National SCCA Membership

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

National SCCA Membership

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Okay, I decided to finally take the plunge and get an SCCA membership. So I take the weekend membership form I got from NOTLD and the referral form from Gayle, enter the numbers and it says I owe $55. Whaaa? I thought each piece of paper entitled me to a $15 discount, and that the annual membership was $60. That would've meant I should owe $30, Right? So I call SCCA and they tell me the fees include dues for the CalClub region as well. But wait a minute...I thought by having a points card I'm already a member of CalClub. Not so, says the person on the other end of the phone.

So now I'm confused. Is being a points card holder completely different than being a member of CalClub? If they're the same thing, should I wait until after Oct. 1 to get my national membership, so my points card is good until 2010?
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Re: National SCCA Membership

Post by George Schilling »

Kurt Rahn wrote:Okay, I decided to finally take the plunge and get an SCCA membership. So I take the weekend membership form I got from NOTLD and the referral form from Gayle, enter the numbers and it says I owe $55. Whaaa? I thought each piece of paper entitled me to a $15 discount, and that the annual membership was $60. That would've meant I should owe $30, Right? So I call SCCA and they tell me the fees include dues for the CalClub region as well. But wait a minute...I thought by having a points card I'm already a member of CalClub. Not so, says the person on the other end of the phone.

So now I'm confused. Is being a points card holder completely different than being a member of CalClub? If they're the same thing, should I wait until after Oct. 1 to get my national membership, so my points card is good until 2010?
She's right Kurt. The points card is completely separate. Unfortunately we have to pay dues to Cal Club even though we receive no benefit. :roll:
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

George Schilling wrote: Unfortunately we have to pay dues to Cal Club even though we receive no benefit. :roll:
Sure we do George! A track day that most ST & SP convertibles are not eligible to do! :roll:
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Wow, that kinda makes it worth just paying for a weekend membership. At $60 it would allow me to attend a year's worth of events, but I'd be inclined to join anyway. But at $85 (SCCA+CalCLub), I could run all the CalClub events on a weekend membership as well as a couple SD regional events and still come out on top. Seems like someone didn't do the math. I'll probably end up getting a membership anyway, but I'm guessing for other noobs, it'll be a barrier to entry. Oh well.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

So out of curiosity, what are CalClub membership dues? From subtracting it looks like $25.
==============
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

$25
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Bob Beamesderfer
Club: PSCC

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Kurt Rahn wrote:So out of curiosity, what are CalClub membership dues? From subtracting it looks like $25.
Not every region charges $25 for dues.
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:
Kurt Rahn wrote:So out of curiosity, what are CalClub membership dues? From subtracting it looks like $25.
Not every region charges $25 for dues.
San Diego is $15. 8-)
Giovanni Jaramillo

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Kurt Rahn wrote:Is being a points card holder completely different than being a member of CalClub? If they're the same thing, should I wait until after Oct. 1 to get my national membership, so my points card is good until 2010?
the region's points card is only valid til the end of the calendar year, not a year from when you sign up. And if you can pay via PayPal. Save some trees! :)

Edited post to fix mistakes.
Last edited by Giovanni Jaramillo on Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Beamesderfer

Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:
Kurt Rahn wrote: Then in December sign up for your SCCA membership (because it...like the region's points card is only valid til the end of the calendar year, not a year from when you sign up). And if you can pay via PayPal. Save some trees! :)
Are you sure about that? I thought renewals were spread out across the year. I can't tell with mine because I joined in Dec. 2000.
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:Then in December sign up for your SCCA membership (because it...like the region's points card is only valid til the end of the calendar year, not a year from when you sign up).
That's not what my member card says! I got my SCCA membership last June and it expires in June.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

Kurt Rahn wrote:Is being a points card holder completely different than being a member of CalClub? If they're the same thing, should I wait until after Oct. 1 to get my national membership, so my points card is good until 2010?
Yes and prior to mandatory SCCA membership it really benefitted as you didn't have to join SCCA to compete locally. My suggestion is to get your points card after the Sept. event. That way you are considered a "new" member thus you get the rest of the year free (3 months Oct-Dec) and only pay for all of 2009. Then in December sign up for your SCCA membership (because it...like the region's points card is only valid til the end of the calendar year, not a year from when you sign up). And if you can pay via PayPal. Save some trees! :)
Uh, Gio, I think you are wrong on all accounts here:

1. He already has a local LA Points card (he is CASOC)
2. SCCA memberships are good for 1 year from your start date, mine expires in September, not December.

Kurt, the confusing part is that we call ourselves Cal Club, but we are only the Solo portion of Cal Club. There are also road racers. The Cal Club that is being refered to on the SCCA membership application is all of Cal Club. Thus the "Papa Cal Club" membership dues are in addition to the Solo Cal Club points card dues.
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
Giovanni Jaramillo

Christine Berry wrote:
Yes and prior to mandatory SCCA membership it really benefitted as you didn't have to join SCCA to compete locally. My suggestion is to get your points card after the Sept. event. That way you are considered a "new" member thus you get the rest of the year free (3 months Oct-Dec) and only pay for all of 2009. Then in December sign up for your SCCA membership (because it...like the region's points card is only valid til the end of the calendar year, not a year from when you sign up). And if you can pay via PayPal. Save some trees! :)
Uh, Gio, I think you are wrong on all accounts here:

1. He already has a local LA Points card (he is CASOC)
2. SCCA memberships are good for 1 year from your start date, mine expires in September, not December.

Kurt, the confusing part is that we call ourselves Cal Club, but we are only the Solo portion of Cal Club. There are also road racers. The Cal Club that is being refered to on the SCCA membership application is all of Cal Club. Thus the "Papa Cal Club" membership dues are in addition to the Solo Cal Club points card dues.
Damn time to delete my post! Sorry didn't see his # (unlike the old forums). For some reason I thought it was to the calendar year. I guess I've always renewed in December.
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

"I see," said the blind man ;-)
==============
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Kurt Rahn wrote:Wow, that kinda makes it worth just paying for a weekend membership. At $60 it would allow me to attend a year's worth of events, but I'd be inclined to join anyway. But at $85 (SCCA+CalCLub), I could run all the CalClub events on a weekend membership as well as a couple SD regional events and still come out on top. Seems like someone didn't do the math.
CSCC Solo chooses to charge ONLY $5 for the weekend memberships. MSRP is $15, which most all regions charge, including San Diego. You also won't be able to enter Tours and Pros without an annual.

Jay W
Cam Correa
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 306

Points Card Talk

Post by Cam Correa »

Well, I'm a newbie & just went for it & got my own points card. :thumbup:
http://www.Class3Racing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.TheWebWheeler.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kurt Rahn

Re: Flyers are up - September 13th/14th Practice Championship

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Congrats, Cam!! Are you coming to the Sept. Event?
==============
Cam Correa
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 306

Post by Cam Correa »

Kurt Rahn wrote:Congrats, Cam!! Are you coming to the Sept. Event?
Yeah I told My boss I want those days off & will fight him on this one.

& I hoping to get in there & help set up the course on Sat morning.
I figure being a newbie that would be most helpful to me. :thumbup:

I got my points card for the year #306.
I actually picked that number because that was the same number I had for the MINT 400 off road race. :thumbup:
& my Bronco & dually already have the numbers on them. :mrgreen:
http://www.Class3Racing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.TheWebWheeler.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Giovanni Jaramillo

Cam Correa wrote:I got my points card for the year #306.
Make sure to update your profile on the forums to show your # and club. It doesn't crossover from the main board. Did you get your card in the mail by the way?
Doug Brown
Car#: 0

Post by Doug Brown »

I just signed up for the scca as well. Got a card in the mail and guess its a points card. :?:

Just want to drive. See you guys Sept. 14th at Cal Speedway!!
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Welcome! I just started autox about six months ago and I'm now asking myself why I didn't start 20 years ago. See you in Sept.!
==============
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

SCCA membership card has nothing at all to do with our region pointscard.

They are dragonfruit and avocado's. Or was that apples and oranges?
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

I was trying not to confuse him. ;)
==============
Bob Beamesderfer

Steve Ekstrand wrote:SCCA membership card has nothing at all to do with our region pointscard.

They are dragonfruit and avocado's. Or was that apples and oranges?
RWD and FWD :D
Giovanni Jaramillo

Doug Brown wrote:I just signed up for the scca as well. Got a card in the mail and guess its a points card. :?:
No it's not. As others mentioned they are separate. In the past there was a difference in that you didn't have to join SCCA to compete in our region and earn points for the year-end championship. But now you do have to be an SCCA member. And if you don't get a points card you can still compete....just not for the year-end championship for your class.

If you want a points card go here: http://www.solo2.com/PurchasePC.asp