Another Newbie post

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Byron Goodman
Car#: 757

Another Newbie post

Post by Byron Goodman »

Hi All,
I have been anticipating joining this fun and exciting sport for a while now. Life events have calmed down enough so that I am now ready to dive in!

Already, I have spent some time researching online what I need to do, but I still have a bit of confusion about what I must do to get started...

I see that I need to join SCCA, and to join SCCA, I need to join a local club. So, do I need to join the local club first, then the SCCA? What about doing a weekend only membership to SCCA? Do I need to join a local club first for that? I have no problem joining a local club, in fact I look forward to it, I am just a bit confused about how to go about this...

I have a 2007 Honda S2000 that I plan on entering into the Stock (B) class. It is factory stock at this time, with not even an aftermarket shift knob nor an air freshener. I read the SCCA rules, and I seem to fit this category. What mods are allowed that I should start to convince my wife that I need? Air filter only? Would a tower brace be allowed? This car also comes with coil over shocks - Can I upgrade the coils as long as I keep the same travel as stock? Etc, etc.

I live in Mission Viejo, so it looks like several venues are close and convenient, which I certainly like. Still, is it advisable to trailer my vehicle to the event? If I don't trailer, then can I get advise on how other people that don't trailer their vehicle also bring food, water and such to events?

I see that there are practice events also. As a person that is new to the sport, are there other locales or opportunities to practice? I understand that there are driving schools; I attended a three day course a few years back and it was a bit pricey. Again, need to keep Mrs. Spouse happy...

I am not sure that I will be fully prepped for the Fontana event in February, but the El Toro event in March looks quite promising. Any and all help and advise is welcome!

-Byron
Giovanni Jaramillo
Club: PSCC

Re: Another Newbie post

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Byron Goodman wrote:I see that I need to join SCCA, and to join SCCA, I need to join a local club. So, do I need to join the local club first, then the SCCA? What about doing a weekend only membership to SCCA? Do I need to join a local club first for that? I have no problem joining a local club, in fact I look forward to it, I am just a bit confused about how to go about this...
Welcome Byron to this addiction. First you are correct. You need to join the SCCA. Now you can make a full 1yr committment or do a weekend membership and that $15 will get credited to a full-year membership. The weekend membership you have to do in person at registration on Sat and/or Sun. And based on where you live (i.e. your zipcode), you'll be assigned to your region. I'll assume that you'll be placed into region 19 (aka Cal Club - CSCC) which is our region. So your membership dues are $65 for national and $xx for your region. In our case Cal Club dues are $25. They will calculate all that when you sign up on line.

As for competing in our Solo region, to compete for points and year-end trophies and/or jacket you need to join a host club by purchasing a points card. But for first timers, you don't have to pick a club for your first year. Just choose a number. The option of NO-CLUB (not to be confused with the club called No$ as in No Bucks) is available.
Byron Goodman wrote:I have a 2007 Honda S2000 that I plan on entering into the Stock (B) class. It is factory stock at this time, with not even an aftermarket shift knob nor an air freshener. I read the SCCA rules, and I seem to fit this category. What mods are allowed that I should start to convince my wife that I need? Air filter only? Would a tower brace be allowed? This car also comes with coil over shocks - Can I upgrade the coils as long as I keep the same travel as stock? Etc, etc.
My suggestion is to NOT touch the car at all! :) I would suggest you compete in SK1 (which is composed of SS, AS, BS, CS, FS). The only difference in the rules is that in SK1, you follow the Stock Rules MINUS the R-Compound tires. Get a good set of street tires, and learn on the car as is, and then as you progress and get better then modify to the Stock ruleset (i.e. exhaust, intake, front shocks, etc..) If the car comes with coilovers then (which I don't think any car from the factory does) you may not be eligible for Stock class or SK1
Byron Goodman wrote:I live in Mission Viejo, so it looks like several venues are close and convenient, which I certainly like. Still, is it advisable to trailer my vehicle to the event? If I don't trailer, then can I get advise on how other people that don't trailer their vehicle also bring food, water and such to events?
You are in perfect distance between El Toro (1 of 2 of our locations, the other being Auto Club Speedway in Fontana), and the San Diego region's events at Qualcomm Stadium. If you can drive your car on the street which you would if your car is in stock form, then just put the basics in the car trunk and drive out. No need to trailer it.
Byron Goodman wrote:I see that there are practice events also. As a person that is new to the sport, are there other locales or opportunities to practice? I understand that there are driving schools; I attended a three day course a few years back and it was a bit pricey. Again, need to keep Mrs. Spouse happy...
Those are are our only locations: Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, or El Toro Marine Corps Air Station in Irvine. Or there is the San Diego Region. Driving schools on the track are nothing like autocross. We are offering auto-x schools which are way more inexpensive than track day schools and offered by Evolution Schools (Robert Puertas). See our calendar for details.

Our practice events are practice FOR the Sunday championship/points competition event. So commit to both to get a feel of how our weekends are run. You run the course clockwise on Sat, then counter-clockwise on Sunday. You get 3 timed (sometimes 4 runs) to get your best lap. Also we offer, X-runs which are timed runs but don't count towards your points competition. You also get to compete in the novice class if you so choose to.
Byron Goodman wrote:I am not sure that I will be fully prepped for the Fontana event in February, but the El Toro event in March looks quite promising. Any and all help and advise is welcome!
March is going to be one of our busiest months and getting into a practice will be much tougher than in February. Champ events on Sundary are open to everyone, but practices are controlled by the host club and they set the rules as to who gets in priority-wise. I say come out to February and get a feel for it. Jump in...it's the best way.

I hope answered your questions. Feel free to ask if there's something that was not cleared up from the General FAQ or Membership FAQ pages on our main Solo2.com site.
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Byron,

Stock allows very few changes. You can replace shocks (dampers) with any single- or double-adjustable units, using the same mount points. You can replace the air filter with another drop in unit. You can replace the front anti-roll bar and mounts, including the end-links. You can replace the tires with any DOT-approved tire that fits. You can replace brake pads and fluid, and you can use any oil, transmission fluid and differential fluid.

That covers the basics. Note that you can't replace springs, add any braces, change any seats, replace steering wheels, add a "cold-air" cone filter, etc.

There are some minor allowances, including changing your shift knob and replacing wheel bolts with wheel studs. There are some very small changes you can make under "comfort and convenience", like adding an aftermarket stereo. Don't look for any weight savings or competitive advantage under that heading though, or you'll likely be protested (at least at the National level; it's not so likely Locally.)

Locally we have SK classes, which abide by the Stock rule set except for tires. SK requires 140+ treadwear rubber on your car.

This lets you compete on the tires you use on the street for your car, and the competition is quite fierce. The S.D. Tour in April is including these local classes (S.D. has the same classes) and we're working on approval for them at the El Toro Pro as well.

If you want to run at Nationals, pick up a set of R compounds and get moving! R compounds - and the next step up, non-DOT slicks - are the crack cocaine of our little hobby.

As Gio says, welcome to the addiction!

Mike
Byron Goodman

Post by Byron Goodman »

Thanks for the replies!

Seems like you guys have pointed me in the right direction. I'll see what I can do to make it to the February event - sounds like fun!
Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Mike Simanyi wrote:Stock allows very few changes. You can replace shocks (dampers) with any single- or double-adjustable units, using the same mount points. You can replace the air filter with another drop in unit. You can replace the front anti-roll bar and mounts, including the end-links. You can replace the tires with any DOT-approved tire that fits. You can replace brake pads and fluid, and you can use any oil, transmission fluid and differential fluid.
You can also install a cat-back exhaust, as long as it exits to the rear of the driver position and retains the stock cats (all of them).
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Byron Goodman

Post by Byron Goodman »

Thanks again for all the help. I have few more questions to make sure that I am ready in a week and a half :D

Air - It seems that tire pressure is important to a good run. Is it bad form to borrow air and a gauge from a better prepared racer? I do have my own air compressor and gauges, but space is very limited in my tiny vehicle...

Numbers - I know that I can put on temporary numbers using blue tape, but I have a blue car. Will that work OK? Any other ideas? Should I bring my own tape?

Helmet - I have a moto-X helmet that is Snell M2000 rated. It has the usual visor and chin guard that any normal moto-X helmet will have. Should I consider this as a usable helmet, at least for my first few events? I certainly will try it on in the car, but still want to be sure if others have found this style of helmet to be hampering.

Shoes - Should I worry about shoes at this point? I don't think that I will be doing heel/toe quite yet. Of course I have a set of thin-soled skate shoes at the ready.

Staging - for personal gear, chair, lunch, water, etc. How does that work out? Do I just find a spot and put my stuff out?

I think that is all for now. :)

I have already registerd for both the Valentine Massacre practice and race. Looking forward to the event!
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Byron Goodman wrote:Thanks again for all the help. I have few more questions to make sure that I am ready in a week and a half :D

Air - It seems that tire pressure is important to a good run. Is it bad form to borrow air and a gauge from a better prepared racer? I do have my own air compressor and gauges, but space is very limited in my tiny vehicle...
Bring your own gauge. Air is not that hard to find.
Numbers - I know that I can put on temporary numbers using blue tape, but I have a blue car. Will that work OK?
nope - needs to be contrasting. see rule 3.7.D
Any other ideas? Should I bring my own tape?
Easiest thing to do is print them out on paper (black numbers on letter size paper you print at home/work) and then tape that on. Also, we have preprinted numbers and class letters you can have. Since you don't have a points card, you'll be assigned a 600# and given a sheet of paper to tape to your car. You'll get class letters at Tech.
Helmet - I have a moto-X helmet that is Snell M2000 rated. It has the usual visor and chin guard that any normal moto-X helmet will have. Should I consider this as a usable helmet, at least for my first few events? I certainly will try it on in the car, but still want to be sure if others have found this style of helmet to be hampering.
I doubt you'll want to use it long term, but no reason not to try. I saw several last time I was in San Diego. If the visor comes off, I'd remove it just in case it bumped the roof when you turn your head.
Shoes - Should I worry about shoes at this point? I don't think that I will be doing heel/toe quite yet. Of course I have a set of thin-soled skate shoes at the ready.
Just wear something comfy and not too bulky. If you have something with a nice rounded heal, great. I use Pilotis, Nike running shoes, Converse low tops and some G-Force high-tops. Also use five finger shoes. Just depends on mood.
Staging - for personal gear, chair, lunch, water, etc. How does that work out? Do I just find a spot and put my stuff out?
Just find a nice spot to park your car (try to be mindful of those with trailers) and claim your spot. I've never had anything walk.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins