Newbie to AutoX

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Davin Swanson
Club: CASOC
Car#: 979

Newbie to AutoX

Post by Davin Swanson »

Hi, everyone. After years of wanting a Miata as a weekend fun car, I finally bought one last month- a brand new 2011. I've never autocrossed before, but it's something that's always interested me, and I expect that my new toy and I will share many weekends tearing around parking lots! I would have come to this weekend's event, but unfortunately I was out of town, so my first experience will be in September. I had a couple of questions about getting started.

- I'm going to go ahead and get a points card so that I can reserve a number and will probably get magnets made up. Even though I'm a rank amateur at this I know I'm going to like it, so I figure why not go ahead and do that now. Do I have to do anything to join one of the local clubs ahead of time, or will just putting it down on the points card form suffice? I'll probably join No$ or TCC since I'm going in blind and just need a club to get the card at this point.
- I understand the NC Miata is in CS stock. I have zero mods at this point... the car is bone stock. Would it be better for me to start in SK2 if that's the case? (I plan on running as a novice in my first few events.) I know that I'll get a better feel for things when I go to the first event, but I'd like some advice on which to sign up for when it comes time to preregister.

I've read through most of the beginner docs on this website. Thanks to everyone who's spent time putting them together. Any other hints or recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

-davin
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Re: Newbie to AutoX

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Welcome, Davin!
Davin Swanson wrote:- I'm going to go ahead and get a points card so that I can reserve a number and will probably get magnets made up. Even though I'm a rank amateur at this I know I'm going to like it, so I figure why not go ahead and do that now. Do I have to do anything to join one of the local clubs ahead of time, or will just putting it down on the points card form suffice? I'll probably join No$ or TCC since I'm going in blind and just need a club to get the card at this point.
It'll ask you which club you want to join when you buy the points card. It's not a huge deal, as you can switch clubs if you find you're hanging out with people from one club or another more.
Davin Swanson wrote:- I understand the NC Miata is in CS stock. I have zero mods at this point... the car is bone stock. Would it be better for me to start in SK2 if that's the case? (I plan on running as a novice in my first few events.) I know that I'll get a better feel for things when I go to the first event, but I'd like some advice on which to sign up for when it comes time to preregister.
I'd definitely go for SK2 (that's the class I drive in). In addition to having pretty big fields at most events, you also don't have to buy R-comp tires (which are expensive and can't really be driven on the street) to be competitive.

I'd just come to an event or two before you buy anything or do anything to your car, and ask questions/watch what's going on. See you out there soon!
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Welcome to the addiction!

You don't have to choose a club to get a points card your first year. "No Club" is a valid option. This allows someone time to meet people and see where they fit best. Lots of good clubs and good people. Be sure to keep an eye out for the posting of the September Practice event registration instructions. Since this is just after Nationals, getting in should be fairly easy. Perfect opportunity to try out the sport, get rides in other people's cars and have experienced people ride with you to give you tips. Will make the competition day on Sunday more enjoyable.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Davin Swanson
Car#: 979

Post by Davin Swanson »

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll use the "No Club" option and wait and see where I end up. And SK2 seems like a good place to start.

Looking forward to my first event. I wish I had been able to come last weekend... now I have to wait a whole month!

-davin