newbe

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Ernesto Gonzalez

newbe

Post by Ernesto Gonzalez »

How's it going guys, Im new to the boards and new to autocross. I have been busy studying at UC Riverside getting my BA in prelaw that took most of my time from hitting the track but now that business is taken care of, i can now get some free time to hit some autox events. Im looking to get some more experience driving and get a better feel of my car before i hit streets of willow or other tracks. So far my evo has about all bolt on mods you can put on. Also suspension was recently done couple of months back and im really looking to feel its full potentional. Went with JIC FLT A'2 coils with rear sway bars and bushings. Hope to see you guys out at some auto x events. Im from Orange County, Anaheim.

Here are some pics of the ride.
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Re: newbe

Post by KJ Christopher »

That's a nice looking Evo. Have you signed up for Sunday's event yet? Also, pscc was holding a few spots open on Saturday for noobs. Not sure if any are still open. Might be too late for that.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

KJ Christopher wrote:That's a nice looking Evo. Have you signed up for Sunday's event yet? Also, pscc was holding a few spots open on Saturday for noobs. Not sure if any are still open. Might be too late for that.
I think they are gone, but there's always a chance of a walk up spot opening up. Regardless, it's worth showing up Saturday just to get an autoX feel, and you can likely find a few free shotgun rides. That'll give you a little prep for Sunday as well.

Jay W
Don Salyers
Car#: 42

Post by Don Salyers »

Arthur, where are you---it sounds like BSP would be on the short list. But probably, SM or beyond..... :mrt: :mrt:

Don
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

I'm thinking CST, our local class for cars on 140+ treadwear tires with any essentially any mods. The car *may* be eligible for BSP if you'd like to run R compound tires.

Tell us more about your modifications. With a complete list we should be able to tell you which classes you can run in.

And I second the suggestion to come out on Saturday. Many people will welcome you in the passenger seat. Bring a helmet if you have one - Snell 2000 or later definitely works (be sure to see the official Snell sticker inside the shell) - and check out the event. If you get there by 7:00 you should have time to see the venue layout (Paddock, Registration, Tech, etc.), walk the course with an experienced driver, and meet some people before cars start running. I believe first car out is at 8:30.

There's also an Evo School being hosted on site. You may want to go observe that in action. Some of the finest drivers in the country are instructors with the school, which develops autocross and driving skills in both new and experienced drivers.

Then come back on Sunday and take some runs of your own. If you want more than the basic number of runs we include at our Sunday autocross events, we sell X runs too. They allow you to take a second set of runs without any additional work assignment.

I'm in the white 1995 M3 with the wing and I'm our Region Chair. Feel free to hit me with any questions. I hope to see you out there this weekend!

Mike
Ernesto Gonzalez

Mike Simanyi wrote:I'm thinking CST, our local class for cars on 140+ treadwear tires with any essentially any mods. The car *may* be eligible for BSP if you'd like to run R compound tires.

Tell us more about your modifications. With a complete list we should be able to tell you which classes you can run in.

And I second the suggestion to come out on Saturday. Many people will welcome you in the passenger seat. Bring a helmet if you have one - Snell 2000 or later definitely works (be sure to see the official Snell sticker inside the shell) - and check out the event. If you get there by 7:00 you should have time to see the venue layout (Paddock, Registration, Tech, etc.), walk the course with an experienced driver, and meet some people before cars start running. I believe first car out is at 8:30.

There's also an Evo School being hosted on site. You may want to go observe that in action. Some of the finest drivers in the country are instructors with the school, which develops autocross and driving skills in both new and experienced drivers.

Then come back on Sunday and take some runs of your own. If you want more than the basic number of runs we include at our Sunday autocross events, we sell X runs too. They allow you to take a second set of runs without any additional work assignment.

I'm in the white 1995 M3 with the wing and I'm our Region Chair. Feel free to hit me with any questions. I hope to see you out there this weekend!

Mike
Thanks mike for the welcoming...

List of mods go as follow:
Exterior: Vortex Generator, Ralliart replica LIp, JDB Bumper, Volks GTU with BFG KDW NT tires (but due to severe camber wear they will be off and stockers will be on until my Falken RT-615k come in)

Interior MODS: DEFI boost and oil pressure gauges, NRG Harness Bar, Driver and Passenger SPARCO 3" harnesses.

Engine MODS: FUJITA Intake system with upper and lower intercooler pipe, RRE Boost Controler, Tanabe 3" downpipe, Megan 3" test pipe, Agency TI 3" Exhaust, ARC Value Cover, Ralliart radiator shroud.

Suspension: JIC FLT A2 coils overs (custom), Rear trail arm bushings, RRE 24 mm rear sway bar, Fully aligned by EVASIVE MOTORSPORTS

Also would like to know what the price is to attend. Im 23 years old, and ex student (wonder if i can take advantage of any discounts, still have my student id), not a member of SCCA or affilated to a team. And lastly what class should i register for. Like stated earlier Im new to autocross.

Also if it rains does the event still take place?

-Ernesto
Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Ernesto Gonzalez wrote: Also would like to know what the price is to attend. Im 23 years old, and ex student (wonder if i can take advantage of any discounts, still have my student id), not a member of SCCA or affilated to a team. And lastly what class should i register for. Like stated earlier Im new to autocross.

Also if it rains does the event still take place?

-Ernesto
I'll leave the classing to someone with a better understanding of the mods.

Registration: I would just register for CST before the Friday night deadline to receive the pre-reg rate. The class can always be changed in the computer on Sunday morning if a better one suits your car.

Student: Honesty is the best policy. If you just graduated in FEB I might see a Student as a stretch. Last Spring, well I still have my College ID too, it has no expiration date, my picture is just 21 years out of date... nuf said?

Price depends on when you register, full or weekend membership, just class or x runs too.

Sat:
Practice $65.00 if space is available.

Sunday:
PreReg: $30.00
Onsite Reg: $40.00
Student: $15.00 (if applicable)
SCCA Memb: $15.00 (weekend)
SCCA Memb: $80.00 (12mth rolling year)
Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 194

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

he is classed in CST or SM due to the boost controller. Now is not the time to be worried about classing though. Just come out and have some fun. Then when you are ready to commit then you can start classing yourself in a class you want to run in.
http://www.osgiken.net
4 BSP- 2019 Mazda ND Miata - 2001 SSM Honda S2000
OS Giken / Bride / ShaftWorks USA
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Club: CASOC
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

Jonathan Lugod wrote:he is classed in CST or SM due to the boost controller. Now is not the time to be worried about classing though. Just come out and have some fun. Then when you are ready to commit then you can start classing yourself in a class you want to run in.
Boost controllers are legal in Street Prepared. I think the BSP questionable items are the bumper and the ARC valve cover (correct me if I'm worng, isn't that just a spark plug cover?).

Since you will be on street tires, California Street Touring (CST) is probably your best bet.
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
Ernesto Gonzalez

Christine Berry wrote:
Jonathan Lugod wrote:he is classed in CST or SM due to the boost controller. Now is not the time to be worried about classing though. Just come out and have some fun. Then when you are ready to commit then you can start classing yourself in a class you want to run in.
Boost controllers are legal in Street Prepared. I think the BSP questionable items are the bumper and the ARC valve cover (correct me if I'm worng, isn't that just a spark plug cover?).

Since you will be on street tires, California Street Touring (CST) is probably your best bet.

yes arc is just a spark plug cover, there just like dress up engine bay mods, though i'd just throw it in there.

But thanks guys for the info, the only concern i have is what do i have to click for the event there is like three boxe's to select, 30 for the event 15 for student discount and 15 for a membership. Do i have to select all of them?
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

If you have already graduated, click 30 for entry and 15 for temp membership.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
John Stimson
Car#: 124

Post by John Stimson »

If you are under 25, the SCCA gives you a big discount on your annual membership.
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

John Stimson wrote:If you are under 25, the SCCA gives you a big discount on your annual membership.
Forgot about the "Saferacer FirstGear membership" for those 24 and under. Only $45.00 vs. $90.00

Here is a link to the application website: http://ams.scca.com/netforum/eweb/firstgear.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With a referal from an existing member there is supposed to be an additional discount on this application. Feel free to list me.

Craig Naylor
SCCA Member #270097
Ernesto Gonzalez

Craig Naylor wrote:
John Stimson wrote:If you are under 25, the SCCA gives you a big discount on your annual membership.
Forgot about the "Saferacer FirstGear membership" for those 24 and under. Only $45.00 vs. $90.00

Here is a link to the application website: http://ams.scca.com/netforum/eweb/firstgear.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With a referal from an existing member there is supposed to be an additional discount on this application. Feel free to list me.

Craig Naylor
SCCA Member #270097
Appreciate it Craig for the information and allowing me to list you for the discount.

And yes i am under 24, im 23 so this applies to me. Thanks everyone for being understanding with all these newbe questions, i have done a lot of research on the autox sport and rules, so i think im ready. Also last question, is there usually a big turn out on rainy days? Kind of debating on waiting until May 1st until the next autox event at EL TORO. Dont feel like being wet when its my turn to help out LOL

Also i saw my name on the registration list of members registered for the event, if i decide not to attend what is the procedure of getting my name off the list? I dont want to be penalized or banned. And if i decide to attend can i pay there or do i have to pay over the internet.

-Ernesto
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Ernesto Gonzalez wrote:Kind of debating on waiting until May 1st until the next autox event at EL TORO. Dont feel like being wet when its my turn to help out LOL
You should come out- it doesn't rain very often here in SoCal, so it's great practice. Besides, you've got all-wheel drive, so not a problem for driving. Just bring a poncho.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Ernesto Gonzalez wrote:Appreciate it Craig for ...allowing me to list you for the discount.
-Ernesto
The refer-er gets a discount on his membership as well BTW.

Jay W (SCCA # 308692, good for any referals someone might like!! ;) )
Ernesto Gonzalez

Leonard Cachola wrote:
Ernesto Gonzalez wrote:Kind of debating on waiting until May 1st until the next autox event at EL TORO. Dont feel like being wet when its my turn to help out LOL
You should come out- it doesn't rain very often here in SoCal, so it's great practice. Besides, you've got all-wheel drive, so not a problem for driving. Just bring a poncho.
that is true, and i can just put her in gravel MODE!!!!!! }:)
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Ernesto Gonzalez wrote:
Also i saw my name on the registration list of members registered for the event, if i decide not to attend what is the procedure of getting my name off the list? I dont want to be penalized or banned. And if i decide to attend can i pay there or do i have to pay over the internet.

-Ernesto
No penalty for pre-registering and not showing, but if you want to remove your name just go back to motorsportreg and cancel (but if you do so and then come to the event registration is $10 more). Online payment is optional, you can pay at the event.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...