Passengers allowed??

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Brad Roberts
Car#: 0

Passengers allowed??

Post by Brad Roberts »

I want to know if I can ride with my GF's daughter tomorrow evening at the Fontucky event? It is her first event and I want to instruct her (something I have done for nearly 20 years now)

How does one go about becoming an instructor with your group? Or do I need too to ride with her?

B
Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Re: Passengers allowed??

Post by Kurt Rahn »

The way it works is that during competition runs, you either have to run by yourself, or with an instructor. Passengers are allowed during X Runs and Fun Runs, but due to the late hours of NOTLD this Sat., I don't think X Runs are allowed. Fun Runs might happen, depending on when the last run group finishes. The details/info should be on the event flyer:
http://www.solo2.com/eventpage.asp?eid= ... 8B0F1398A2
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Brad Roberts

Post by Brad Roberts »

Kurt,

thanks for the prompt reply. I vividly recall my first encounter with SCCA AutoX back in 86. I *really* wished for a better experience. We didn't have the web to tell us WHO/WHAT/WHERE/WHEN and newbies where not hand held and encouraged to run/show up.

B
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

No prob. This will be only my sixth event, so I can relate. It took a while to get acclimated to how things work. It's a lot easier now with the advent of messages boards, etc.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Will Kalman
Club: PSCC
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

Actually, you can have a passenger on any of your runs. But starting with the first run you take with a passenger, your times will not count in competition. This is not the case with an instructor.

Funny how that rule was to eliminate the unfair advantage of grabbing a top dog driver to coach you around the course, yet our instructor rules specifically create that exact situation!
Brad Roberts

Post by Brad Roberts »

Funny how that rule was to eliminate the unfair advantage of grabbing a top dog driver to coach you around the course, yet our instructor rules specifically create that exact situation!
Now you know why I asked to be an instructor in another thread :) The more times I see the course....

B
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Brad Roberts wrote:
Now you know why I asked to be an instructor in another thread :) The more times I see the course....

B
Just a couple of quick notes: You can't be an instructor until after you've competed and only approved instructors are allowed to instruct.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Brad Roberts

Post by Brad Roberts »

Just a couple of quick notes: You can't be an instructor until after you've competed and only approved instructors are allowed to instruct.
Cool. Can someone provide the link to fill out needed forms and such or who I need to chat with to become an instructor?

B
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator

Brad Roberts wrote:
Cool. Can someone provide the link to fill out needed forms and such or who I need to chat with to become an instructor?

B
There aren't any forms. Just talk to the Event Chair (Tom Philips) or Renee Angel. We have a pretty big pool of good instructors to choose from in our region.
~Leonard Cachola
Brad Roberts

Post by Brad Roberts »

Excellent! Thank you sir!

B
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Not sure if Leonard understood what you were asking. ;)

Perhaps you should "formally" list your "resume."
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator

Mako Koiwai wrote:Not sure if Leonard understood what you were asking. ;)

Perhaps you should "formally" list your "resume."
Oh, I understood. I also didn't say they would say 'yes.' }:)
~Leonard Cachola
Brad Roberts

Post by Brad Roberts »

Do I email it? or just "post" it.. which is kinda embarrassing?

B
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

At this late day, post it. As far as I'm concerned, as a regular CSCC member, since you probably aren't interested in actually being in the points, and we're looking for "a few (new) good drivers," I wouldn't care if you drove, out of competition, with a passenger ... who might be another potential new member. But it's up to the discretion of the Event Chair. For a Championship event, this particular event is unique and seemingly undersubscribed ... so I say ... hope to see you later today ...
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Brad Roberts wrote:Do I email it? or just "post" it.. which is kinda embarrassing?

B
I can vouch that brad does in general know what he's talking about, even if he can be abrasive about it :lol: . I was up in Half Moon Bay at a wedding or I might have said something earlier.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

So, how did it turn out? Did she run and enjoy it? Who instructed? Is the family hooked?

I'm always asked why I stay in solo and don't move up to club racing. Part of it besides fear and money, is how cool solo can be if the whole family is involved. My wife loves to compete. Robert talks about when he can run (he's 4 1/2). Its a blast.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Brad Roberts

Post by Brad Roberts »

She loved it! And she is hooked! I thought it best if I didn't instruct her in the car. I had already spent a lot of time walking the course with her and explaining everything I could think of. We walked it 3 times and I made her draw the course by memory. She did great!

I wanted to thank "Linda" again for instructing her Image Linda ran an easy 53 in the car in one pass and Jordan ran a 55.8XX with a cone on run 3 and on run 4 ran a 55.XXX clean.

First thing she asked on the way home: "Can I buy a my own helmet?" YES!!! ImageImage

Looking forward to the next event.

B
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Sweeeeeeeeeet. I'm going to introduce my son to the sport in Oct. (hopefully). He'll be driving an FJ kart. Hopefully it'll take and I'll bring him with to all the events I run. Crossing my fingers!
==============
Casey Brier
Car#: 806

Post by Casey Brier »

I have a questions for a friend of mine, figured this was a great place to put it.

a friend of min is VERY new and wants to have his son sit alog side him.

questions 1, can he have a passenger with him, he does not care about points or anything like that at this point.

question 2, how old does his son need to be if he can ride along?

thanks! :thumbup:
"cars...you spend money you don't have, to buy the parts you don't need, to impress the people you don't like....."
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Casey Brier wrote:I have a questions for a friend of mine, figured this was a great place to put it.

a friend of min is VERY new and wants to have his son sit alog side him.

questions 1, can he have a passenger with him, he does not care about points or anything like that at this point.

question 2, how old does his son need to be if he can ride along?

thanks! :thumbup:
1. The rules say no passengers but the event master can approve it . Being Renee Angel is very understanding and newby friendly, I'd say no problem. But it's her decision.
2. 12
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Aaron Goldsmith

Both Parents need to sign the child waiver for the kid to be onsite though. ;)
Bob Beamesderfer
Club: PSCC

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:Both Parents need to sign the child waiver for the kid to be in a hot area or ride along. ;)
Fixed that for ya.
Casey Brier
Car#: 806

Post by Casey Brier »

I will let him know.... thank you very much!
"cars...you spend money you don't have, to buy the parts you don't need, to impress the people you don't like....."
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

If we allow it on X-runs, then we should allow it on time only first run sets. I'd like confirmation from old guard types because this has been an area of contention...

At one point after a last run passenger ride at a Buttonwillow event resulted in a lunacy driven DSQ of ALL of a competitors runs the Solo Committee in this region made it VERY clear that it was okay to take a passenger, but that run and all subsequent runs would be scored as DNF. Prior runs would stand just fine. So, let's say five or six fast guys get sick and don't show. I smoke the STS field after two runs and I want to stand on those runs and take a third with a passenger, I can. That was the outcome of that very heated and controversial meeting. By extension, I would think you could declare all your runs DNF'd and just take a qualified passenger along.

Over the subsequent 6 years or so, who the heck knows. I've heard oldtimers at the meeting scream that it never happened. I've seen passengers yanked rudely out of the car by screaming idiots at the starting line.

Good luck to ya'.....

One additional note.... SCCA offers a free weekend membership for passengers. Its only good for being a passenger and I don't believe it offers any discount for subsequent membership applications.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Aaron Goldsmith

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:
Aaron Goldsmith wrote:Both Parents need to sign the child waiver for the kid to be in a hot area or ride along. ;)
Fixed that for ya.
Well I guess it depends of it it's sanctioned as a "nonspectator" event or not (and on the speedway).
The vast majority of Solo events are sanctioned and insured as “nonspectator”
events. Therefore, any non-participant lingering on the
event premises for more than a few moments must sign the SCCA
waiver or leave the facility.
Since the child waiver IS the waiver for a child, they would need to have a dualy signed waiver for any kid on the site.. though Erik would know the actual answer to this. As would many of the other parents.. I aint one of them, haha.