new guy with an STi

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Brett Bergener

new guy with an STi

Post by Brett Bergener »

Hello

Watched my first autocross event over memorial day weekend in Utah. My friend drove his '07 mustang GT, while I spectated and wished I had my car there. The event was low key and everyone was super friendly. While I was there I realized a few things...

First, My car is amazing, but I don't really know how to drive it. I'm sure my ride makes up for my lack of ability.

Second, I LOVE RACING!! I've spent the last few years on two wheels riding a GSXR1000 on the track, even though I'm a motorcycle guy I heart, my desire to get in the car and learn how to drive has grown tons.

I live near the El Toro track in Aliso Viejo. I drive a 2011 Subaru STi (hatch).

Few questions I'd like answered if anyone has a sec.

-Who does tuning for the STi in Orange County or near there?

-Are all autocross events two days? Can I only sign up for a Saturday?

Thanks for any help here. Looking forward to meeting you.

Brett
Max Hayter
Club: CASOC
Car#: 31

Re: new guy with an STi

Post by Max Hayter »

Cobb opened a shop in Orange County I believe. I would go there. Do the 2011's all blow up like the previous 2007-2010 years?
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Brett Bergener

Post by Brett Bergener »

Max Hayter wrote:Cobb opened a shop in Orange County I believe. I would go there. Do the 2011's all blow up like the previous 2007-2010 years?

I never heard of them blowing up. Hmmmmmm. I hope not!
Max Hayter

Post by Max Hayter »

I'm afraid so. 2006 was the last good year. Check out NASIOC to see if the 2011 is any better. Otherwise, I would not advise autoxing an 2007+ STI. It WILL blow up, multiple times. Once they got to their 3rd engines. most guys gave up. Subaru will usually warranty the first one if you are stock, but after that, it gets more tricky.

It's a shame - fabulous car otherwise.

IBPeteLoney

*Former owner of a 2006*.
~Max H.

#31 SSC
Max Hayter

Post by Max Hayter »

To answer your other questions, most of our weekends are practice on Saturday, Championship on Sunday. You can enter for either, or both, although the practices can be hard to get into. You are always welcome at the Championships on Sunday

The next event on June 23/24 is a Divisional event, and is a two day affair.
~Max H.

#31 SSC
Brett Bergener

Post by Brett Bergener »

Max Hayter wrote:To answer your other questions, most of our weekends are practice on Saturday, Championship on Sunday. You can enter for either, or both, although the practices can be hard to get into. You are always welcome at the Championships on Sunday

The next event on June 23/24 is a Divisional event, and is a two day affair.

What event would you recommend for a newbie such as myself? And how much are these events normally. I've heard they range from $35-90.
Jeff Shyu
Car#: 0

Post by Jeff Shyu »

there's a Novice School event July 16-17th on the calendar.

i'm unsure on the specifics, just that it's on the calendar.
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Here are details and the registration for the July school http://tinyurl.com/3cs3hal
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Giovanni Jaramillo
Club: PSCC

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Brett Bergener wrote:What event would you recommend for a newbie such as myself? And how much are these events normally. I've heard they range from $35-90.
Brett:

Please click on the logo "CSCC SOLO" atop the forums. That will take you to our main site (Solo2.com). There you'll see a section called "Newbie Guide / Introduction". Please read the PDF files geared toward newbies. That should help answer your questions. Our novice coordinator Leonard Cachola wrote it and he'll answer any question you may have if you post here or e-mail him directly.
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Make sure you run your STI with a good extra half a qt. of oil ... so that there is less chance of oil starvation in sustained cornering.

Lots of good AX Intro Articles and Video's here: http://www.teamblewracing.com/forum/for ... p?TID=1963

Cheers ... Mako, former Suby racer
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

We've seen so many last generation STi blow up its really scary. I was thinking of getting one when Pete first got his and soon got scared off. Definitely search NAISOC forums for info on 2011's autocrossing.

As for tuning, any change to the ECU programming takes you out of stock. Any change to the boost map takes you out of STU. So, you may want to research the car's reliability and attend the Novice school in July to get a feel for how much you like autocross (its addictive). We have a local street tire class (SK1) that lumps together various local guys in the faster stock classes who run 140+ treadwear rated tires. The cars are indexed by class to help level the playing field. Its a popular local class and an '11 STi should do well there. But you'd be really limited on mods (front sway bar, catback exhaust, air filter element, alignment, and tires are about it).
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600