Newb to autosports

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Vaughn Vartanian

Newb to autosports

Post by Vaughn Vartanian »

Hey fellow enthusiasts, I attended the solo 2 practice session back on Sep 25. I had a blast and look forward to coming to more events. Leonard was a big help to me so I just wanted to say thanks first. Although that event was awesome I would like to try my hand at rallying. I've always loved watching it but I want to be a part of it. Any direction you all could point me in would be very much appreciated!
-Vaughn
Giovanni Jaramillo
Club: PSCC

Re: Newb to autosports

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Vaughn Vartanian wrote:I would like to try my hand at rallying. I've always loved watching it but I want to be a part of it. Any direction you all could point me in would be very much appreciated!
-Vaughn
Hey Vaughn. If you click on the CSCC Solo logo atop, that will take you to our main Solo site. There you'll see another logo next to ours called "Cal Club". That is the Cal Club/CSCC division for Road Racing/Time Trials/Road Rallying. They have all the info.
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

You should email local gal Katianna ... she just won a US Rally Championship ... first Gal I believe to have done that.

Katianna Pihakari katianna.pihakari at yahoo dot com
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Prescott, AZ (October 2, 2010) - Katianna Pihakari (Anaheim Hills, CA), a rookie driver competing in the United States Rally Championship (USRC) series, took home the national title in the Production All Wheel Drive category for nearly stock 4WD automobiles, by finishing second in her class at the Prescott Rally on 2 October 2010 in Arizona. Her usual co-driver John Dillon (Thousand Oaks, CA) took home a third-place trophy, though it was Marie Boyd (Bishop, CA) who filled in for him at Prescott.
"We were a little surprised not to hear any friendly jokes about female drivers associated with the tree branch that was sticking through our left front fender at the end of the Prescott Rally", commented Marie after the awards ceremony. "I think this evening was amazing. Katianna was the first female driver ever to win a US Rally Championship.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Isn't the SCCA out of Pro Rallying ?
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

Here's where you want to start:
http://www.californiarallyseries.com/home/index.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note the February rally school in Ridgecrest. It's an annual thing, so watch this site for an early date next year.

You do not need a rally car to attend the school, the driving exercises or the Sunday rallycross event. By the time it's over, you'll know it all. Be aware that stage rally is very exacting ($$$) in car preparation and safety equipment. You shouldn't expect to dabble in it except as a crew member or spectator. Rallycross however is much like autocross on dirt, and like autocross there are classes for both stock and prepared vehicles.

If you need more info, PM me...I'm one of the school driving instructors.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Vaughn: Upcoming event: http://www.smscc.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The CalClub link for this event wouldn't open for me?
Last edited by Mako Koiwai on Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

:roll:
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

http://www.calclub.com/roadrally.htm ... says Page Not Found
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Vaughn Vartanian ... With that last name, I'm assuming you're of Finnish ancestry ... you guys seem to have Rallying in your blood, same as Katianna Pihakari ... the girl just can't help herself!
Giovanni Jaramillo
Club: PSCC

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Mako Koiwai wrote:http://www.calclub.com/roadrally.htm ... says Page Not Found
Wrong link

Correct one: Cal Club Road Rally
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Thanks ... the other link was provided by: info@smscc.org
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I would assume Armenian. As in Knights of Vartan.

SMCC is TSD rally.... You know old women and English tea with stop watches and maps?
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:I would assume Armenian. As in Knights of Vartan.

SMCC is TSD rally.... You know old women and English tea with stop watches and maps?
Seb and I used to do those. Seb sucked because he would not listen to his navigator, Shauna. It was amusing.
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Karen and I did one ... yawn ... but the good teams were very impressive ... finishing the event with in seconds of perfect. I think we got with-in 1/2 hour! :oops:
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Max Hayter wrote:
Steve Ekstrand wrote:I would assume Armenian. As in Knights of Vartan.

Seb and I used to do those. Seb sucked because he would not listen to his navigator, Shauna. It was amusing.
Actually we started doing quite well once I shut up and learned to just drive and press the trip reset. It also helps if you have a wheel and tire combo that is the same diameter as stock. :ibrightdea:

The one time I navigated we came in last place, but we won a free entry into the next rally. We came back and scored a strong win with Shauna at the map and me at the wheel. Some epic roads and intense night driving. Maybe we'll do one now that the WRX is once again road worthy.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

So you want to Rally, GRM Intro Article: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articl ... y-wannabe/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

West Coast Rally School: http://jalopnik.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

see article on "Learning the Scandinavian Flick at rally school"