I green as a bell pepper

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Will Kalman
Club: PSCC
Car#: 232

Re: I green as a bell pepper

Post by Will Kalman »

John Brainard wrote:I think I’m going to try “I work off shore.”
Since you mention it, my Dell crashes sometime, can you help, "John"? :lol: ;)
John Brainard

Thats a feature, not a flaw.

Post by John Brainard »

So what happened? I did make it out there as many of you know, and the day started off with unbridled disaster. Catastrophe. Just about a block away from the track I could hear what was sure to be my battery hold down clip exiting the vehicle.

If I didn’t have a legal battery hold down clip, I wouldn't pass the tech inspection and I would be able to run. I crossed my fingers.

The inspection would not make it to the hood. The rear axle did have a little play in them, and when you jerked on the wheels, there was a little clunk noise. And based on this, the car failed inspection. And as much as it sucked, I respected that. I was used to a much more relaxed inspection at the drag strip.

My fees were refunded, and I was feeling pretty low.

But as it turns out, that axle shaft play is not a “flaw”, its a “feature”. In order to get the axles out, you have to remove a spring, and push the axles in to remove the C-clip. There is play designed into the axle in order to have this happen. I replaced the axles just a few months ago, and the c-clips were in great shape, so I didn't replace them. Besides, there was plenty of oil in there and I don't make enough power to break things back there. Thats probably just drag racing mentality. I imagine those C-clips are under a tremendous amount of stress autocrossing.

I wouldn't have known that this if it wasn't for Mike, the only other guy out there with a foxbody mustang. He is the one who set me straight on what was allowable play in the axle. If it weren't for him I probably would have gone home after lunch.

Anyway, after that conversation things started to happen. KJ was able to reverse all the paperwork, get my car teched. I had to scramble to find a bolt that would fit the battery hold down, and KJ was able to find a nut, but I ended up using a bolt/nut from a man named Steve. Steve actually took apart his camera mount to let me use a bolt from there! Unbelievable!

I’m sure I'm screwing up names, I'm really bad at names. There was a guy there who’s name I think is Bill? He was at the tech line, and drove an old BMW. He helped me quite a bit as well. He lent me a tool and I still have it, I tried to return it but when I went to look for him, I think he had left. I spent quite a lot of time with this guy and you would think I would remember his name. Yeesh.

It just seemed that there were people jumping up out of the ground to help me get running and I was blown away by that. What a great group of people! Thank you!

After it was determined that I could run, you couldn't slap the smile off my face. The days started pretty low and ended with the ultimate high. I had a BLAST. It was great to finally be able to put my car on the edge and shake things down a little bit.

I was able to get more than my fair share of runs, thanks to some generous organizers. My best run for the day was 55.904. Not bad for a first timer running a 23 year old Ford.

Will I be back? You bechyourass I will. Thanks again to Cal Club and everyone who helped me out! I hope I can return the favor.

-John
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Not the damn C-Clip fail.... I thought we jettisoned Mark Ewart to Florida years ago.

Gesh when tech failed my 2000 Dakota pick up for "blown rear wheel bearings", I snickered derisively at the pompous ignorant ass, grabbed a tech sticker, and dared the parrothead to try and stop me. But I'm not exactly a pleasant get along kinda guy. I figured he was lucky I didn't just run him over. Afterall, I was autocrossing a truck, what sort of sick mind butts heads with a guy racing a truck? A purple truck???

Glad it worked out for you John, with less drama than I'd have brought.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Not the damn C-Clip fail.... I thought we jettisoned Mark Ewart to Florida years ago.
Yeah, most autoxer's don't see too many solid rear axles. My truck used to 'fail' even at nationals. Just something you need to keep in mind and tell the tech inspector.

@Steve, I thought it was Houston? Hell, I've been avioding Houston this whole time just because of it.

Jay W
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Jayson Woodruff wrote: @Steve, I thought it was Houston? Hell, I've been avioding Houston this whole time just because of it.
Jay W

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Plenty of excellent reasons to avoid the Buffalo Bayou.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

John, when did you run ? I don't see you in the Results?

http://members.quixnet.net/free2000/cscc022612_fin.htm
John Brainard

Post by John Brainard »

I was at the test and tune on saturday, just getting my feet wet. I was planning on going to sundays competitions, but I discovered a brake issue that kept me from going. Apparently the car had brakes on only 3 wheels. Boo hoo. But looking at the times for my class, I would have been an amusing place holder anyway. Can't expect to compete on rain tires.

Next time I'll be better prepared, with a better car and driver. And I will compete.

I understand about the tech line not seeing these relativly primitive c clip RWD cars that often. Meh. No harm no foul. Next time I'll avoid the confusion and set the parking break. That fixes the play just fine. :roll:
Michael Sullivan
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 357

Post by Michael Sullivan »

As soon as I was told about a guy in a Mustang that didn't past tech because of a "clunk" in the rear end and maybe I could help him out, I knew exactly what it was. So I am glad I could help you out John. The smile on your face while you made your first runs was priceless.
Michael Sullivan
"The gas pedal isn't an on-and-off switch?!"
Davin Swanson
Car#: 979

Post by Davin Swanson »

Michael Sullivan wrote:As soon as I was told about a guy in a Mustang that didn't past tech because of a "clunk" in the rear end and maybe I could help him out, I knew exactly what it was. So I am glad I could help you out John. The smile on your face while you made your first runs was priceless.
Mike, thanks a lot for helping John out! Working tech can be a challenge- we're charged with making sure that every vehicle is safe, but we're far from experts. That's why we suggested that John seek you out to see if he could get things sorted out. After working with you and K.J., I'm glad he was able to get out there and get some runs in.

And John, thanks for being patient with the guys working Tech. I know it was a real letdown for you when we initially failed you. A lesser person would have had a fit, but you kept it together, sought out help from the right people, and they got you going again. We're all just trying to do the right thing for the participants and the club!