Can i run my Jeep GC SRT8 in an autocross event?

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Bob Beamesderfer
Club: PSCC

Re: Can i run my Jeep GC SRT8 in an autocross event?

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:BMW calls the X5 an SAV... Not an SUV. I wonder if the SEB would buy that. ;)
Both the X5 in higher models and the Cayenne Turbo have sport modes that lower the vehicle for handling.
I've taken an X5 M to the limit. Tadd has probably done the same to a Cayenne Turbo. Those vehicles still have shiny roofs.

I'd rather autocross an SRT-8 Jeep than a 318ti or a Yaris.
Yeah, SUV, SAV, LSMFT, whatever. I tested a regular X5 on the the 138 going east up into the mountains and back down. It handles, very well -- for what it is, but doesn't make it a good autocross vehicle. Even the standard Cayenne has ride height adjustment, but is pretty soft; S, Turbo S are better. I'd rather autocross a Gremlin than a Yaris.
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Jayson Woodruff wrote:No, there was another one there, hood paint was half gone.

I recently bought a Miata for RallyX. Besides the 'fun for buck' factor, just about everyone who autoxes has owned one. So there's a plethera of local spare parts and repair expertise. I bet there's 10 people reading this that'll change a miata head gasket for a 12 pack of beer.

Jay W

Donny Means wrote:
Jayson Woodruff wrote:
Might cost less than a set of tires for the jeep too.

Seriously, the white miata with peeling hood paint at the SpeedVentures event cost $750.

Jay W
Jayson would this be the one with the hello kitty on the doors? Thats the only white one I remember from the day.

Throw in pizza and some of us will help with a timing belt/water pump job.
John Stimson
Car#: 124

Post by John Stimson »

Mike Simanyi wrote:
John Stimson wrote:If you can lower the CG and/or widen the track enough to meet the stability guidelines, you should be good to go. But I assume the truck has already been lowered some by the factory, and getting to 1.30 from 1.17 seems like a long way to go...
Well, we don't mess with that for Stock. If compelling, factual, 3rd-party data were submitted it *may* be classed in one of the ST classes, but I'd really doubt that. The SEB has been dealing with a series of rollover concerns regarding new cars, so I doubt you'll see any slack cut for an SUV.
You wouldn't have to calculate altered CG / track for Stock, since significant changes aren't allowed in Stock. ST only recently started classing based on lists of cars -- before that, anything was fair game, and if someone showed up in a Scion xA or Subaru Forester (I think it was only the Forester XT that was classed in Stock) that was lowered to meet the rollover guidelines, they could play. Still, the safety guidelines get applied to all cars before you even think about the class they are in. You can't really make a blanket "this car is okay for ST" because ride height and track are free in ST, and any given car could be set up to meet or fail the guidelines. It usually doesn't come into play because most cars start out on the good side of the line, then get lowered and widened, but the examples of the Forester and Subaru are real examples of cars that have been allowed to compete in higher-prep classes even though the stock car wouldn't pass the rollover guideline. Another example is Bob Tunnell's XP Jeep.
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

John Stimson wrote:Another example is Del Long's EM Jeep.
Fixed ;)
Will Kalman
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

I guess @ 1.32, I can run my Odyssey! HS? FSP? :mrgreen:
Robert Puertas
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

Sebastian Rios wrote:
John Stimson wrote:Another example is Steve Brueck's EM Jeep.
Fixed ;)
Fixed again...

Please try to keep up.
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

Robert Puertas wrote:
Sebastian Rios wrote:
John Stimson wrote:Another example is Steve Brueck's EM scratch-built with a Jeep grill.
Fixed ;)
Fixed again...

Please try to keep up.
Fixed once more :mrgreen: