a helmet on ... I had to move the seat back further then I liked. Some classes would allow you to add a lowered racing seat.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Was that a first gen MR2? I fit fit fine if I remember right in the Clements old black and blue car (2nd gen).
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Yeah ... first gen
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

The reason you only saw one was that a lot of people were at Nationals. The Clements drive one that I know of, and I seem to recall one or two others. It's a great car, but I found out driving with Jeff last weekend that they're made for people under 6' tall. My head literally was 4" out of the sunroof.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Robert Puertas
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

Kurt, you'd probably fit better in a 1st gen. They are very roomy.
Also, a CRX is a surprisingly roomy car.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

? ... see my posts above
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Robert Puertas wrote:Kurt, you'd probably fit better in a 1st gen. They are very roomy.

I'm thinking really seriously about a CRX -- working up the courage to spring it on my wife while we're on vacation as a matter of fact. I had a '92 Civic si, and with a floor mounted racing seat (in STS2) I'd have plenty of room wearing a helmet.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Jeff Shyu
Car#: 0

Post by Jeff Shyu »

the best cheap car would be if someone can get this 91 NA MR2 out of my garage.. >_<
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

I think that the top car for the relatively new STS2 class will eventually be a CRX Si. They make as much power as the Miata, but weigh less, maybe as much as a hundred pounds less (but I'm not sure). I think the MR2 weighs more than both of them.

STS2 Miatas are super fun to drive though and they should handle better than the CRX because they are correct wheel drive as opposed to right-front wheel drive. ;)

Andy Hollis built a Miata for STS2 and many others have followed his lead, check out the story on Grassroots Motorsports.http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/projec ... sts-miata/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Sebastian Rios wrote:I think that the top car for the relatively new STS2 class will eventually be a CRX Si. They make as much power as the Miata, but weigh less, maybe as much as a hundred pounds less (but I'm not sure). I think the MR2 weighs more than both of them.

STS2 Miatas are super fun to drive though and they should handle better than the CRX because they are correct wheel drive as opposed to right-front wheel drive. ;)

Andy Hollis built a Miata for STS2 and many others have followed his lead, check out the story on Grassroots Motorsports.http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/projec ... sts-miata/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The 2nd Gen CRX is the one to have because of the suspension. Unfortunately, the higher-output engines didn't come to the States, so you're looking at 108 hp for the '89-'91 models. Japan got one with a 170 hp VTEC engine. The legality of that engine in Solo would be limited to classes in which the car would be at a severe disadvantage.
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Cam Correa wrote:I was actually surprised to see only one MR2 at this past event. Image
there were at least three at the saturday practice. one of each generation.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Robert Puertas wrote:Kurt, you'd probably fit better in a 1st gen. They are very roomy.
Side to side that is. The 2nd gens are very 'cockpit'-ish. Vertically the 1st gens can be a challenge. The T tops with top in place are nearly impossible with a helmet on. The hard tops depend on how you ride. Mine are both hardtops and I like to sit very upright, so I was right on the roof at 5'6", but I adjusted pretty simply and have no issues now.

I rode up from San Diego with Puertes. There was no passengars seat intalled, so it was increadibly 'roomy' :-)

Jay W
Jeff Ringer
Car#: 741

Post by Jeff Ringer »

1st gen sts2 or one with the supercharge swap in dp? not sure the class

i find much more fun to be in a lightweight sports car on autox or small tracks .. there is also something about no power steering or abs brakes - though sometimes no abs is super annoying ..

pic up jasons car if you can fit which you probably can with the right seat....he also probably has many parts you would want.. a hard top would be nice

when and if estock is killed for mr2's there will probably be a new semi competative class for it

yes a vette would be bad ass but with entry cost , tires, and gas might be more then you want to spend.. with that being said i would think its more advantageous to learn the sport on a lower power 'momentum' type car

if you want to tinker with older cars sometimes you can find old datsun 510, toyota starlets, fiat x19's, 240z, rx7's for 4-6k prepared..

ok im rambling
my middle name is 'The'

previous vehicles:83 chevette scooter-84 chrysler laser tubro-86 gti -93 probe gt-91 944s2 - 00 gti 1.8t-86 325e-89 325i-90 xj6- 67 lemans 4 speed -98 bmw m3/4/5
Jayson Woodruff

Jeff Ringer wrote:...or one with the supercharge swap in dp? not sure the class..
Supercharger swap is legal in CSP now if you do it right. Rule book might still list NA and SC on seperate lines, but they were combined with a 'Errors and Ommissions' bulliton.

Jay W
Cam Correa
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 306

Post by Cam Correa »

Hi guys, Long time no post. :computer:
I might actually finally be getting myself a '91 Miata....?
I'm not 100% that I will buy it, but about 90%.
The guy want's $1,500.00 for it & claims it runs great.

Here's a few pictures he text me, I wanted to see what you guys think.

I wonder as the car sits what Class would it fit in?
I'm only considering buying it so I can get back into AX with a car that's better suited for it than the Mustang I was running before.
I still don't want to spend a lot of money & wanna have fun cheap.
But wonder if its current mods will bump me into a class this newbie ( Me ;) ) will not be able to keep up with?

I'm told it has a 100% stock drive train & yet the car has been lowered & has:
Adjustable shocks
Slotted rotors
Stainless brake lines
TWS chrome rims 16"

Will these mods push me into spending a bunch more money to keep up with what ever class it best fits?
Or force me to start removing stuff to make it more stock?
http://www.Class3Racing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.TheWebWheeler.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cam Correa

Post by Cam Correa »

I'm hoping to test drive the car tomorrow, Might you Miata guys suggest anything I should pay close attention to that these cars have issues with?
Jeff Shyu
Car#: 0

Post by Jeff Shyu »

Cam Correa wrote:I'm hoping to test drive the car tomorrow, Might you Miata guys suggest anything I should pay close attention to that these cars have issues with?
bad day to ask the question, since most people are retiring from the SD tour this weekend. You will probably get more responses if you wait a day or two for people to settle back down from the tour.
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

Not a Miata guy, but you need something today.

Since you have to ask, I assume you're totally new to this. Which is great. Buy the Miata, make sure it's safe enough to pass tech and just run it for the fun of running it -- whatever class they want to put you in. Probably CSP. Yes, you'll get killed by the competition but so what? Run the rest of this year making small cheap improvements and repairs. During the process you'll decide which way you want to take the car. No need to rush the decision. Keeo your expenses down until you make that decision. No need to buy $1000 worth of big wheels and then decide to backdate to stock class.

Others can tell you your options, but they include SCCA stock, regional street tire stock, street prepared, touring and others.
Robert Puertas
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

As usual, Bill's spot on with his advice.

I think the car is probably STS legal as it sits.
Jayson Woodruff

The miata's are great for fun/$. What's also good is almost every autoXer has driven one, so you've got a HUGE knowledge bank for setting up or repairing if needed. The only real trouble with a miata is that every class it fits into is a real ego killer for 'casual' drivers. We have the best CS, STS and CSP drivers in the country all localized in SoCal.

STS is a nice class because it's still inexpensive, but you're allowed to moderatly make the car more fun.

Jay W
Steve Collins
Car#: 799

Post by Steve Collins »

Parts are cheap. Decent tires are cheap. Fully adjustable suspension. More "speed maintenance" less "point and shoot".
Engines are reliable. I've got a 92 :thumbup:
Cam Correa

Post by Cam Correa »

I got my Miata today!
Whens the next club event?

Cam Correa

Post by Cam Correa »

Bill Martin wrote:
Since you have to ask, I assume you're totally new to this. Which is great. Buy the Miata, make sure it's safe enough to pass tech and just run it for the fun of running it -- whatever class they want to put you in. Probably CSP. Yes, you'll get killed by the competition but so what? Run the rest of this year making small cheap improvements and repairs. During the process you'll decide which way you want to take the car.
That's the Plan. :thumbup:
Last edited by Cam Correa on Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.