I green as a bell pepper

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

John Brainard

I green as a bell pepper

Post by John Brainard »

Hello Cone Bangers!

After years of dreaming and planning I have finally decided to take the plunge and get involved in official autosports. Although my car of choice has more disadvantages than advantages as far as handling I plan on starting with Solo2. Before I learned about Autocross I was interested in American Iron, and I still am. Maybe I will get my need for speed fix with AX and not have to move to the more expensive AI? I love to compete but it seems that you have to have either a Miata or a Shelby GT to actually be competitive in Solo2. I have neither.

I have a 1989 mustang LX that is mostly stock. I think I'll end up being put in some sort of street touring class? What do you think? Mods are

Engine/driveline: CAI, throttle body, Upper/Lower intake plenum, shorty headers and 4.10 gears.
Suspension/brakes: Sub frame connectors, Rears LCA's and Stock uppers. Brake pads, steel braided brake lines and Steel pad bushings.
I'll be runnning DOT tires and aftermarket wheels.

I've read in so many places that I need to “tighten the nut behind the wheel first” and I don't plan on getting anymore suspension parts for the car for now.

Anyway I have read beginners guides and newbie tips till my eyes have bleed. I have visited countless clubs sites and watched Many videos. That doesn't mean I know what the hell I'm taking about, everything seems to be running together. I have a few questions:

I have a car, a helmet and a willingness to help and learn. What else do I need? A SCCA membership? A Club membership? Is there some sort of arrive and drive option? I tried to pre register for an event in October but there were no classes on the on-line registration on this link http://solo2.motorsportreg.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I live in the Glendale area and I am defiantly willing to drive great distances to get to an event. But a 45 min drive is better than a 2 hour one, right? Do you ever have events at the Toyota Speedway in Irwindale?

Are there any rules about having a camera attached to the exterior of my car during a run? Many of your events are two days, even though I am green can I still run both days?

I know that is a lot of questions and I thank you in advance for your time and patience.

-John
David Barrish
Club: PSCC
Car#: 58

Re: I green as a bell pepper

Post by David Barrish »

John,

Welcome to the frey. Some of your best sources of information are out of town competing at the Nationals and will no dough respond next week.

That said your will not find a friendlier and more competitive group to help you. My recommendation is to keep the street tires, run in the novice group(CST) and ask for lots of rides at the Saturday practice events.

And your are correct, it all starts with the guy behind the wheel.

David Barrish
Last edited by David Barrish on Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Hi John,
Welcome to the site. I'll try to answer most of your questions, but I'll leave car classing options to others better qualified. And there are lots of other cars that are competitive in their respective classes than the two you mentioned.
John Brainard wrote: I've read in so many places that I need to “tighten the nut behind the wheel first”.
Absolutely true. In general very few of us were that competitive when we first started.

I have a car, a helmet and a willingness to help and learn. What else do I need? A SCCA membership? A Club membership? Is there some sort of arrive and drive option? I tried to pre register for an event in October but there were no classes on the on-line registration on this link http://solo2.motorsportreg.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You do need to be an SCCA member, however there are weekend memberships available at the event and the cost of that can be applied to a full membership later along with other first time discounts. Club membership is also optional the first year, although you can join one at any time once you get to know people. Nope, no arrive and drive. I'll probably post up the full info for the next Sunday event this week and open up registration. Registration for the practice will probably not be until everyone returns from Nationals and we work out the details.
I live in the Glendale area and I am defiantly willing to drive great distances to get to an event. But a 45 min drive is better than a 2 hour one, right? Do you ever have events at the Toyota Speedway in Irwindale?
We currently run at two venues, the former Marine base at El Toro and Auto Club Speedway in Fontana. Irwindale is not really big enough for our events.
Are there any rules about having a camera attached to the exterior of my car during a run? Many of your events are two days, even though I am green can I still run both days?
Cameras are no problem, many of us use them. There are guidelines for it, just don't have the link handy at the moment. Virtually all of our events are two day, Sunday has unlimited entry, Saturday has an entry limit and can be a little harder to get into due to the limit, but the up coming practices tend to be easier since the Nationals competitors won't be getting priority or have as big a need to get in. As David mentioned, even if you don't get in a practice you can show up and get rides with people to get a feel for what it's all about and get to know folks.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

You do need to be an SCCA member, however there are weekend memberships available at the event and the cost of that can be applied to a full membership later along with other first time discounts. Club membership is also optional the first year, although you can join one at any time once you get to know people. Nope, no arrive and drive. I'll probably post up the full info for the next Sunday event this week and open up registration. Registration for the practice will probably not be until everyone returns from Nationals and we work out the details.
I'm going to elaborate here as this part is really confusing to most. As Rick said you will need a SCCA membership, either full or temporary in order to run. This is the national organization that sanctions us. When you get this membership, you will need to select a regional organization. Our regional organization is Cal Club, our local parent. We are the solo arm of Cal Club. Within this solo community, we have individual clubs. Joining one of these clubs is the optional part Rick alluded to.

I'll disagree with Rick on one point. Autox Sunday is an arrive and drive in that you can just show up and purchase a temporary SCCA membership and an entry to the event that same day. We prefer that you pre-register, and you will save $10 on your entry fee by doing so. Either way, Autox Sunday registration closes at noon. To maximize you experience, I'd suggest arriving early so that you can learn the lay of the land and not feel rushed.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Robert Puertas
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

John,
The sub-frame connectors push you out of most "street" classes in Solo.
Locally we have CST and CSM, which are run-what-you-brung classes.
CST is for those wanting to run street tires with a treadwear rating of 140 or higher.
CSM is for those wanting to run DOT R tires rated less than 140.

In National SCCA classing you'd be looking at E-Street Prepared if your subframe connectors meet the following rule:

15.2 E. Longitudinal (fore-aft) subframe connectors (SFCs) are permitted
with the following restrictions:
1. They must only connect previously unconnected boxed frame rails
on unibody vehicles.
2. Each SFC must attach at no more than three points on the unibody
(e.g. front, rear, and one point in between such as a seat
mount brace or rocker box brace).
3. SFCs must be bolted or welded, but welding must be to the OE
subframe stampings, not to the floor pan in between.
4. No cutting of OE subframes or floorpan stampings is permitted.
Drilling is permitted for mounting bolts only.
5. No cross-car/lateral/triangulated connections directly between the
driver’s side and passenger’s side SFCs are permitted. Connections
to OE components such as tunnel braces or closure panels
via bolts are allowed and count as the third point of attachment.
No alteration to the OE components is permitted.
6. SFCs may not be used to attach other components (including but
not limited to torque arm front mounts or driveshaft loops) and
may serve no other purpose.

Welcome to the addiction!
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

His gear change lands him in SM.
Robert Puertas wrote:
In National SCCA classing you'd be looking at E-Street Prepared if your subframe connectors meet the following rule:
John Brainard

Post by John Brainard »

Hey guys thanks so much for responding to my questions!

Thanks for clearing the organization structure up. Once I get back on land I'll send in my SCCA membership application. After that I need to register for an event and arrive? When does registration typically open for a weekend event? I'll just keep an eye on that registration page I guess. Can I purchase a temporary SCCA membership at the event? The reason I ask is I may convince a friend or two to bring their cars, but it may be a spur of the moment thing for them. I plan on getting a full SCCA membership.

If my friends did make it but just wanted to watch or ride along, are there any fees associated? I'm sure there is some sort of waiver.

I'm pretty sure the SFC's are legal per those rules with the exception of number of connections. I’m not exactly sure how many welds there are under there. Originally I wanted them stitched up. I think now there are 4 welds, one on each side and end of the unibody attachment. But I'm sure they will let me drive anyway right? I'm just not in a points chase yet, am I? Haha!

What about coolant? I read somewhere that anti freeze is not allowed, only water and water weter or some such product. I guess its time to get a rule book.

Man I'm getting PUMPED! I just need a to fix a few more things and it will be ready. There is a minor oil leak from somewhere down there, (rear main seal? $&%) and I want to get the driver position just right, so new seat bracket and getting the seat cut and stuffed and what not.

What do you guys think about aftermarket pedals? I have some big shiny pedals down there now and I'm not sure if they are helping my heal toe technique. I have read somewhere. (corner-carvers?) that big pedals are garbage and I'm inclined to agree.

Thanks again!

-John
Robert Puertas
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:His gear change lands him in SM.
Robert Puertas wrote:
Oh right, I was thinking the Auto had the 4.10, but it was only 3.27...

First order of business is to put a decent limited slip in that thing. The stock unit was so bad, we had to rebuild them after every event.
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

There are no restrictions on coolant. Some folks run water, pump lube/anti-corrosion and Water Wetter.
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

CA Speedway, is only about 50 minutes from Glendale ... and is where most of the upcoming CSCC AX's take place.

There is also an upcoming AX at Camarillo Airport, Sept. 19th ... shorter and tighter then our events: https://sites.google.com/site/venturaco ... /autocross
John Brainard

The Stars have aligned.

Post by John Brainard »

Well, it looks like the stars have aligned and I'll finally finally be in town and available for one of the events posted on the event Calendar.

I plan on attending the Feb 25-26 event at the AAA speedway. I think I can pay the temporary SCCA membership at the track, but I will have to mail in payment for the two day event. There is just one problem, I am AT SEA until the 22nd! There is a possibility that I will be able to throw something in a mail box on the 17th, but is there no other way to pay this fee aside from snail mail?

I just found out about this scheduled event and I’m going to have to get back up to speed, as far as first timers are concerned.

So my plan is to, 1) register online using the motoreg link. 2). Mail a check. 3) show up.

This will be my very first event, what else do I have to do to make sure I can attend? Should I register for both days? I really don't expect to be competitive, and I don’t want to be a PITA newb. I plan on re reading all the links and whatnot on this and other sites.

As an aside I installed a panhard bar recently, which I hardly consider an upgrade. More like a necessity. Now I believe I have a good baseline car to build skills on.

Thanks for you help!
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Re: The Stars have aligned.

Post by Rick Brown »

John Brainard wrote:Well, it looks like the stars have aligned and I'll finally finally be in town and available for one of the events posted on the event Calendar.

I plan on attending the Feb 25-26 event at the AAA speedway. I think I can pay the temporary SCCA membership at the track, but I will have to mail in payment for the two day event. There is just one problem, I am AT SEA until the 22nd! There is a possibility that I will be able to throw something in a mail box on the 17th, but is there no other way to pay this fee aside from snail mail?

I just found out about this scheduled event and I’m going to have to get back up to speed, as far as first timers are concerned.

So my plan is to, 1) register online using the motoreg link. 2). Mail a check. 3) show up.

This will be my very first event, what else do I have to do to make sure I can attend? Should I register for both days? I really don't expect to be competitive, and I don’t want to be a PITA newb. I plan on re reading all the links and whatnot on this and other sites.

As an aside I installed a panhard bar recently, which I hardly consider an upgrade. More like a necessity. Now I believe I have a good baseline car to build skills on.

Thanks for you help!
Saturday and Sunday are separate events with separate requirements. For Sunday, you can register online (will save you $10) and pay at the event or just show up. There are no entry limitations. Saturday has limited entries and it's generally first come first serve. However, I'd suggest contacting George Schilling (the Event Chair) through this site (click the PM button in his post above) and he may work something out for you.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Support our Troops :thumbup:
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Locally, you'd be best to run in the CST (California Street Touring) class. Nationally, you might be even past Street Mod in prep depending on how your SFC's were installed.

I'd would private message George Schilling about your entry for Saturday's practice. Maybe something can be done to reserve your spot in the queue pending a check later. I'd definitely support that (George what say you!). Sunday is wide open. You don't need to send in a check for Sunday. You should pre-reg on MSR to save money and then pay for Sunday on site. You can get the Weekend membership on site Saturday or Sunday.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Steve Ekstrand wrote: You can get the Weekend membership on site Saturday or Sunday.
There is/was a discount or exeption on the weekend memberships for active military. I don't know if we've actually taken advantage of that here though.

Jay W
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Hi John,

If you'd like to attend Saturday, we'd be happy to hold a spot for you. Get registered as soon as you can and drop that check in the mail on the 17th. Be sure to let us know your plans so we can plan.

See you soon.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

Steve Ekstrand wrote: I'd would private message George Schilling about your entry for Saturday's practice. Maybe something can be done to reserve your spot in the queue pending a check later. I'd definitely support that (George what say you!). Sunday is wide open. You don't need to send in a check for Sunday. You should pre-reg on MSR to save money and then pay for Sunday on site. You can get the Weekend membership on site Saturday or Sunday.
Is there an echo in here?
John Brainard

Post by John Brainard »

I believe my SFCs are attached by three welds and a seat mount. I think I'm fit into the rules posted above otherwise though. But 4 connections, that puts me in a different box. I'll have to take a looksee, maybe knock a weld off, or something.

While I agree and echo “Support our troops!” I have to say that I am not active duty military. I should have been clear, as I have had this misunderstanding occur before. I'm just and ordinary Joe trying to make a buck in the oil transportation industry in the Gulf of Mexico. I dont want to get something I don’t deserve, even if it means passing on a reserved spot.

Anyway, I have registered online for both events. I'll see about getting a check mailed for the Saturday event ASAP.

As for the Sunday event, I signed up under the SM class, just taking a stab at it. I didn't see a CST class, I assume thats a local thing. I’m sure if it will be sorted out at the tech line.

Right now I don't give a damn what class I'm in, as long as I get to RUN!

So thats it? Send a check and show up?

I cant wait to shake hands and help out. And make a few ham handed runs.

I'll send a PM to George Schilling as suggested.

Thanks again!
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

John Brainard wrote: As for the Sunday event, I signed up under the SM class, just taking a stab at it. I didn't see a CST class, I assume thats a local thing. I’m sure if it will be sorted out at the tech line.
Re-classed into CST.
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

John Brainard wrote: So thats it? Send a check and show up?
Mostly. We will post the entry list for Saturday on the 14th.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
John Brainard

Post by John Brainard »

oooh, California Street Tire, CST. I was looking for California Street Touring CST. No worries.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Support the Merchant Marine! :? :oops: :lol:
John Brainard

Post by John Brainard »

Right! If I say Merchant Marine, they think I’m in the Marine Corps. If I’m a Sailor, its Navy. If I’m a Tankerman, I'm in the Army. If I’m a Pilot I’m in the Air Force. I’m looking for a job description that doesn’t require a disclaimer.

I think I’m going to try “I work off shore.” next and if that doesn’t work I’m going tell people I’m unemployed.

Im shopping a new helmet, Im thinking open face, just because they seem more practical to Autocross. Aside from the proper ratings and comfort, any not so obvious pitfalls I should avoid?
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

John Brainard wrote:Right! If I say Merchant Marine, they think I’m in the Marine Corps. If I’m a Sailor, its Navy. If I’m a Tankerman, I'm in the Army. If I’m a Pilot I’m in the Air Force. I’m looking for a job description that doesn’t require a disclaimer.

I think I’m going to try “I work off shore.” next and if that doesn’t work I’m going tell people I’m unemployed.

Im shopping a new helmet, Im thinking open face, just because they seem more practical to Autocross. Aside from the proper ratings and comfort, any not so obvious pitfalls I should avoid?
If you are only going to use it for autocross, an inexpensive motorcycle helmet is fine (Snell M rated, not DOT). If you plan on doing track days, you need something better.
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

Rick Brown wrote:
John Brainard wrote:Right! If I say Merchant Marine, they think I’m in the Marine Corps. If I’m a Sailor, its Navy. If I’m a Tankerman, I'm in the Army. If I’m a Pilot I’m in the Air Force. I’m looking for a job description that doesn’t require a disclaimer.

If you are only going to use it for autocross, an inexpensive motorcycle helmet is fine (Snell M rated, not DOT). If you plan on doing track days, you need something better.
The helmet needs to be at least this:
4.3.1 All helmets meeting the latest or two immediately preceding Snell Foundation standards (SA2010, SAH2010, SA2005, SA2000, M2010, M2005, M2000, K2010, K2005, K98), SFI standards 31.1, 41.1, 31.1A, 31.2A, 41.1A, 41.2A or British spec BS6658-85 type A/FR are acceptable.
You can tell if the helmet is ok if you look inside the helmet for the stickers shown in this link:
http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/Doc ... decals.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam