I'm new to SCCA and

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Barney Poynor

I'm new to SCCA and

Post by Barney Poynor »

Hello all,
I raced autoX many years ago in the 70's and may get back into it. Back then it was just club events in the class we called C Sedan. Now I'm looking into it again and was going through the rules and trying to find out if there is a class for my 2000 Pontiac Grand Am. Can anyone point me to the correct page. I would like to run street stock or ????? Thanks for your time and help.
Giovanni Jaramillo
Club: PSCC

Re: I'm new to SCCA and

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Barney Poynor wrote:Hello all,
I raced autoX many years ago in the 70's and may get back into it. Back then it was just club events in the class we called C Sedan. Now I'm looking into it again and was going through the rules and trying to find out if there is a class for my 2000 Pontiac Grand Am. Can anyone point me to the correct page. I would like to run street stock or ????? Thanks for your time and help.
Hey Barney, welcome back. Please go to our main site (Solo2.com) by clicking on the logo at the top left. Then there, you'll see the two (2) navigation bars. The right hand side as a link to the SCCA Solo Nationals Rulebook for 2011. Search there for your car year, make model and it will indicate the class.
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

I couldn't find a classification for a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am. Is it by chance called something else? Maybe Grand Am is the trim level? Do you know what size (displacement) the engine is?
Giovanni Jaramillo

Sebastian Rios wrote:I couldn't find a classification for a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am. Is it by chance called something else? Maybe Grand Am is the trim level? Do you know what size (displacement) the engine is?
Yeah I searched too but didn't find it at all.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Catchall?

6cyl to GS ???
4cyl to HS ???

Any mods?

We run a local class SK2 that would be good using either GS or HS as the underlying class to base the index off of.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Sebastian Rios wrote: Maybe Grand Am is the trim level?
Jesus, you call yourselves "Car Guys" . :D

The Grand Am is a big compact and shares platform with the malibu and some oldsmobile. Comes big inline 4 or small V6. Don't know if you could find a manual.

The LD9 4-cyl is a Quad-4 varient. So given nothing more specific I say it falls under:
G-Stock
General Motors
FWD models (4-cyl Turbo, 6-cyl, Ecotec, or Quad 4 engines, NOC)

Jay W
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Jayson Woodruff wrote:
Sebastian Rios wrote: Maybe Grand Am is the trim level?
Jesus, you call yourselves "Car Guys" . :D

The Grand Am is a big compact and shares platform with the malibu and some oldsmobile. Comes big inline 4 or small V6. Don't know if you could find a manual.

The LD9 4-cyl is a Quad-4 varient. So given nothing more specific I say it falls under:
G-Stock
General Motors
FWD models (4-cyl Turbo, 6-cyl, Ecotec, or Quad 4 engines, NOC)

Jay W
Oldsmobile? Malibu? What part of Japan do they come from? :lol:
Arthur Grant
Club: TCC
Car#: 314

Post by Arthur Grant »

Jay W[/quote]
Oldsmobile? Malibu? What part of Japan do they come from? :lol:[/quote]

Sounds like a devote from the land of the rising recall. :lol:
Barney Poynor

Post by Barney Poynor »

Thanks Guys,
The Grand Am has a 2.4L 4 non turbo. I see somebody said G stock? No mods for now. We will replace it soon and the wife says I can "use" it. I was just thinking I will get back into it again and use it. I would love to find a old Datsun 510 to build but that will never happen! I raced a Mazda RX-2 many years ago in what our club called C sedan (it was a 2 door?) I raced 1 full season of 9 races and just missed the class championship by a few points with 2- firsts, 6- seconds and 1 third. It was a lot of fun but I went thru a divorce and got rid of it.
I hope to get to play again some day..... got to keep busy and away from the bars!
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

G-stock is my input. For our region (and San Diego's), you'll best fit in SK2 like Steve said. SK2 is an "Index Class", where several different stock car classes are handicaped together based on their "underlying class" as Steve put it (your underlying class is G-stock). In SK2 there's the additional requirement that everyone must run "street" tires (treadwear of 140+). Normal stock classes allow you to run specialized racing tires. SK2 is set up to be a great arrive and drive class. And since is envelopes several stock classes together the competition is big and fun.

Note SK2 is a local thing only. Many regions have some sort of equivilent, but there is no equivilent national class.

Jay W
Barney Poynor wrote:Thanks Guys,
The Grand Am has a 2.4L 4 non turbo. I see somebody said G stock? No mods for now. We will replace it soon and the wife says I can "use" it. I was just thinking I will get back into it again and use it. I would love to find a old Datsun 510 to build but that will never happen! I raced a Mazda RX-2 many years ago in what our club called C sedan (it was a 2 door?) I raced 1 full season of 9 races and just missed the class championship by a few points with 2- firsts, 6- seconds and 1 third. It was a lot of fun but I went thru a divorce and got rid of it.
I hope to get to play again some day..... got to keep busy and away from the bars!
Barney Poynor

Post by Barney Poynor »

Is there a link to where I can see what events I can go to here in So. Cal. ? I raced 1 time at the San Diego Asebring Ass. many years ago.
Toby Larsson
Former CSCC Overall Champion

Post by Toby Larsson »

San Diego schedule http://www.sdr-scca.com/solo2/schedule/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There's an event this Sunday.
http://www.elitetint.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.osgiken.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Giovanni Jaramillo

Barney Poynor wrote:Is there a link to where I can see what events I can go to here in So. Cal. ? I raced 1 time at the San Diego Asebring Ass. many years ago.
Our main Solo2.com site (as Toby showed as well) also has links to the San Diego Calendar.
Barney Poynor

Post by Barney Poynor »

Sorry I miss ed it I got busy but is there any in the OC area as it is closer. I'll hit SD soon but OC would be better.
Thanks guys.
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Barney Poynor wrote:Sorry I miss ed it I got busy but is there any in the OC area as it is closer. I'll hit SD soon but OC would be better.
Thanks guys.
We will start having events at El Toro in March. http://solo2.com/EventCalendar.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Registration hasn't opened yet, but will soon.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins