What am I a member of?

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

What am I a member of?

Post by KJ Christopher »

Ah, the political map of the SCCA can be confusing.....

The SCCA is divided into divisions (we are the Southern Pacific division), and most divisions are divided into regions. The Southern Pacific division consists of:

Arizona Border - #88
Arizona - #2
Big Island of Hawaii - #112
Cal Club (CSCC) - #19
Guam - #111
Hawaii - #46
Las Vegas - #72
San Diego - #57

Ok, so your SCCA membership card should say your a member of the CSCC Region, or Region 19. CSCC runs several programs: Solo, Rally, Rallycross and Club Racing. We are the Solo arm.

Now, some regions are further divided. I know that San Diego is, as well as CSCC. These aren't official SCCA divisions, but rather an organic development from long ago, when the SCCA got involved in autocross.

Pre-SCCA, there was a sanctioning body called the Southern California Council of Sports Car Clubs, or SCCSCC. It was made up of various clubs, such as the Datsun club, SCNAX, PSCC, GRA, CASOC, as well as several others. A club would host an event and all the other club's members would show up to run. Without the SCCA as a national leadership body, it was simply an association of clubs that did the same thing (autocross) and standardized their rules. When the SCCA got involved, they essentially copied the SCCSCC rule book and the clubs became the CSCC Solo group within CSCC (Cal Club).

But locally, given the history, it was decided that it would continue to be run in that format, as a group of clubs to put on events and govern the Solo events in the region. So, the CSCC region is sub-divided locally and each club elects a representative to be on the Solo board.

As of 2012, the local CSCC Solo clubs are:

CASOC (they don't remember exactly what it stands for)
PSCC (Pacific Sports Car Club)
GRA (Guldstrand Racing Association)
SCNAX (Sport Compact National Autocross Club)
TCC (Team CalClub)
No$ (No Bucks)

When you get a local number for your car, you pick which club you want to be in. (This is the one to three digit, permanent number on your door, not the six digit SCCA member number. We call it a points card, because it puts you in the annual points tracking system. But we don't issue an actual card anymore.)

So, to answer your question, you're a member of the SCCA. If you don't have a points card, you run a 600-699 number on your car for the Sunday events. If you'd like to get more involved, you can join one of the region's clubs by purchasing a points cards at: http://solo2.com/PurchasePC.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Re: What am I a member of?

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Hmm... some things I know.

I don't think any division is NOT divided into regions.

Some regions are further divided geographically into 'Chapters'. SFR has at least one in Fresno, maybe another in Sacremento. Flagstaff periodically tries to spin off of 'Arizona'.

The 'merge' definitly predates SCNAX.

Jay W
Anthony Munoz
Club: PSCC
Car#: 50

Post by Anthony Munoz »

KJ Christopher wrote:Ah, the political map of the SCCA can be confusing.....
Back in the "old" days, CASOC referred to themselves as Crazy And Stupid Over Cars ;)
"Smooth is fast, but fast is quicker"
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Anthony Munoz wrote:
KJ Christopher wrote:Ah, the political map of the SCCA can be confusing.....
Back in the "old" days, CASOC referred to themselves as Crazy And Stupid Over Cars ;)

In the old OLD days I think they called it California All Sedan Owners Club (George and KJ drive Sedans right?). Later on we called it Christine's Autocross Society Of California. Of course, there was a time when it was called Craig Angel's Stupid Old Club.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Curt Thompson
Car#: 303

Post by Curt Thompson »

So last year I ran a couple events with no club. This year, when I sign up for the points card, I have to pick a club, right? Then, when my club hosts an event, I'm expected to show up and help out with gate or reg or whatever... is that all correct? Is there any reason to pick one club over another?
1999 Mazda Miata
Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Curt Thompson wrote:So last year I ran a couple events with no club. This year, when I sign up for the points card, I have to pick a club, right? Then, when my club hosts an event, I'm expected to show up and help out with gate or reg or whatever... is that all correct? Is there any reason to pick one club over another?
You got it right.

The reason to pick one club over another is really just the people in the club. Who do you get along with? That's why we give novices a year with no club, to try and figure that out.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.