What about Go Karts?

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Randy Chase
Club: PSCC
Car#: 98

Re: What about Go Karts?

Post by Randy Chase »

Indeed, we ARE adding a hitch to the Noble.
http://www.chasecam.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; VIDEO + DATA
Official provider to SCCA ProRacing, V8Supercars, Mazdaspeed, and more....
http://www.theadrenalinegallery.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Your California dealer for Rossion and Caterham
Bob Beamesderfer
Club: PSCC

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Randy Chase wrote:Indeed, we ARE adding a hitch to the Noble.
Jeremy Clarkson says the Noble is the best handling car Top Gear's ever had. That was during a segment about the latest TVR.
Chris Hurst

Post by Chris Hurst »

I actually sold my 2002 Miata to buy a kart, here are my findings so far:

Kart is a 2007 Tony Kart EVX with a PRD Fireball 125cc engine (~26hp, will rev up past 17,000rpm if you gear it to do so)
Medium Grip tires from Bridgestone

SPEED-

1. Much faster than anything I ever rode in at an autocross event. It's fast in a straight line but it isn't a Ferrari Enzo beater by any means. Top speed for the single speed 125s don't really exceed 75mph on track (somewhere in the 80s for shifter karts). I would say the 0-60 is within the low low 4 second range. Still feels very fast in a straight line though given the size of the course.

2. In the corners it turns with so much violence that it actually hurts at times. The first time I took it out w/o a rib protector I was able to drive, but not able to focus on anything because of how hard my ribs were getting hit by the seat in transitions.

COST-
1. The entire purchase price of my kart (with a brand new motor which should last around 25 hours) and a chassis that was taken out on track 3 times (but never bent) was $4500.00 from a very well known kart tuner in the So-Cal area.

2. Parts are cheap as hell. There is little price difference in compound, with tax I paid about $200.00 for Medium compound tires. Brake pads are under $50 for a pair. Rebuild on the engine costs $400-800 typically depending on what goes.

3. The bottom line is for the price you pay, the speed you get is rediculous. I loved my Miata a lot, but I wish I had known about karts from the beginning.

4. Prices can be anywhere from $1800-$9000 depending on whether or not you buy used / brand new. Also depends on the year, people often ditch used karts after they are a few years old since the technology improves at a pretty quick pace.

5. I'm not sure about other people who commented on this, but the costs to maintain the kart is really cheap. I haven't really had to spend that much money at all to maintain it. Fuel is around $70 for 5 gallons of 98 leaded, oil is about $40.

I go twice as often as I used to go to auto-x and I pay half the cost for a practice day ($30), the times I have gone to the track there was only 1 other person each time. Not to mention I usually spend about 2-3 hours actually driving. The other big benefit of this is that instead of having 1 run then waiting sometimes 20 + minutes, you can keep taking lap after lap after lap.

You are running the course once every minute which compresses the learning process.

I would recommend it to anyone who wants more time on track at a faster pace. Wheel to wheel racing provides an entirely different world too you don't experience in auto-x.

If the speed isn't enough for you, you could always spend a few thousand more and pick up a super kart. 0-100 in about 5 seconds with 3G of cornering speed :o ;)

Just thought I'd check in since I saw this thread on karting, was probably a long read but I hope it was informative.

Have fun!
Cam Correa
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 306

Post by Cam Correa »

Thanks for your input that was helpful..
I've never even heard of the super Karts before..

& what course's are you talking about where your almost out there alone?
Are you talking about Kart tracks?

I still like the idea & probably will get a Kart one day, but as of late I'm BROKE. like so many others. :(
http://www.Class3Racing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.TheWebWheeler.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Numerous tracks, including the one right next to our AX lot at CA Speedway. Fun course with surprising amount of elevation change.

The Adam's track in Riverside has a really cool, severly banked 180 corner.

google southern CA go kart tracks.

First thing might be for the two of you to take an intro karting class at the Jim Hall Jr. karting school between Oxnard and Ventura. Use to be something like $150? for a half day of lessons ... lots of laps, plus class room instructions and on course instructions. By lunch you were beat up. Next day the rib pain was killer but worth it!
Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Jim Hall is awesome. The instructors are really knowledgable and communicate info well. Classes are more expensive now. Here's the URL: http://www.jimhallkartracing.com/ They have schedules and pricing.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Chris Hurst

Post by Chris Hurst »

Cam, I was referring to a course called Grange in Apple Valley

Here is a track map:

It has elevation changes that don't look big until you get into the kart. In the off season it's not uncommon to see Moto GP rider Nicky Hayden, and ex GP rider Max Biaggi stop by.

When we go on friday afternoons we are usually the only person at the track after 12pm. We will stay until 4pm or 5pm. Sometimes the track officials just leave and tell us to lock the gate when we are done. It is without a doubt one of my favorite pieces of road I have driven in anything. A 50hp Aixro rotary kart engine would be an absolute animal to drive around this track. Rib vests are a must.

Superkarts are absolutely mental:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rkX-cQ6kZ0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...and to think they come more powerful than that.
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

A 50hp Aixro rotary kart engine would be an absolute animal
50 hp?!? :shock:
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Kurt Rahn wrote:Jim Hall is awesome. The instructors are really knowledgable and communicate info well. Classes are more expensive now. Here's the URL: http://www.jimhallkartracing.com/ They have schedules and pricing.
Going back in this thread.....

Hey Kurt!
Did you fit in a Jim Hall Kart? Or kart suit? I went there as a 10-11yo and ran some races in a program they had for juniors. My buddy that year and rival, won the national championship the next year in his class.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

I fit in the suit no problem. The biggest seat they had wasn't wide enough for my posterior. They said there's another size up that you can purchase, and they thought that would've fit. If you're up for buying your own seat, they said they could mount it on the kart for you.

As it was, I just wasn't all the way in the seat. I could still drive, but I had to fight the g forces more than everyone else. It was good exercise ;)

You thinking of doing it? It's a blast!
==============
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Maybe next year if the surgery works and everything is okay and I get back on the diet, I'll treat myself.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600