Spec Miata class?

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Brian Linn

Spec Miata class?

Post by Brian Linn »

I have a Spec Miata that I'm considering running in an autocross event. What class would it run in and what other cars are in that class?

How would old shaved Toyo RA-1's work? On the track it seems like they take some time to get up to temp and get sticky.

Thanks,
Brian
Max Hayter
Club: CASOC
Car#: 31

Re: Spec Miata class?

Post by Max Hayter »

I believe SM cars are legal for CSP.

CSP is full of highly modified Miatas.

Old, shaved RA-1's will probably suck, and even if they were fresh, they would not be competitive.

Still, the point would be to have fun, so you should come anyway :thumbup:
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

It's actually DSP, not CSP. It's a strange fit since miata's are mostly in CSP, but the SM are put in DSP because they have no chance of keeping up with a mildly prepared CSP miata.

You have to run it in by SM rules with the exception of any DOT tires and rims.

Jay W
Steve Coe
Car#: 75

Post by Steve Coe »

Cars eligible for the current Spec Miata rules are permitted to compete
in class D Street Prepared, with the additional allowance that they may
use any size of any tire which meets the requirements of 15.3 and fits
on the Spec Miata allowed wheels and within the allowed bodywork.
Spec Miata cars in DSP may not intermix use of the Spec Miata and
Street Prepared allowances. The competitor is responsible for being
in possession of the Spec Miata rules and for proving that his/her car
conforms to the rules.

page 91

http://www.scca.com/documents/2011%20Te ... 0Rules.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Of course locally you could run in our CPM class, a run-what-you-brung class, on R tires.

I drove Christian Austian's SM Miata on a AX course ... it felt surprisingly like a heavy pig. I guess the engine is peaky where it needs to be torque tuned. And yes, RA's would need a VERY Hot day to be at all useable in AX.

One of these days I'll probably try my ITA Miata in an AX

David Barrish
Club: PSCC
Car#: 58

Post by David Barrish »

Brian,

Having driven on RA-1's that were cast off's from a spec7 I would encourage you to come out and drive them until they turn white.

I found that they got better with time.

David Barrish
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Not CPM. That is combined Preps and Mods. Mako meant CSM. California Street Mod.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Brian Linn

Post by Brian Linn »

Thanks for all of the responses.

I do have some Hoosier slick/radials mounted up of 15" dia wheels, so it sounds like I could use them. The compound is probably harder than what is desirable for autocross, but if it's just to have fun, they should be good enough.

I can remove the roof for autocross - legal for SM on the track, but the aero drag hurts at high speeds. I would guess that getting rid of the weight up high is worth more than the drag factor for autocross. What are the top & average speeds on an average solo2 course? I know I'm overthinking this, but...

The SM brake pads are probably made for too high of a temp range too....would a street pad work better?
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Brian Linn wrote:Thanks for all of the responses.

I do have some Hoosier slick/radials mounted up of 15" dia wheels, so it sounds like I could use them. The compound is probably harder than what is desirable for autocross, but if it's just to have fun, they should be good enough.

I can remove the roof for autocross - legal for SM on the track, but the aero drag hurts at high speeds. I would guess that getting rid of the weight up high is worth more than the drag factor for autocross. What are the top & average speeds on an average solo2 course? I know I'm overthinking this, but...

The SM brake pads are probably made for too high of a temp range too....would a street pad work better?
Non-DOT slicks are not allowed in DSP, CSP or CSM, at that point you would be in DP.

You can heat the brakes up easy enough dragging the pedal from grid to the start.

Leave that turd at home and bring the FP car. 8-)